nice one, im looking for a few of the same things you were. im sure i will be fine ,got legs like chickens but im hard working what more do they want.Dozen wrote:This is the best job i've ever had![]()
Even on the worst walk i've ever done, on the heaviest of days, with a diabolical arsewipe for a manager, I still earn more money in less time and put up with even less stress than in my previous work. Not to say this excuses everything bad you've ever heard, in reality it says more about the sad state of affairs in many jobs outside of Royal Mail than the state of affairs within. But it does put things into perspective for me.
I'm angry half the time because like everyone else I want to protect the few remaining things that make this job great. When you do a job you love, it makes it twice as hard seeing Vince Cable on TV standing in the house of commons, throwing around words like 'modernisation' as if he understands what it even means for people like us on the ground. Don't get me started on Moya Greene. Best you can do is block out all this nonsense if you really want to enjoy the job completely, but then you'll be living in la-la land, when there's an actual fight going on outside your front door.
Going into this job you've got to ask yourself what you want to get out of it. I wanted to get out of the 9-5 office life, sitting in a chair all day staring at a computer screen. I wanted early morning starts and free time in the afternoon. A living wage, and union backing. I got all these things, and i'm not prepared to lose them. Decide which side you're on and come join the fight.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
......
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
-
Mike1
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 05:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Feeling Angry
You have to go in with an open mind and don't be put off by what some posters on here tell you. I'm P/T on a rolling 3 month 25 hour week contract and I've been working at RM for 10 months now.
Try to keep on good terms with the manager, even if he is clueless and you think he's an asshole. But don't be a pushover, if you want the overtime then take it, but don't be afraid to say no if it doesn't suit. The job will be tough physically and mentally for the first couple of months, but it does get easier.
You will go over your contract hours at the beginning, but if you have a decent manager then he'll pay you overtime, but you need to tell him as he will more than likely not offer it. For me, if I'm put on a new walk then I'll normally claim overtime for the first 2/3 days. If I'm familiar with a walk then I can usually finish early on Mon/tue/sat and maybe go over my contract hours on Wed/thur, but I don't claim for that as it works out at roughly 25 hours overall. We had a P/T guy at our office (in before me) and he was pretty slow, either cutting off or claiming overtime...he ended up not having his contract renewed even though he didn't do anything 'wrong'.
If you're on a 25 week contract then you'll have a F/Timer prep most of your frame before you start. You MUST make sure that they don't take the piss with you. This happened to me in the summer...I was covering a walk for 2 weeks and one of the moaners in our office was prepping it and muttering that he didn't have enough time to do the d2d's. He prepped the frame ok on Mon, then on Tue he didn't put the d2d's in, so I stupidly said nothing and reluctantly did them myself, Wed same again, plus he only did some of my packets and I then had a word with him to say I wasn't happy about it. Thur he hadn't done ANY packets or d2d's and I went straight into the managers office and brought him out so that he could see my frame. I said that this guy either sorts my frame out properly now while I have a cup of tea or he pays me overtime. I ended up booking 30min overtime for that day and the guy got a bollocking and my frame was properly prepped the following week. I'm not saying that everyone is like that....just making you aware that it can happen. If you're looking for overtime then there is the possibility of prepping your walk from scratch which is ideal.
Anyway, good luck!
Try to keep on good terms with the manager, even if he is clueless and you think he's an asshole. But don't be a pushover, if you want the overtime then take it, but don't be afraid to say no if it doesn't suit. The job will be tough physically and mentally for the first couple of months, but it does get easier.
You will go over your contract hours at the beginning, but if you have a decent manager then he'll pay you overtime, but you need to tell him as he will more than likely not offer it. For me, if I'm put on a new walk then I'll normally claim overtime for the first 2/3 days. If I'm familiar with a walk then I can usually finish early on Mon/tue/sat and maybe go over my contract hours on Wed/thur, but I don't claim for that as it works out at roughly 25 hours overall. We had a P/T guy at our office (in before me) and he was pretty slow, either cutting off or claiming overtime...he ended up not having his contract renewed even though he didn't do anything 'wrong'.
If you're on a 25 week contract then you'll have a F/Timer prep most of your frame before you start. You MUST make sure that they don't take the piss with you. This happened to me in the summer...I was covering a walk for 2 weeks and one of the moaners in our office was prepping it and muttering that he didn't have enough time to do the d2d's. He prepped the frame ok on Mon, then on Tue he didn't put the d2d's in, so I stupidly said nothing and reluctantly did them myself, Wed same again, plus he only did some of my packets and I then had a word with him to say I wasn't happy about it. Thur he hadn't done ANY packets or d2d's and I went straight into the managers office and brought him out so that he could see my frame. I said that this guy either sorts my frame out properly now while I have a cup of tea or he pays me overtime. I ended up booking 30min overtime for that day and the guy got a bollocking and my frame was properly prepped the following week. I'm not saying that everyone is like that....just making you aware that it can happen. If you're looking for overtime then there is the possibility of prepping your walk from scratch which is ideal.
Anyway, good luck!
-
llcoolh
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
............................ 
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
.......??llcoolh wrote:............................
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Feeling Angry
Ok cool thanks for the info very much helpful. No permanent contract yet then??Mike1 wrote:You have to go in with an open mind and don't be put off by what some posters on here tell you. I'm P/T on a rolling 3 month 25 hour week contract and I've been working at RM for 10 months now.
Try to keep on good terms with the manager, even if he is clueless and you think he's an asshole. But don't be a pushover, if you want the overtime then take it, but don't be afraid to say no if it doesn't suit. The job will be tough physically and mentally for the first couple of months, but it does get easier.
You will go over your contract hours at the beginning, but if you have a decent manager then he'll pay you overtime, but you need to tell him as he will more than likely not offer it. For me, if I'm put on a new walk then I'll normally claim overtime for the first 2/3 days. If I'm familiar with a walk then I can usually finish early on Mon/tue/sat and maybe go over my contract hours on Wed/thur, but I don't claim for that as it works out at roughly 25 hours overall. We had a P/T guy at our office (in before me) and he was pretty slow, either cutting off or claiming overtime...he ended up not having his contract renewed even though he didn't do anything 'wrong'.
If you're on a 25 week contract then you'll have a F/Timer prep most of your frame before you start. You MUST make sure that they don't take the piss with you. This happened to me in the summer...I was covering a walk for 2 weeks and one of the moaners in our office was prepping it and muttering that he didn't have enough time to do the d2d's. He prepped the frame ok on Mon, then on Tue he didn't put the d2d's in, so I stupidly said nothing and reluctantly did them myself, Wed same again, plus he only did some of my packets and I then had a word with him to say I wasn't happy about it. Thur he hadn't done ANY packets or d2d's and I went straight into the managers office and brought him out so that he could see my frame. I said that this guy either sorts my frame out properly now while I have a cup of tea or he pays me overtime. I ended up booking 30min overtime for that day and the guy got a bollocking and my frame was properly prepped the following week. I'm not saying that everyone is like that....just making you aware that it can happen. If you're looking for overtime then there is the possibility of prepping your walk from scratch which is ideal.
Anyway, good luck!
-
DICK43
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:58
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
Honestly, stay where you are!, this job is hell, we are shouted at by our DOM, ridiculed and made to feel like children, we are told we can`t talk or move around the office, we have a porter that constantly brings mail to us, i have to completely prep two walks with door 2 doors + throw in sequenced and door 2 door`s for a part time walk all in the first three hours, that's before we even get near delivery which takes five hours on most days, I don`t eat any lunch- a) because it comes back up and gives me terrible indigestion and b) there is no time, if I ask if I can book my 40 mins at the end I have to get into a heated debate and lets not even mention waking up at stupid hours on my day off because of my body clock being screwed.....god, I could go on but I`m starting to depress myself... 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: ......
llcoolh wrote:............................
His thread, and the ethos at RMC is the OP has ultimate control of it, excepting any necessary admin actions. Ergo he can call it what he wants, we will only change titles of threads if they are grossly misleading, inflammatory, abusive or illegal.
Though I personally would have preferred a more descriptive title that a series of dots.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Bernard Strummer
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 31 Oct 2012, 11:58
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
I have been with RM for a year now, working in what many have said is the worst delivery office in the area. Was on a contract originally, now permanent but on different walks either daily or weekly. It varies so much as some walks a lot easier than others and if you are working with a full timer, you have more chance of getting out at a good time. Getting paid OT has never been a problem. Getting days off can be frustrating sometimes.
Having always previously worked indoor and never ever said "I like my job......." this job is not so bad. Summer good, generally early finishes, OT on busy days, winter busy and s**t weather but certainly not the worst job I have had. In my previous job I was probably like all the older blokes in RM complaining how good/better the old days were.
I would recommend the job to anyone as long as they are reasonably fit as it is physically demanding.
Having always previously worked indoor and never ever said "I like my job......." this job is not so bad. Summer good, generally early finishes, OT on busy days, winter busy and s**t weather but certainly not the worst job I have had. In my previous job I was probably like all the older blokes in RM complaining how good/better the old days were.
I would recommend the job to anyone as long as they are reasonably fit as it is physically demanding.
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: ......
the only times i can say ive not enjoyed the job has been the indoor part first thing but that has been rare my office seems pretty good with even everyone breaking into song with the radio all 99% staff all get along and are ready to help out new starters. the outside part of the job is the best and most customers are really happy to see you and you end up having chats with them as you go yesterday i even had 3 customers giving me hot drinks and a snack to take with me. i honestly think this is one of the most enjoyable jobs ive had
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
Why are you working 8 hours+ without a break? You need to stand up for yourself and take one.DICK43 wrote:Honestly, stay where you are!, this job is hell, we are shouted at by our DOM, ridiculed and made to feel like children, we are told we can`t talk or move around the office, we have a porter that constantly brings mail to us, i have to completely prep two walks with door 2 doors + throw in sequenced and door 2 door`s for a part time walk all in the first three hours, that's before we even get near delivery which takes five hours on most days, I don`t eat any lunch- a) because it comes back up and gives me terrible indigestion and b) there is no time, if I ask if I can book my 40 mins at the end I have to get into a heated debate and lets not even mention waking up at stupid hours on my day off because of my body clock being screwed.....god, I could go on but I`m starting to depress myself...
-
cweg
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
Dunno if you saw my reply in your other thread but I started working for RM a few weeks ago and I'm liking it so far. I was in the same boat as you after reading this forum but don't let all the doom and gloom put you off.
Haven't had any problems with the job so far apart from the shite PDAs. My manager is a sound guy; really approachable and always happy to help out.
Getting paid for overtime hasn't been an issue. If I don't think I'm gonna be done on time I'll call my manager and let him know, adding that I'm happy to work overtime to finish. He will agree to this and thank me. Docket gets filled in when I get back then the extra money is on next week's payslip. No drama.
Haven't had any problems with the job so far apart from the shite PDAs. My manager is a sound guy; really approachable and always happy to help out.
Getting paid for overtime hasn't been an issue. If I don't think I'm gonna be done on time I'll call my manager and let him know, adding that I'm happy to work overtime to finish. He will agree to this and thank me. Docket gets filled in when I get back then the extra money is on next week's payslip. No drama.
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
Thanks yea can be a bit of acweg wrote:Dunno if you saw my reply in your other thread but I started working for RM a few weeks ago and I'm liking it so far. I was in the same boat as you after reading this forum but don't let all the doom and gloom put you off.
Haven't had any problems with the job so far apart from the shite PDAs. My manager is a sound guy; really approachable and always happy to help out.
Getting paid for overtime hasn't been an issue. If I don't think I'm gonna be done on time I'll call my manager and let him know, adding that I'm happy to work overtime to finish. He will agree to this and thank me. Docket gets filled in when I get back then the extra money is on next week's payslip. No drama.
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
sounds like you need a new job buddy.DICK43 wrote:Honestly, stay where you are!, this job is hell, we are shouted at by our DOM, ridiculed and made to feel like children, we are told we can`t talk or move around the office, we have a porter that constantly brings mail to us, i have to completely prep two walks with door 2 doors + throw in sequenced and door 2 door`s for a part time walk all in the first three hours, that's before we even get near delivery which takes five hours on most days, I don`t eat any lunch- a) because it comes back up and gives me terrible indigestion and b) there is no time, if I ask if I can book my 40 mins at the end I have to get into a heated debate and lets not even mention waking up at stupid hours on my day off because of my body clock being screwed.....god, I could go on but I`m starting to depress myself...
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
sorry i did name the thread but removed it because i didn't feel it was correct. got some good answers to what i needed to know.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:llcoolh wrote:............................![]()
His thread, and the ethos at RMC is the OP has ultimate control of it, excepting any necessary admin actions. Ergo he can call it what he wants, we will only change titles of threads if they are grossly misleading, inflammatory, abusive or illegal.
Though I personally would have preferred a more descriptive title that a series of dots.
-
star2010
- Posts: 130
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: ......
was you on a pt contract , what did you get offered on the permanent contract ?Bernard Strummer wrote:I have been with RM for a year now, working in what many have said is the worst delivery office in the area. Was on a contract originally, now permanent but on different walks either daily or weekly. It varies so much as some walks a lot easier than others and if you are working with a full timer, you have more chance of getting out at a good time. Getting paid OT has never been a problem. Getting days off can be frustrating sometimes.
Having always previously worked indoor and never ever said "I like my job......." this job is not so bad. Summer good, generally early finishes, OT on busy days, winter busy and s**t weather but certainly not the worst job I have had. In my previous job I was probably like all the older blokes in RM complaining how good/better the old days were.
I would recommend the job to anyone as long as they are reasonably fit as it is physically demanding.