ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Thieves targeting elderly for pension money Barkingside PO

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Thieves targeting elderly for pension money Barkingside PO

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Thieves ‘targeting elderly for pension money’ at Barkingside Post Office

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/cr ... _1_2973198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heartless thieves are stealing pension money from elderly people after following them from Barkingside Post Office, it is believed.

Elizabeth Russo, 82, had just withdrawn £145 to last her a week when it disappeared from her handbag minutes later.

She said: “I put the money away in an envelope but when I went to check it, it was gone.

“I was devastated. I walk with a stick and I’m disabled so I can’t walk fast and even if I’d seen the thief I couldn’t have chased them.”

When Mrs Russo returned to the post office, in High Street, to see if the money was there, she said staff told her other elderly customers had been targeted by thieves for pension money.

It is not the first time elderly people have been preyed on in Redbridge.

Earlier this year, youths sprayed a 72-year-old in the face with pepper spray and pushed him to the ground to steal £500 outside Barclays bank in Cranbrook Road, Gants Hill.

On the same day, an 86-year-old man had £300 stolen after left a bank by a man who distracted him using a map.

Mrs Russo, who lives alone, had to use a credit card to pay for bills.

It was the fourth time she has been targeted by thieves.

Her purse was taken in charity shop Scope, in High Street, Barkingside, and again on a bus in Chingford.

Mrs Russo’s home was also burgled last year.

“I’m in a terrible state,” she said. “I can’t believe it’s happened again.”

A Redbridge Police spokesman said inquiries continue.

A spokesman at the Post Office’s head office said the company was concerned to hear of the theft and will assist in any way they can.

•Call Redbridge Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 with information.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.