ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
delivery staff, new allowance?
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
Won't happen.
They want to reduce staff costs, not increase them.
They want to reduce staff costs, not increase them.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
Others within RM take their full meal relief or breaks (and often they take even more), however, delivery staff wants to work through theirs - and invariably some don't take breaks or even gain from not taking breaks.
So why give us more breaks? It will not make a lot of difference unless people are actually made to take some of the break before leaving for their rounds.
Having said the above, we have somewhat more job security than the others. Unless they get robots to deliver all the cr*p and good mail/packets then we are still employable. But MC & MDEC will eventually be hit - sadly, IMO.
There will be no more money - I know that. Given that this is likely going to be the collective bargaining or Agreement, at least, on allowances and supplements; I think this is! Rant over.
So why give us more breaks? It will not make a lot of difference unless people are actually made to take some of the break before leaving for their rounds.
Having said the above, we have somewhat more job security than the others. Unless they get robots to deliver all the cr*p and good mail/packets then we are still employable. But MC & MDEC will eventually be hit - sadly, IMO.
There will be no more money - I know that. Given that this is likely going to be the collective bargaining or Agreement, at least, on allowances and supplements; I think this is! Rant over.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
Any postie who doesn't take their break has only themselves to blame.
I don't care how much pressure that gets put on me, I take my break.
And as for getting more breaks for delivery staff, it's a no go, it's discrimination for a start.
I don't care how much pressure that gets put on me, I take my break.
And as for getting more breaks for delivery staff, it's a no go, it's discrimination for a start.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
In what way?UnhappyGremlin wrote:And as for getting more breaks for delivery staff, it's a no go, it's discrimination for a start.
Mailcentre staff already get 60 minutes.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
In every MC up and down the country?fishtank wrote:In what way?UnhappyGremlin wrote:And as for getting more breaks for delivery staff, it's a no go, it's discrimination for a start.
Mailcentre staff already get 60 minutes.
And do you think it will last? I don't. It's one way to make cuts within agreement guidelines.
My old DOM did tell us that everybody can have 60 mins breaks, if they were 'viable'.
Which roughly translated means we can have them, but it is dependant on the DOM allowing it, and how much in cuts he/she wants to make in revisions.
We got 40 mins, and the DOM lined their pockets to the max.
I personally disagree with anyone getting more breaks than another, especially based on the claim that 'my job's harder than yours'.
To suddenly award one group of staff with extra benefits, and denying another group, based on where they work/what function they perform, is discriminatory.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
i've just learnt to deal with what they throw at you, yes they'll be differences, s**t rolls down hillhazzeem025 wrote:Interesting replies. What I mean after reading the comments is, we do the hardest, most physical job in the company in all and every weather. We go home and fall asleep because of the physicality of the work we do. We're the ones whose bodies are going to be battered because of this job, that's if peoples bodies aren't already battered. Yes I think that delivery staff should get a supplement for the physicality of the job, on top of that bag of shite supplement that replaced d2d/early start payments.
not sure i made my point clear earlier, but i can only go on what's fair between those on deliveries,
when the d2d was stopped and "replaced" we had 40hr workers paired with 20hr workers, both ended up doing exactly the same once the latter started,
the 20hr worker should have come in to his households all prepped and mail bags all filled, never known this happen once.
things got slightly better when our hours were altered, but we still have 20/25 hr people who get screwed,
i don't think they say anything because they want higher contracts and glad of the overtime, regardless of this they still don't get the delivery supplement pro-rata on actual hours worked.
i get £2-£3 ish less than my oppo, yet i probably do more hours as i tend to do a bit of overtime, but he does all the flats on our duty so i'm content with that
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
If a part-timer does overtime above their contracted hours korky they receive the delivery supplement as part of their hourly rate so a part-timer working 39hrs receives exactly the same delivery supplement as a full-timer working 39hrs.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
i've had this out many a time with our union rep/manager puppet who insists i take my full break at 9amUnhappyGremlin wrote:Any postie who doesn't take their break has only themselves to blame.
I don't care how much pressure that gets put on me, I take my break.
now if i don't start work until 8.30, i don't want a break at 9.
i want 1 when i'm ready, i always have a cig break when i'm ready for loading van up, usually 1 after 1st duty, 1 after 2nd and then the absorbed bit, add them together along with the odd sneaky cig break and i usually take my break.
believe me, there's some who take their break then cut off accordingly as if they've taken the lot at the end
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
don't even know what it was til earlier?fishtank wrote:If a part-timer does overtime above their contracted hours korky they receive the delivery supplement as part of their hourly rate so a part-timer working 39hrs receives exactly the same delivery supplement as a full-timer working 39hrs.
my payslip today shows basic 34+ 5 overtime- delivery supplement of £18.85
is this right?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
Your delivery supplement will always show your contracted hours supplement so that tells you nothing.korky wrote: don't even know what it was til earlier?
my payslip today shows basic 34+ 5 overtime- delivery supplement of £18.85
is this right?
What you need to look at is the box marked pay rate at the top.
If your 39hrs(34+5) is the same as the pay rate you have earned exactly the same as a full-timer working 39hrs has including the delivery supplement.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
Delivery supplement is based on contracted hours not the number of hours worked.
Even if a part-timer is constantly working as a full-timer because of vacancy or shortage of staff, the delivery supplement will still be based on the part-timer's basic hours.
Even when I work my day off which means I am doing 6/6 d2ds, I still get paid exactly the same delivery supplement as if I had worked I had done 5/6 d2ds.
The principle of just plucking up some random supplement that is on top pro-rata is kinda discriminatory in this instance.
The pay should reflect the work not the status!
We have 24 hours coming in to prep his own walk, doing his day off and then cut-offs and half or a 1/3 walk here and there and yet still gets whatever 24 hours get for d2ds.
It is just wrong in principle. Even people absent* are getting a supplement - for what?
One could be on a 6 months long term absence and continues to get a DELIVERY supplement despite not delivery ziltch - others are doing his job...
Even if a part-timer is constantly working as a full-timer because of vacancy or shortage of staff, the delivery supplement will still be based on the part-timer's basic hours.
Even when I work my day off which means I am doing 6/6 d2ds, I still get paid exactly the same delivery supplement as if I had worked I had done 5/6 d2ds.
The principle of just plucking up some random supplement that is on top pro-rata is kinda discriminatory in this instance.
The pay should reflect the work not the status!
We have 24 hours coming in to prep his own walk, doing his day off and then cut-offs and half or a 1/3 walk here and there and yet still gets whatever 24 hours get for d2ds.
It is just wrong in principle. Even people absent* are getting a supplement - for what?
One could be on a 6 months long term absence and continues to get a DELIVERY supplement despite not delivery ziltch - others are doing his job...
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
I wish you would do some research before you started spouting nonsense.chrisj wrote:Delivery supplement is based on contracted hours not the number of hours worked.
Even if a part-timer is constantly working as a full-timer because of vacancy or shortage of staff, the delivery supplement will still be based on the part-timer's basic hours.
Any overtime you do between your contracted hours and full-time hours contains an hourly element of the delivery supplement.
That means when you have worked 39hrs you take home exactly the same pay as a full-timer.
Anything else would be a breach of the Part-Time Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations.
It doesn't show up in your delivery supplement,it shows up in your overtime rate.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
It's not based on status,it's based on hours worked.chrisj wrote:The pay should reflect the work not the status!
That's kind of how pay works.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
that's what our union rep "sold" us at the time when it changed "you will still get it when on holiday" were his exact words, which he was enthusiastic about it been a good deal.chrisj wrote: One could be on a 6 months long term absence and continues to get a DELIVERY supplement despite not delivery ziltch - others are doing his job...
and now up to 7 lots as been agreed behind our backs, watch them babies fly once profits are down
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: delivery staff, new allowance?
is that the ICS supplement ?fishtank wrote:Your delivery supplement will always show your contracted hours supplement so that tells you nothing.korky wrote: don't even know what it was til earlier?
my payslip today shows basic 34+ 5 overtime- delivery supplement of £18.85
is this right?
What you need to look at is the box marked pay rate at the top.
If your 39hrs(34+5) is the same as the pay rate you have earned exactly the same as a full-timer working 39hrs has including the delivery supplement.
never knew what that was