ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaving Royal Mail as a postie!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Leaving Royal Mail as a postie!

Post by clashcityrocker »

toooldskool wrote:if you don't have the financial constraints, why don't you drop a day or even two a week? it may change your perspective a bit (and rest your joints)


How do you go about this?
You go and tell your manager you wish to reduce your hours.
Keep your rep in the loop.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
cyclemech1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 334
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving Royal Mail as a postie!

Post by cyclemech1 »

Postietjay wrote:Hi all,

Unfortunately am leaving Rm as a postie in a few weeks time, been offered an Apprenticeship with British Gas fitting Smart Meters! :thumbup

Ive only been a postie for 9 months but have enjoyed the Job tbh!

So why am I leaving?

Okay so right from the start, The publics idea of a postman is early starts, early finishes, A van or a bike.
So when I joined (30 hour contract) Start at 9am finish at 3pm with a HCT, not having a break to finish on time, I was shocked!
Went to the Induction day and they made it sound like Rm was still running like it was 10 years ago!! So when new employees go to the DO, they are in for a shock! And... Its alot harder than people think! Hats off to all you posties out there!

Our DO had just had the re-sign In Jan 13 when I joined and was put on a 3 month fixed Contract however after 3 months it was renewed again and then again and just had another through until 31/01/14!

How can I get a mortgage with no secure Job being put on ftcontracts?
Privatisation leaves me with no secure job after 2.5 years?
Manager is a right Bully!
Morale in our DO is appalling! When DM isnt in its alot better!
Packets on my round are a joke! With a Mk1 HTC!
DM wont put green box on my round! So have to guess how much of my frame has to be dropped off! Sometimes resulting in waiting around for someone to drop off my bags!
Van rounds- Having to use a trolley or facing the sack!
Union rep is a joke! Sides with Manager most times as got easy round!

After a few months you get used to it! But alot of newbies quit as cant handle it! Im sure alot of you have noticed this!

Okay so positives?

Pay- Absolutely Brilliant - No complaint
Employee benefits- Moved house free 1yr redirects, discounts etc
Uniform- Cat Boots, proud to wear Rm uniform! (Sad I know)
I love being outside! So i enjoyed it!!
Get to know your round, after you've done it for a few months you can beast it round!

Im only 21 and have a young family..
Being a postie I dont think I can go any further apart from management but doesn't interest me!
The Privatisation and the 3 year deal doesn't give me a secure Job in the future! (If I was Older it would be different)

I wish you all the best and good luck with the Pay deals!
If things dont work out Im sure Ill be back!!
Thought P&L was supposed to do away with bag drops. One of the (supposed) reasons to do away with bikes. :d'oh!

Good luck mate, since I left I've taken to going to bed at whatever time I like and don't get up till at least 7am!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Leaving Royal Mail as a postie!

Post by krussel »

cyclemech1 wrote:Thought P&L was supposed to do away with bag drops.
We are keeping all of ours. It generates 30 mins of van support for drops and parcels etc.

To the original post.

I think you have Made the totally right decision. I wish you all the very best in you future. :thumbup
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Leaving Royal Mail as a postie!

Post by meercat »

lol thanks for the post, but only 9months in - I remember it well, you still have rose tinted glasses on!

Don't forget to tip your postie but please don't become one of those customers who stops you and says 'I used to do that, best job in the world, happy days etc'!! It is not appreciated when you are having a really s**t day!

I once had an old guy who said back in the day they used to deliver dead rabbits, their legs were tied with string with a label wrapped around the legs, everything else was exposed!

In 10 years time you can tell you postie what wages you were on and that you finished as early as 3pm and he will not believe you. Good luck.