ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Undercover at Amazon

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Undercover at Amazon

Post by fishtank »

Brain Fury wrote:You don't incentivise (I assume you mean pay extra money) people to achieve a minimum acceptable standard.

How can an average workrate ever be a minimum acceptable standard?
That makes no sense at all.

If we assume that they cull/relocate pickers who don't achieve this workrate the only pickers you have left are either working at average or above which means your average workrate has just gone up and those who were working at the old average are now below the new average and have to be culled and so the cycle continues until you have 1 picker left.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Undercover at Amazon

Post by Budfrog »

fishtank wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:You don't incentivise (I assume you mean pay extra money) people to achieve a minimum acceptable standard.

How can an average workrate ever be a minimum acceptable standard?
That makes no sense at all.

If we assume that they cull/relocate pickers who don't achieve this workrate the only pickers you have left are either working at average or above which means your average workrate has just gone up and those who were working at the old average are now below the new average and have to be culled and so the cycle continues until you have 1 picker left.
For this to be possible everyone would need to be working at the minimum which would never happen.
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Undercover at Amazon

Post by Brain Fury »

fishtank wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:You don't incentivise (I assume you mean pay extra money) people to achieve a minimum acceptable standard.

How can an average workrate ever be a minimum acceptable standard?
That makes no sense at all.

If we assume that they cull/relocate pickers who don't achieve this workrate the only pickers you have left are either working at average or above which means your average workrate has just gone up and those who were working at the old average are now below the new average and have to be culled and so the cycle continues until you have 1 picker left.
If the minimum standard is the average. Is that what Amazon do? I don't know. As I said, when I worked in a warehouse the minimum standard was 90% of the average.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Undercover at Amazon

Post by DB1100 »

I'm not saying Amazon are brilliant,but just remember it's Panorama and they can make any firm look good or bad,that distance tracker they gave the young lad is it any different to the apps that we use that say we walk 12 or more miles in a day,what about the shock to the system it was we we first started delivery.Also agency workers always get the worst jobs whatever they do,we didn't see what breaks the lad got or they might have a highly subsidised canteen and really good meals.Just take these programmes with a pinch of salt.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Undercover at Amazon

Post by Budfrog »

Brain Fury wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:You don't incentivise (I assume you mean pay extra money) people to achieve a minimum acceptable standard.

How can an average workrate ever be a minimum acceptable standard?
That makes no sense at all.

If we assume that they cull/relocate pickers who don't achieve this workrate the only pickers you have left are either working at average or above which means your average workrate has just gone up and those who were working at the old average are now below the new average and have to be culled and so the cycle continues until you have 1 picker left.
If the minimum standard is the average. Is that what Amazon do? I don't know. As I said, when I worked in a warehouse the minimum standard was 90% of the average.
This is a similar problem with that which exists with RMs forced normal distribution for marking their managers. Assuming you are successful in to offloading the poor performers (ie those that do not achieve the 90%, or in RM's case the bottom 10%) you automatically raise the average or in RM's case artificially skew the normal distribution and lose all objectivity.
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Undercover at Amazon

Post by Brain Fury »

Budfrog wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:You don't incentivise (I assume you mean pay extra money) people to achieve a minimum acceptable standard.

How can an average workrate ever be a minimum acceptable standard?
That makes no sense at all.

If we assume that they cull/relocate pickers who don't achieve this workrate the only pickers you have left are either working at average or above which means your average workrate has just gone up and those who were working at the old average are now below the new average and have to be culled and so the cycle continues until you have 1 picker left.
If the minimum standard is the average. Is that what Amazon do? I don't know. As I said, when I worked in a warehouse the minimum standard was 90% of the average.
This is a similar problem with that which exists with RMs forced normal distribution for marking their managers. Assuming you are successful in to offloading the poor performers (ie those that do not achieve the 90%, or in RM's case the bottom 10%) you automatically raise the average or in RM's case artificially skew the normal distribution and lose all objectivity.
I believe it was an idea imported from McKinseys consultants although afaik it was never used that way in RM. Anyway they don't have forced distribution now.