ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tips etiquette
-
mailmonkey
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
Been a floater/reserve for 10 years.
A couple of the regulars I cover for have given me a box of chocolates they don;t like, or an unwanted bottle of sherry.
Some customers have given tips to ME. A few times I've diligently handed any tips in to the regular, and barely had a thanks back, i think they are embarassed they don't give me anything, so don't like to look me in the eye when they take 'their' tips from me.
A couple of the regulars I cover for have given me a box of chocolates they don;t like, or an unwanted bottle of sherry.
Some customers have given tips to ME. A few times I've diligently handed any tips in to the regular, and barely had a thanks back, i think they are embarassed they don't give me anything, so don't like to look me in the eye when they take 'their' tips from me.
-
CharlesSpooner
- Posts: 383
- Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
I've had my floater try to give me one of my tips. Told him to keep it - far as I'm concerned if he happens to be on the round when a customer gives a tip then it's his.
Good luck to him - I've already been paid once by RM.
Good luck to him - I've already been paid once by RM.
-
wiganpostie
- Posts: 670
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
My P&L partner and I share Christmas tips, which means that we have to open any envelopes we receive in the van. I'm sure we'll end up in a grainy youtube video one of these days, or on the front page of the Daily Mail website.fishtank wrote:Never open the envelope in front of the customer.
First of all it's bad form but also If it's just a card you'll never keep that look of disappointment off your face and of course it doesn't look too good having a postie rummaging through envelopes in the middle of the street.
-
philip69
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 17 Nov 2013, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
I got a tip one year not to walk over their grass again,no money just abuse off the customer!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Tips etiquette
Not necessarily.Brains wrote:Yes you should get 1/6 of the tips as a floater. If not then keep the tips you do get on those rounds. Last time I was a floater I handed over tips to the regular postie one xmas expecting a bit back but got nothing. From then on every year I pocketed the lot if I was on his round, sod him.mickeymacca wrote:Well done you, 6 xmas's not a sausage from any of my colleagues who I cover days off for....(5 duties)Lounge Lizard wrote:My day off cover does the decent thing and hands me the tip the next day.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I am the opposite - I am a walk holder and I share my tips with the day off cover.BernardBresslaw wrote:If you are covering another post mans round I have always done the decent thing and collected on their behalf and they have always seen me ok. Honesty pays. I'm a day off cover for the same 3 posties and have been for a few years now, and do likewise. Some customers now know me enough to tip me specifically but I always see it as the duty holders tip otherwise.![]()
I then do the decent thing and say "No, you don't get many tips, you have it" and he accepts saying that I'm the only one to share my tips in this way.
Do you think it should be like D2Ds you get 1/6 th of all tips(joke)
I get £300 ( £400 including bottles ) of tips because I do the properly.
The floater cuts corners, like doorstepping, and so, in my opinion, does not deserve one -sixth of all the tips.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
No need to squabble this year boys, we'll all be getting a Christmas tip courtesy of RM and the negotiators - of course there may be a leeetle price to pay.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Tips etiquette
RBL and BLESMA for meDB1100 wrote:I do,but I also give the RBL and ABF a donationTrueBlueTerrier wrote:I am the opposite - I am a walk holder and I share my tips with the day off cover.BernardBresslaw wrote:If you are covering another post mans round I have always done the decent thing and collected on their behalf and they have always seen me ok. Honesty pays. I'm a day off cover for the same 3 posties and have been for a few years now, and do likewise. Some customers now know me enough to tip me specifically but I always see it as the duty holders tip otherwise.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Spartacus
- Posts: 533
- Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:41
- Location: Wales
Re: Tips etiquette
Worked as a floater for years and always got a sixth off the regulars, always handed over anything I got to them as well.
This year me and my partner are pooling our tips and giving a third to the floater and splitting the rest, expect about £200 each.
Couldn't look the floater in the eye if I ripped him off.
There's a lot of trust involved, most in our office do it the same way.
This year me and my partner are pooling our tips and giving a third to the floater and splitting the rest, expect about £200 each.
Couldn't look the floater in the eye if I ripped him off.
There's a lot of trust involved, most in our office do it the same way.
Delivery
Resistance is fertile
Resistance is fertile
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
So as a floater on a regular round on her day off, if someone chooses to give me a tip I'm meant to give it to her the next day and not keep it myself??
-
MOSCOW FYLER
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 20:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
Bloody hell its a bit dog eat dog with the tips, are some offices that bad
5 rurals in our office( I do one) all the same lads have done them for 7/8 years plus.
We have a float who does a different one every day.
At Xmas we all keep our own tips and each give our float £20 and a couple of bottles
5 rurals in our office( I do one) all the same lads have done them for 7/8 years plus.
We have a float who does a different one every day.
At Xmas we all keep our own tips and each give our float £20 and a couple of bottles
-
Stella102
- Posts: 597
- Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
finders keepers. last time i gave a tip to a postman they gave nothing in return so f**k them all.
-
deristrong
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
I heard about one postie who sent most of his customers a Christmas card and his tips trebled that year. Apart from some thinking him a bit of a twat he did very nicely. Have others done this?
-
SP115
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Location: Location
Re: Tips etiquette
Nice first post ^^
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Tips etiquette
Im lucky to get £50 of tips on my round that are all mostly on benefits, the dustmen always seem to get a lot more though
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Tips etiquette
Just put on your cor-blimey trousers on then........eastie wrote: the dustmen always seem to get a lot more though
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.