ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by sindba »

This sounds like me 2 years ago. I was in a very similar position.

"Bluddy office, but Postie, that'd be a nice job for a while".

Everything you've read on here? It's all true. In fact, sometimes I read the grumbles on here and think "it's not like that! It's much, much worse".

Do. Not. Do. It. Do not. Don't. Stay where you are. Do. Not. Give. Up. Your. Office. Job. And. Become. A. Postie. DO NOT. I can't be clearer than that!
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by Darren Bent »

You won't be working on your own as you will be working with another postman doing 2 walks together in Park and Loop scheme (Depend on your delivery Office) Basically it is sharing a van together and deliver everything together. Stay in your job, as if you decided Posties is not for you, you will find it hard to get another job in IT.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by Jpro747 »

I think it depends on which delivery office you work at. Where i work most are friendly and the union membership is strong, our rep is good as gold, and nobody gets any s##t from manager. But there are some offices out there which are badly managed and morale is low, bullying is rife etc.. If you were considering joining then i would do a little reasearch, perhaps ask your local postie for advice and what he thinks of the job, or visit the office which you're applying to.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mysterio wrote:Hello all :-)

Absolutely pig sick of office work (work in IT Support) and at 38, looking to move into a Postie Role. Something with the kind of stress I can handle easier. Computers totally stress me out nowadays.

Generally, do you friendly neighbourhood Posties enjoy the Job?

Any tips please also on the application/Interview process?

The role is a 3 month Temp Contract Delivery Person with Driving - if I keep everyone happy am I likely to have this extended, or will I just be let go?

Assuming I am successful (how difficult is it to "get in"?) are there any things to watch out for (apart from Dogs!)

Any wise advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Mysterio

Go for it - I worked in a customer care role 10 years ago, and like your job its not as easy as most people think it is.

Postie work is not stress free, but the stress is of a different and lesser magnitude. As long as your are relatively fit, not afraid of hard work or of standing up for yourself, and are approachable and switched on then I would recommend this job to anyone.

Its not a job for everyone though, but it is definitely worth trying, and if it does not work out at least you'll have another life experience to guide you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
star2010
Posts: 130
Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by star2010 »

:funneh
Have a laugh you be wishing you was back in your warm office with a cup of tea once you been out on a round in the pissing down rain for 4 hours.
star2010
Posts: 130
Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by star2010 »

star2010 wrote::funneh
Have a laugh you be wishing you was back in your warm office with a cup of tea once you been out on a round in the pissing down rain for 4 hours.
Good luck all the same tho buddy , you may enjoy it.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by saddlerposty »

the job is like marmite you either love it or hate it.
me ? I love it ....especially on toast with a cup of tea.
Member 34
Posts: 58
Joined: 28 Nov 2009, 21:15
Gender: Male

Re: Advice Please - Thinking of Applying

Post by Member 34 »

Please don't give up your job - you're one of my favourite supervillains.







By the way, Spidey's real name is Peter Parker, but you didn't hear it from me OK? :whistle