ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman retires after 32 years of service

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman retires after 32 years of service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=39301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POSTMAN Paul Clegg has retired after serving Checkendon for more than 32 years.

The 65-year-old, who lives in the village with his wife Anne, began his career with Royal Mail in January 1981.

He worked five days a week, getting up at 4.30am to start his rounds and finishing in the early afternoon.

He was based at the post office in the village stores in Whitehall Lane, which has a small sorting office.

In the early years, Mr Clegg also served the area around Checkendon, including parts of Woodcote, and used to deliver on a bicycle until this was replaced by a van.

He said he enjoyed working outdoors and the villagers were always friendly. “The thing I’ll miss most is the customers,” said Mr Clegg.

“I’ve known them for years, in some cases before I even started as a postman. People have said they’re sad to see me go. What I won’t miss is having to get up in all weathers. I still wake up early now because my body’s so used to it.”

Mr Clegg was born in Pangbourne and grew up in Goring Heath before moving to Checkendon in the Eighties. Before becoming a postman he worked as a dustman and a beer delivery driver for an independent brewer in Goring.

He said: “I loved the job in the beginning but I’m glad to be gone because it has changed so much. They use a lot of technology but I much prefer pen and paper.”

Bal Budesha, who owns the village shop, said: “Paul has been 100 per cent reliable and the regular customers really miss him.

“If someone was out when he was delivering a parcel he would come back and try again in the afternoon. He always went above and beyond to help people.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Postman retires after 32 years of service

Post by OnAFlyer »

Good on him, he's one of the lucky ones who has seen the best years of RM. I'm not sure why 32 years is such a newsworthy achievement though, half a dozen people in my office have done more than that.
silly suffolk
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 728
Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
Gender: Male
Location: deepest suffolk

Re: Postman retires after 32 years of service

Post by silly suffolk »

his badge isn't dry yet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Postman retires after 32 years of service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

silly suffolk wrote:his badge isn't dry yet.
Its never dry when you are on deliveries Image :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Postman retires after 32 years of service

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"Before becoming a postman he worked as a dustman and a beer delivery driver for an independent brewer in Goring." :shock: The last brewery in Goring was Gundry & Co which, with its eighteen tied houses, was acquired by Brakspear & Sons Ltd. in 1940 and closed in 1949 - so if Mr Clegg did work for them as a drayman his working life must have spanned well over well over sixty years yet he's only a "65-year-old". :crazy: