ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Safeplacing packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
billyboy123
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Nov 2011, 18:31
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by billyboy123 »

i dont leave any anywhere take them back to the office that way you cover your back my customers understand when they ask me to leave here or leave there i just tell them if anything goes missing i could be sacked and am not prepaired to lose my job for the sake of me delivering it next day or if its urgent they can always pick it up themselves and would never leave a tracked whatever it says on it cos i know who would get the blame having scanned it and said delivered
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by OnAFlyer »

I don't Safeplace anything no matter what it says on the packet, as far as I'm concerned unless the customer has made it official in writing then nothing gets left.
billyboy123
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Nov 2011, 18:31
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by billyboy123 »

spot on onaflyer
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by gary1975 »

i bring everything back :dance i even have pleasure returning the 5 parcels a day that the dole wallers order while they are out on the fiddle,when they put a note on the door asking for them to be left with neighbours :dance
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32816
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by POSTMAN »

andy3665 wrote:Here's the big question:

Is it a sackable offence for the first time you've done it?
Yes,just pray your managers partner put out the night before.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Shaman Mao
Posts: 133
Joined: 03 Jan 2013, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by Shaman Mao »

Trackeds should only be safeplaced if there are specific instructions on the packet i.e "Safeplace - in garage, behind shed" etc. I always take a photo of the label and where I left the parcel.

For ordinary parcels I wouldn't leave them anywhere unless the customer has set up an official safeplace. I have 3 on my walk and they've all sent written confirmation to the DOM.
Pete22
Posts: 127
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Gender: Male
Location: Cook-coo land

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by Pete22 »

andy3665 wrote:What is the procedure for putting parcels in agreed "safeplaces"?

Many of my customers are happy for me to leave their parcels in sheds, garages or bins.

But on monday I left a packet in a wheelie bin and didn't realise it was bin day and the bin got emptied.
Similar happened to me today .:-\
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by Lounge Lizard »

andy3665 wrote:Here's the big question:

Is it a sackable offence for the first time you've done it?
Colleagues of mine have had a two year warning for leaving a packet in a wheely bin that's then emptied :sad: but it could be sacking or a less serious telling off, just depends on the manager.
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by borgpicard »

if they cant be bothered to be in when i turn up with their packets, i gladly deliver it to a safe place !, back in the locker. :nana
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by redneck »

You can of course deliver to a neighbour now. We pouch off at a local post office when finished not back at the delivery office, and there is more hassle with them sending them back to the mail centre in error or not finding them after being given them. We are then temporarily accused of having lost them. Plus all these P739 parcels cluttering up the back of an already full van is annoying.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I've had SD's with 'please leave in safe place if out' written on them.

Never leave anything anywhere.
Either they open the door and take it off me, or it goes back to the office. No leeway.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by fishtank »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:I've had SD's with 'please leave in safe place if out' written on them.
I went to a door with an SD and there was a note saying leave at number whatever,so I 739,d it and as I'm walking down the path the woman from number whatever comes out and says you've to leave it with me...
I can't.
Why not?
I'm not allowed.
Why not?
It's against our security procedure.
But I got a flyer saying you could leave with neighbours.
Not this though,It's a special delivery.
Why not?
It's a special delivery.It's against our security procedure.
You're an awkward c***.
Pardon
f**k Off.
Have a nice day.

Customers...don't you just love them. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

fishtank wrote:Customers...don't you just love them. :cuppa
I had a neighbour asking for an SD once.
And much like your scenario (but without the abuse!), they asked to take it.
When I refused (repeatedly), they threatened to report me.
I said fair enough, you do that, while I'll leave this card.
They came out as I was about to leave, and started writing something down, I asked what.
The bloke said he was taking down my Reg number to0 report me.
I told him he didn't need that. I pointed to the fleet number above the windscreen and said write that down.
I then told him my name, my bosses name/job title, and direct phone number.
He didn't believe they were genuine, told him they were.
He asked why I would help when I was going to be 'in trouble'.
I told him that at least I was being polite and helpful, providing good customer service.
He agreed.
I then said that he was going to ring my boss and grass me up for doing my job properly...... :angel
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by arnold cheshire »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:I've had SD's with 'please leave in safe place if out' written on them.

Never leave anything anywhere.
Either they open the door and take it off me, or it goes back to the office. No leeway.
no such service for a SD :funneh
Lenston
Posts: 15
Joined: 14 Sep 2012, 21:53
Gender: Male

Re: Safeplacing packets

Post by Lenston »

I recently had an SD letter with 'If out please leave in cupboard by front door'. So not only did the sender expect me to 'safeplace' a special, they clearly wanted me to sign for it too! :roll: