ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

delivery staff, new allowance?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: delivery staff, new allowance?

Post by sussexlad »

hazzeem025 wrote:Been on walks for 21 years and we're getting more and more piled on us. What does everyone think about a weekly supplement for delivery staff for carry tonnes of shite around? It is after all us that are out in all kinds of weather pushing, pulling, carrying and to be quite honest knackering our bodies! Has the union/anyone ever explored such a supplement? I mean we work our arses to a stand still every week, we get shite upon daily and are probably the worst paid staff in RM!!!
I thought we all got a weekly supplement for carrying tonnes of shite around, i think it is called wages!!
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: delivery staff, new allowance?

Post by postypie »

fishtank wrote:I think there is an argument for increasing pay for delivery staff to reflect the difficulty of the role.
I think there is also an argument for increasing meal relief to 60 mins(at least 40 mins must be taken during duty time) in line with mailcentres which will also help to protect/increase full-time jobs.
I am all for that Fishtank.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: delivery staff, new allowance?

Post by Budfrog »

postypie wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think there is an argument for increasing pay for delivery staff to reflect the difficulty of the role.
I think there is also an argument for increasing meal relief to 60 mins(at least 40 mins must be taken during duty time) in line with mailcentres which will also help to protect/increase full-time jobs.
I am all for that Fishtank.
Maybe it would be better to have different grades rather than continually relying upon allowances.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: delivery staff, new allowance?

Post by k979aaa »

Budfrog wrote:
postypie wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think there is an argument for increasing pay for delivery staff to reflect the difficulty of the role.
I think there is also an argument for increasing meal relief to 60 mins(at least 40 mins must be taken during duty time) in line with mailcentres which will also help to protect/increase full-time jobs.
I am all for that Fishtank.
Maybe it would be better to have different grades rather than continually relying upon allowances.
OH like the old PHG grade I can remember them all managers now or long gone!
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: delivery staff, new allowance?

Post by Budfrog »

k979aaa wrote:
Budfrog wrote:
postypie wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think there is an argument for increasing pay for delivery staff to reflect the difficulty of the role.
I think there is also an argument for increasing meal relief to 60 mins(at least 40 mins must be taken during duty time) in line with mailcentres which will also help to protect/increase full-time jobs.
I am all for that Fishtank.
Maybe it would be better to have different grades rather than continually relying upon allowances.
OH like the old PHG grade I can remember them all managers now or long gone!
Both for postal and managerial jobs there is too much emphasis on grade which often means that staff are placed on jobs to which they are not entirely suited. There is nothing to prevent different jobs being covered by a series of pay bands but the job titles and descriptions need to better reflect the skills and responsibilities of the roles they cover. This would, in my opinion, create an environment where staff are better matched to the jobs they perform and are remunerated more fairly.