http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/glemsford_co ... _1_2961980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glemsford Post Office has been ram raided in the early hours of yesterday morning. A cash machine has been dragged from the post office and loaded into a vehicle.
A subpostmaster has tried to foil ram raiders by throwing water over them and brandishing a hockey stick.
Police are appealing for information following the ram raid at the post office and stores in Fair Green, Glemsford, at about 4.30am yesterday morning.
A police spokesman said the offenders had used a stolen dark blue Toyota Hilux to reverse repeatedly into the front of the property.
Once inside, they dragged out a stand-alone cash machine - which was empty - using a piece of rope and left the scene in a second vehicle described as dark in colour.
The owner of the shop, who asked not to be named, said her husband - the subpostmaster - had thrown a bucket of water on the offenders from upstairs and then came downstairs with a hockey stick to halt the raid.
“Once they saw him I think they all ran away,” she said.
She said she realised something was happening when she went to the toilet in the night and heard very loud sounds from outside.
“I thought ‘what was happening’ and I heard a bang. I saw from the window one man with a sledgehammer in his hand and he had a mask as well. I couldn’t see his face.
“I think another guy was on the other side, but I couldn’t see him. There was a truck out there and they were trying to reverse the truck inside.”
She said she shouted ‘don’t do it, I will call the police’.
By this time her husband was also screaming and shouting from the window at the offenders to stop the raid.
The shop owner said the truck was reversed into the front of the property maybe 20 times.
“It was so frightening and I was trying to ring the police,” she said.
She said the offenders also had a crowbar.
Yesterday, members of staff and villagers were pulling together to clear up the mess left behind.
A number of neighbours had heard the racket in the early hours, including Jody O’Sullivan, 35.
He said he was in bed when at about 4.40am he heard banging and a lady screaming and the subpostmaster was throwing water on the offenders.
“And they just started reversing a car into the wall as hard as they could. The door was off, but they couldn’t smash the wall,” he said.
He added: “I’m pleased they didn’t hurt anyone. They could have easily thumped the subpostmaster or knocked him out.”
The suspects are described as two men, of stocky build and both wearing dark clothing and balaclavas.
Officers are currently making inquiries such as viewing CCTV and speaking to people in the area.
Anyone with information should call Bury St Edmunds CID on 101.