ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Uniform buying

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Uniform buying

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Brain Fury wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:wearing them. :chuckle :chuckle

If RM didn't go with the lowest bidder in each case then questions need to be asked about quality monitoring. None of the kit works, none. The storm proof can't cope with a summer shower, the CAT trainers are useless in the wet and last 8 weeks tops, the kagoule soaks up water, and the trouser button last about 2 weeks, in fact I now reinforce the button every time I get new ones.
Are these different CAT trainers to those that the catalogue says are "Fabric / textile upper therefore not suitable for wear in wet weather"?
No they are the same , but they don't let you order 2 types of footwear at the same time, or even in the same "life" period. You have to put up with what you last ordered, especially as Posties are found at fault if not wearing approved or issued footwear.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform buying

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Brain Fury wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I presume the DMs you buy online at £50 plus are still decent? I used to wear them all the time as a kid, excellent piece of kit. :thumbup I can understand RM buying the cheap crap from China, remember you kit has been supplied by the lowest bidder! :thumbdown I can never understand WHY RM place such little importance on supplying there Front Line Delivery Staff (most covering at least 10 miles a day) with decent footwear? :hmmmm Surely in the long term it would save them money, protecting their staff from walking related strains & sprains. :d'oh!
You're sure about that are you - presumably you have some evidence to back it up?
It's an old saying from Army Days BF, if anyone's discussing Body Armour or Helmets this old chestnut normally gets an airing. :Very Happy I'm not privy to RMs purchasing policies but I'm sure they don't run along the lines of: "Don't worry about the price, I just want my boys (and girls) to have the best kit for the job"! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform buying

Post by Brain Fury »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:I presume the DMs you buy online at £50 plus are still decent? I used to wear them all the time as a kid, excellent piece of kit. :thumbup I can understand RM buying the cheap crap from China, remember you kit has been supplied by the lowest bidder! :thumbdown I can never understand WHY RM place such little importance on supplying there Front Line Delivery Staff (most covering at least 10 miles a day) with decent footwear? :hmmmm Surely in the long term it would save them money, protecting their staff from walking related strains & sprains. :d'oh!
You're sure about that are you - presumably you have some evidence to back it up?
It's an old saying from Army Days BF, if anyone's discussing Body Armour or Helmets this old chestnut normally gets an airing. :Very Happy I'm not privy to RMs purchasing policies but I'm sure they don't run along the lines of: "Don't worry about the price, I just want my boys (and girls) to have the best kit for the job"! :whistle
Well of course they don't - nobody does. The cost will always be a factor but not the only one. For example I know that RM has bought high specification waterproof fabrics such as Gore-tex in the past and garments and footwear made by brand name manufacturers. Most items of uniform are tested by posties before being introduced and it's common for something (particularly footwear) to get very positive results only to be condemned within a few months of introduction. Uniform is a nightmare to buy because the by definition it means everybody wearing the same thing - something that they wouldn't do out of work - so whatever is bought there will always be a proportion of people that don't like it. And of course everybody that wears clothes is an "expert".
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Uniform buying

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I am sorry but you don't need to be an expert to know your wet when its raining despite wearing a Storm Proof.

Some of the kit is good, the waterproof trousers are quite decent, and the fleece is more comfortable than the previous blue one
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform buying

Post by Dorset Plodder »

It's not a perfect world BF we know that. Some of the kit is better than other bits. I think RM tend to pay lip service to many of the problems . There doesn't seem to be any system for on going improvements. Perhaps some money could even be saved in the long run by such things as a service to re-proof waterproofs, instead of just replacing them. I've often given mine a good dousing with Fabsil to reproof them.

Not having a dig at our Mail centre colleagues, but do they need as higher, i.e more expensive, standard of kit as Posties that are out in the elements for five hours a day? Could savings be made there and used to improve out door kit? In my opinion the choice of footwear is pretty abysmal. If it's tested by Posties then I reckon they should have made a better effort. Smells to me of a Courier type bullshit job! Surely we must be able to provide waterproof, comfortable/supportive footwear that can last longer than 2 months? This is an area where we can differentiate between those who work indoors and those who work outdoors. With the associated savings in one area being spent in the other.

Winter's coming,and it's meant to be a grim one, most of the kit I shall be wearing will be civvy kit that I've bought myself. I do enjoy working outdoors in the elements, always have done, I'm not bitching because it's a bit cold & windy but I bet if the area managers had experience of working in those conditions the standard of kit would improve...Rapidly!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)