I had some money sitting around to buy quite a few extra shares and I knew the profit would be generous. Did I buy any? No. I believe services should be in public ownership and what use is a few grand in the bank if I am walking around feeling like a dirty hypocrite. Money has bought and sold quite a few souls throughout life and civilization. That quiet rationalization will eventually destroy all morals in return for the so called freedom that money can buy.
Principles are priceless on your deathbed whilst money is worthless.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
shares info please
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: shares info please
Fair enough TBT.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The reason I did not purchase any extra shares is simple, and perhaps other think its stupid .
Are our terms and conditions going to be affected by Privatization - of course they are. Not only do we have to compete with managerial bonuses, directorial bonuses, profit, modernization costs, operational costs and all the other things that have a call on a finite amount of cash, we now have to compete against investor returns and dividends.
Being a shareholder (for me) would mean that I personally would be adding to the pressure on our pay and T&Cs and that did not sit with MY conscience. Therefore by my logic the more shares I have the more pressure I apply personally. Yes the unsold shares would go to others outside RM, and the overall pressure would remain unchanged, but the more shares I have the more responsibility I have for the intrinsic costs of owning those shares.
I accepted the free shares, after much had wringing if I am honest, because the vast majority of employees were going to accept them so I was receiving the same as they were, (like pay rises for instance) despite it being against my political view.
I honestly believe there was a moral difference between me accepting free shares and getting an equal amount as everyone else, and buying any extra ones, but I am not condemning those who did. They have to answer to their own values and conscience - I have to answer to mine.
Personally I bought some shares but sold them on the first day for a near 50% profit so am no more of a shareholder now than anyone else.
My opinion is that someone was going to buy them anyway, so an RM employee who had priority might as well buy them first at the knockdown price then sell them on. The difference is, instead of an outside investor getting my shares at £3.30, they got them for £5 and the difference went into an RM employees pocket.
FT, if 'scrabbling around in the dirt' is filling in a 2 minute online form, then making a 2 minute phone call which ended up in me making hundreds of pounds then I wish I scrabbled in the dirt for a living. The money isn't for me anyway, it's for my sons savings and I made around 15 years interest in one day for him.
-
nataddick
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 09:47
- Gender: Male
Re: shares info please
Respect your opinion TBT - like OnAFlyer and many other employees I bought some extra shares and sold them for a 50% profit. I took the view that the Government had under-priced the business significantly and that I was buying the shares from the Government with a view to making a profit from the Government. I have no qualms about that and my conscience is clear.
It is the Government that have given the employees, who are major stakeholders in the business, a minority share of the ownership and have shaped the future that lies ahead for all of us.
I would rather have seen RM operating as a mutual organisation but it was never seriously entertained by this Government.
It is the Government that have given the employees, who are major stakeholders in the business, a minority share of the ownership and have shaped the future that lies ahead for all of us.
I would rather have seen RM operating as a mutual organisation but it was never seriously entertained by this Government.
-
dean07
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 07 Apr 2009, 15:05
- Gender: Male
Re: shares info please
When are staff to receive their share? I finished on ihr and believe l, m eligible according to the guide that was sent out. I, m cashing mine in to give to my grandaughter, for when she, s older
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: shares info please
And will you come out on nov 4 th nat?
-
nataddick
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 09:47
- Gender: Male
Re: shares info please
Yes I'm in CWU voted Yes and will be out for long as necessary.