ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA Question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: PDA Question

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

lala wrote:So back to the original point, what is the point in taking a PDA if there are no tracked/recorded/specials? If they can only track when a scan is made, why have 1 with you?
I presume it is one of two things.

1) Your boss is a knob

or

2) It is to make sure you return it to the office, and so can be kept a watch over what time you finish.

Or maybe both. One thing is certain, there will be a reason, which you're unaware of. Or just 1)....
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by OnAFlyer »

Is anyone else wondering how a delivery these days can get no tracked, recordeds or specials at all? I've been using a PDA well over 2 years and there hasn't been a day I haven't used it at least a couple of times.
DOM
Posts: 140
Joined: 20 Jun 2007, 18:35

Re: PDA Question

Post by DOM »

lala wrote:So back to the original point, what is the point in taking a PDA if there are no tracked/recorded/specials? If they can only track when a scan is made, why have 1 with you?
It may be because the office could send a message to you through the PDA and also there is the telephone function.
Hitcher
Posts: 1538
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by Hitcher »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
lala wrote:
HeilMoya wrote:Options > Comms > Suspend Comms :whistle
Exactly what I was thinking :) Although I am more reconnect comms about 6 times a day as the stupid things are always offline. That's if the screen isn't frozen, battery low, or anything other number of problems we get with them!
We have been told to leave comms on at all times, with the threat of 'retraining' and 'disciplinary procedures' for repeated failures on this front.
Quite how they intend to prove it is deliberate, I don't know.

And yes, they are trackable, but only when you scan and that info is sent.
Comms is always off where we deliver!
janitor
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 689
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 16:18
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by janitor »

Always used to deliver with Comms off, it's the only way I could make the battery last the whole delivery, used to switch it back on just as I started the return journey to the office. The cradle in the van never worked, despite numerous attempts at reporting it, when it needed to go into the garage for any reason, still came back not working, they remounted it when it fell off, but never fixed the charging problem.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by fishtank »

Stella102 wrote:there is no point its like carrying an extra lead weight which costs a lot of money. tell your DOM to kindly f**k off. if not grievance.
Really?
You're going to tell the Dom to f**k off and take out a greivance because you were told to take a PDA out on delivery with you?
That'll be a laugh.

If you haven't had a delivery methods revision then only the drivers should be taking PDAs.Other than that there is no argument,you won't be carrying it,the trolley will.
HeilMoya wrote:Options > Comms > Suspend Comms :whistle
That won't stop them knowing where you were when you scan items and what time it was,It will just delay the upload of the information.
OnAFlyer wrote:Is anyone else wondering how a delivery these days can get no tracked, recordeds or specials at all? I've been using a PDA well over 2 years and there hasn't been a day I haven't used it at least a couple of times.
Same here,and also wondering how you can be 100% certain anyway,Even if you're one of the ever diminishing group who still prep their entire duty themselves it's still easy to miss a recorded,especially one of those "is it or isn't it?" packets.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

lala wrote:
HeilMoya wrote:Options > Comms > Suspend Comms :whistle
Exactly what I was thinking :) Although I am more reconnect comms about 6 times a day as the stupid things are always offline. That's if the screen isn't frozen, battery low, or anything other number of problems we get with them!
no point in this, as the pda only records your location when your scanning an item anyway, items still get scanned and location recorded even with comms suspended, when comms are reconnected to download the items the locations where you scanned the items are sent then, just means dom needs to wait till comms are reconnected to find out where and when you were scanning things
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by ashadd »

You can always wear a hat made of tin foil......they will never find you then...... :nana :nana
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
mtber
Posts: 16
Joined: 18 Sep 2011, 09:05
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by mtber »

OnAFlyer wrote:Is anyone else wondering how a delivery these days can get no tracked, recordeds or specials at all? I've been using a PDA well over 2 years and there hasn't been a day I haven't used it at least a couple of times.
I must admit that its not very often you get a situation where you have nothing to scan ,but i did last monday so didn,t see the point in taking the PDA with me
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: PDA Question

Post by Himaggen »

The PDA whilst used to scan is also a means of communication, it is a useful tool to keep staff aware of things off importance, and it is therefore reasonable for your Manager to request that you take it for that reason alone. You cannot refuse a reasonable instruction and certainly not put in a grievance or tell them to f**k off for having done so!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by dvbuk55 »

I always think that as well as the asset and serial number labels there should be another label that says "sophisticated software on the inside, soft in the head on the outside" :cuppa We have 91 and some exchanged units barely last a week with the a/holes handling them or should I say mishandling them. I exchange about 7 or 8 a week.
Wednesday
Posts: 143
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by Wednesday »

No tracked specials or recorded.I would have kept that very quiet and taken my PDA with me! :nana
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by coxie »

I leave mine if I have nothing to get signed, nobody gets told off for it in my office
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: PDA Question

Post by maisymoo04 »

No what's scary reading some posts that say only been using them for two weeks, f@@k me av had mine for 3 years :arrrghhh :crazy:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
penlanpostie
Posts: 42
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:15
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by penlanpostie »

i had this issue a couple of years ago when i first had a pda my line manager told me i had to take it as its also a phone and they may call me on it , that was nonsence they always ring my mobile , but now we have to scan recorded dels too so need to take it most days but if i didn't need it i wouldnt have to take it out with me