ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Storms on Monday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
theargyspy
Posts: 252
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by theargyspy »

In The great storm of 1987 I was nearly decapitated by a flying 'For Sale' sign that had uprooted in the wind and came flying down the
road whilst I was cycling out to my delivery, had a couple of near misses later when roof tiles came sliding off and landing where, seconds
before I had been stood. I used up a couple of my nine life's that day :Very Happy

Brightened up what would have been a otherwise dull day.
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

They've used this weather tool in my office before, but up to date only with snow.
However, even though the tool said it's OK to go out, my boss has overridden that decision and kept us in before.
So, it isn't the be all and end all of any decision.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by k979aaa »

theargyspy wrote:In The great storm of 1987 I was nearly decapitated by a flying 'For Sale' sign that had uprooted in the wind and came flying down the
road whilst I was cycling out to my delivery, had a couple of near misses later when roof tiles came sliding off and landing where, seconds
before I had been stood. I used up a couple of my nine life's that day :Very Happy

Brightened up what would have been a otherwise dull day.
Would it if said tile had embedded it's self in your head that day probably been a red letter day!
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by chooch »

I am looking forward to using my discretion - 'No','No' &.. 'No'.. and letting 'management' explain it..
:hmmmm might make up a card with the linos no. on it ..?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by k979aaa »

chooch wrote:I am looking forward to using my discretion - 'No','No' &.. 'No'.. and letting 'management' explain it..
:hmmmm might make up a card with the linos no. on it ..?
Well if he says he would do it ask him to make good on his word and you sit/stand/walk in the office all day like they do!
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by Lazycarton »

theargyspy wrote:In The great storm of 1987 I was nearly decapitated by a flying 'For Sale' sign that had uprooted in the wind and came flying down the
road whilst I was cycling out to my delivery, had a couple of near misses later when roof tiles came sliding off and landing where, seconds
before I had been stood. I used up a couple of my nine life's that day :Very Happy

Brightened up what would have been a otherwise dull day.
My fear is that you have to be injured before anyone in management takes the matter seriously.
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by post_bitch »

what weather u been reading :shock:
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by Postie45 »

post_bitch wrote:what weather u been reading :shock:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... ionName=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by k979aaa »

Lazycarton wrote:
theargyspy wrote:In The great storm of 1987 I was nearly decapitated by a flying 'For Sale' sign that had uprooted in the wind and came flying down the
road whilst I was cycling out to my delivery, had a couple of near misses later when roof tiles came sliding off and landing where, seconds
before I had been stood. I used up a couple of my nine life's that day :Very Happy

Brightened up what would have been a otherwise dull day.
My fear is that you have to be injured before anyone in management takes the matter seriously.
NO if YOU deem your health and safety is at risk you can terminate the delivery you need to tell them but the phone lines may be down or the mobile masts if you feel it is not safe DON'T DO IT! It's your life at the end of the day.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Warning over severe storm risk

24 October 2013 - Unsettled weather is expected to continue over the next few days with further spells of heavy rain and strong winds for most parts, particularly over Saturday and Sunday.

Then as we move into Sunday night and Monday morning there is a risk a significant storm could develop close to the UK which has the potential to bring some exceptionally strong winds to parts of the country.

Currently the storm is most likely to impact the southern half of the UK, with the potential for gusts of more than 80mph - especially on exposed coasts in the south.

Winds of this strength could bring down trees or cause structural damage, potentially causing transport disruption or power cuts.

Eddy Carroll, Chief Forecaster at the Met Office, said: "This storm doesn't exist at the moment, but our forecasts models predict it is likely to develop in the west Atlantic on Saturday. Then it's likely to rapidly intensify just west of the UK late on Sunday before tracking across England and Wales early on Monday.

"There is still a chance this storm may take a more southerly track and miss the UK, bringing impacts elsewhere in northern Europe, but people should be aware there is a risk of severe weather and significant disruption. With that in mind, people should keep up to date with and act on the advice in our forecasts and warnings as the situation develops."

ImageImage

Normally Atlantic storms of this type develop much further to the west of the UK and are waning in strength by the time they reach the UK and Ireland.

This storm is more unusual, developing much closer to the UK and potentially tracking across the country while still in its most powerful phase. A strong jet stream and warm air close to the UK are both contributing to the development and strength of the storm.

If the storm arrives in line with current predictions, some areas could see some of their strongest winds for a number of years.

You can stay up to date with all the latest information in our forecasts and warnings online, on our apps for iPhone, Android, Windows, Kindle, as well as our partners on TV and Radio.

Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... e3rDk1XM5M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Mr Incognito
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by Mr Incognito »

On the day of the '87 storm I recall arriving into work and being told that due to dangerous weather conditions there would be no delivery that day. This Monday I strongly suspect that the manager will advise us that deliveries will not be cancelled and absorption will go ahead as normal.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by arnold cheshire »

k979aaa wrote:
Lazycarton wrote:
theargyspy wrote:In The great storm of 1987 I was nearly decapitated by a flying 'For Sale' sign that had uprooted in the wind and came flying down the
road whilst I was cycling out to my delivery, had a couple of near misses later when roof tiles came sliding off and landing where, seconds
before I had been stood. I used up a couple of my nine life's that day :Very Happy

Brightened up what would have been a otherwise dull day.
My fear is that you have to be injured before anyone in management takes the matter seriously.
NO if YOU deem your health and safety is at risk you can terminate the delivery you need to tell them but the phone lines may be down or the mobile masts if you feel it is not safe DON'T DO IT! It's your life at the end of the day.
you could do that every day then
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by clashcityrocker »

bringon4dayweeks wrote: you could do that every day then
I do do it every day.
I am in charge of my H&S. If I encounter something on delivery I deem a problem, I avoid it.
If that means missing one, several or all of my delivery points, so be it.
Our H&S is paramount.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by arnold cheshire »

clashcityrocker wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote: you could do that every day then
I do do it every day.
I am in charge of my H&S. If I encounter something on delivery I deem a problem, I avoid it.
If that means missing one, several or all of my delivery points, so be it.
Our H&S is paramount.
ive bought back dog at large items for a week yes
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Storms on Monday

Post by postypie »

Put your stormproof coat on.....