ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Safeplacing packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MOSCOW FYLER
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 20:56
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by MOSCOW FYLER »

Only leave parcels out of sight in sheds/greenhouses for people who tip me at Xmas but don't go out of my way to knock on neighbours doors or leave parcels anywhere for people who don't. Having read all these posts though I thinking is it worth loosing your job for a bottle of plonk....
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Shaman Mao wrote: I always take a photo of the label and where I left the parcel.
shouldnt be doing that, your breaking the law by doing that,
Hjones9007
Posts: 16
Joined: 29 Jun 2013, 20:44
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by Hjones9007 »

I only ever leave tracked with a designated safe place on the label in the designated safe place otherwise I p739 it and bring it back regardless of notes on doors etc.

Just think if someone followed you and saw you place the parcel in a bin or shed and then took it. Who would be to blame!!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Shaman Mao wrote: I always take a photo of the label and where I left the parcel.
shouldnt be doing that, your breaking the law by doing that,
i bet youve got plenty of friends
only trying to help the guy from breaking the law and getting into trouble
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 27 Nov 2013, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal comment removed
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by arnold cheshire »

does it say you can not take a photo in public ? all the rules say you can not take photos videos on royal mail property
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:does it say you can not take a photo in public ? all the rules say you can not take photos videos on royal mail property
Taking photographs of names and addresses on labels is a breach of the data protection act
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by fishtank »

I wouldn't advise taking photos of anything work related,on RM property,in a van or on customer's property.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by arnold cheshire »

i always write safe place item on the docket so you are covered but then again i might get done for defacing a rm item hey zx135?
Rudolph_Hucker
Posts: 196
Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male
Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by Rudolph_Hucker »

Shaman Mao wrote:Trackeds should only be safeplaced if there are specific instructions on the packet i.e "Safeplace - in garage, behind shed" etc. I always take a photo of the label and where I left the parcel.

For ordinary parcels I wouldn't leave them anywhere unless the customer has set up an official safeplace. I have 3 on my walk and they've all sent written confirmation to the DOM.
What defense is that if a parcel goes missing?
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

CAPS ON BECAUSE YES I AM ANGRY

BOTH OF YOU ARE GETTING PERSONAL AND BOTH OF YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE OTHER DOING THE SAME THING AS WHAT YOU ARE GUILTY OF.

IF IT CONTINUES I WILL ISSUE A TEMP BAN OF 1 DAY FOR BOTH OF YOU.

CAN I MAKE IT ANY CLEARER

1. Do not make any personal comments.
2. Do not make any direct accusations we are not a court and we can't rule on it.

Now any chance of behaving like adults and making this unpaid voluntary job of moderating RMC a little easier.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by motch »

"use delivery to neighbour to maximise the volume of first-time parcel delivery and reduce the volumes returned to the enquiry office for collection or redilvery" quote from a christmas leaflet from RM.. so if a neighbour says they didn't receive it who do RM believe?
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by S6 Stroller »

zx135 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:does it say you can not take a photo in public ? all the rules say you can not take photos videos on royal mail property
Taking photographs of names and addresses on labels is a breach of the data protection act
Quite odd really, because we've been told by our DOM to do precisely that. If a Tracked item has a specific Safeplace instruction on it, we are advised to take a photo of it to 'cover yourself'. The thinking, if indeed there is any, seems to go along these lines ; Since the instruction has been printed on the label by the sender, they have basically okayed it being left in that place. If it goes walkies, presumably it's their tough sh*t. Until it actually happens obviously and then the postie gets in the neck, as usual.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by sussexlad »

fishtank wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:I've had SD's with 'please leave in safe place if out' written on them.
I went to a door with an SD and there was a note saying leave at number whatever,so I 739,d it and as I'm walking down the path the woman from number whatever comes out and says you've to leave it with me...
I can't.
Why not?
I'm not allowed.
Why not?
It's against our security procedure.
But I got a flyer saying you could leave with neighbours.
Not this though,It's a special delivery.
Why not?
It's a special delivery.It's against our security procedure.
You're an awkward c***.
Pardon
f**k Off.
Have a nice day.

Customers...don't you just love them. :cuppa
If a customer spoke to me like that I would be asking my DOM about suspending deliveries to that customers address :no no
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by fishtank »

sussexlad wrote:If a customer spoke to me like that I would be asking my DOM about suspending deliveries to that customers address :no no
After 20 years of it,it just makes me laugh.
I'm not precious enough to get upset,insecure enough to get spooked or interested enough to give a flying f**k what some punter thinks of me.
All it does is break up an otherwise boring day. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by sussexlad »

fishtank wrote:
sussexlad wrote:If a customer spoke to me like that I would be asking my DOM about suspending deliveries to that customers address :no no
After 20 years of it,it just makes me laugh.
I'm not precious enough to get upset,insecure enough to get spooked or interested enough to give a flying f**k what some punter thinks of me.
All it does is break up an otherwise boring day. :cuppa
Oh I could take it no problems but I would do it just so the customer knows who has the upper hand regarding their deliveries. Nothing would give me me greater pleasure then see them standing in the rain waiting to get into the callers office to pick up their mail!! I might even give them a little toot and a wave as I drive past. :dance