ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Royal-M ... z2iMKSJxmX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My name is Scott Mann. I am 36 years old and I live with my wife and daughter in Wadebridge. I was recently selected as the Conservative candidate for North Cornwall – and I have been a postman for the last 18 years.

I started my work with the Royal Mail in 1995 after spending a brief period with an accountancy firm.

I spent two weeks sitting behind a desk and realised it wasn't the job for me.

I happened to mention I was interested in working for the Royal Mail and within weeks I had secured a part-time contract.

I have done the walking rounds but I currently drive a van.

I work with some great people. We are almost like a family.

Many take up the role as a postman as a stop-gap, but they enjoy delivering to the public so much it becomes a career.

As the Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for North Cornwall, a Conservative and a postman I have been asked numerous times in the last few months about my views on the privatisation of the Royal Mail.

Firstly, I am a firm believer in free markets, but the Royal Mail has been hamstrung over recent years.

We have to offer our comprehensive delivery network to other courier companies.

The process means the Post Office only receives a fraction of the overall price of the stamp, to deliver that final mile.

In a rural area like the South West this practice is run at a loss.

As a private firm we can get much of this lost income back because other companies won't be able to make delivering that extra mile cost effective.

Only the Royal Mail has the intelligence, gathered over decades, to make it work. Over the years we have a developed a unique knowledge of even the most rural and out of the way places.

Satellite navigation and mapping tools can only get a delivery driver so far.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked by another delivery firm, a building supply merchant or a holidaymaker where this particular road, lane or house is. Or where Mrs Brown lives.

It is the Royal Mail who gets little Johnny's birthday card through the door when gran's writing might not be as good as it used to be.
We work in a communications industry and knowledge is power.

The hardworking postmen and women across the county right now hold that knowledge and the key to the Royal Mail's success – and I don't think that any hardworking staff members should be frightened about the next few months.

However, there is one group that is scared about the future.

The Communication Workers Union is in the process of balloting for strike action.

I used to be a member of the union. Back when I joined the Royal Mail it was a closed shop. You had no choice but to be a member and make a contribution to the Labour Party.

In fact, when the second delivery service was removed, I decided to make a stand with my colleagues to try and protect that service for the public. I went on strike. Not because I wanted more pay but because the service was being reduced.

I was asked to go on strike five or six years ago when the last big industrial action was being proposed.

This was a strike about pay and I didn't agree with holding the company to ransom when we were not doing so well as a business. I decided not to strike, crossed the picket line and worked. I left the union a few weeks later and have not been a member since.

Right now the union is scared. For years it has had its own way, its own political agenda to push. It fears not being at the table and it fears change.

Having worked for this public business for years I have seen both good and bad postmen and women.

The business has tried to deal with inefficient staff, bullying and other poor practices but these individuals have hidden behind a trade union that protects them.

This should not happen. The trade union should be there for issues of injustice – not to push its political ideology.

If we are going to be a commercial success, which I believe we will be, we must be able to adapt to changing markets and deal with staff who cannot do the job.

And we must continue to deliver six days a week, even to the most rural areas.

All private sector businesses are streamlined. They reward staff for working hard, they recognise talent and deal with those who can't or won't.

There is a massive demand currently for Royal Mail shares. I will be receiving my free allocation as an employee soon.

I think people know how good this business I work for is. Where else can 60p get you from one end of the country to the other?
My post bag is full both in my political work and in my daily work. I hope to see you all on my rounds soon.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dozen
Posts: 101
Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by Dozen »

:funneh
All private sector businesses are streamlined. They reward staff for working hard, they recognise talent...
This man is a complete idiot.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by Lincox »

The first thin g he should do is justify why his tory and liberal comrades have allowed this business to be sold off for a song if he really believes it is such a good business.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked ... where Mrs Brown lives." :shock: Famous for the best hash browns in Kernow. :nana :nana
barrowc
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 383
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 01:36
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by barrowc »

I started my work with the Royal Mail in 1995 after spending a brief period with an accountancy firm.
...
I used to be a member of the union. Back when I joined the Royal Mail it was a closed shop. You had no choice but to be a member and make a contribution to the Labour Party.
I also joined in 1995 but joining the union wasn't mandatory then. You could choose whether to join or not
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

If it was a closed shop then Royal Mail was breaking the law.

All forms of closed shops in the UK are strictly illegal following the introduction of the Employment Act 1990. They were further curtailed under section 137(1)(a) of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 (c. 52) passed by the Conservative government at the time. The Labour Party, then in opposition, had supported closed shops until December 1989, when it abandoned the policy in accordance with European legislation.

Mind you his grasp of Union laws and what benefits they bring certainly fit in with the Conservative Bias so if elected he'll fit in nicely, after all they are the only party that think laziness is a real Political issue, rather than a Socio Economic one. Hopefully he will be part of a severely slimmed down opposition party.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by fishtank »

Drivel from start to finish. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by OnAFlyer »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote: The business has tried to deal with inefficient staff, bullying and other poor practices but these individuals have hidden behind a trade union that protects them.

This should not happen. The trade union should be there for issues of injustice – not to push its political ideology.

If we are going to be a commercial success, which I believe we will be, we must be able to adapt to changing markets and deal with staff who cannot do the job.
That part I agree with. Too many totally incompetent staff, one guy at my office keeps a log of the missorts put into his frame by the guy who throws it off - over 100 missorts in one day isn't unusual. Then there are the ones walking around until 4 and 5pm on 4 hour walks.
bedrock
Posts: 70
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 22:12
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by bedrock »

cornish folk,carrot crunchers
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

OnAFlyer wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: The business has tried to deal with inefficient staff, bullying and other poor practices but these individuals have hidden behind a trade union that protects them.

This should not happen. The trade union should be there for issues of injustice – not to push its political ideology.

If we are going to be a commercial success, which I believe we will be, we must be able to adapt to changing markets and deal with staff who cannot do the job.
That part I agree with. Too many totally incompetent staff, one guy at my office keeps a log of the missorts put into his frame by the guy who throws it off - over 100 missorts in one day isn't unusual. Then there are the ones walking around until 4 and 5pm on 4 hour walks.
But he is wrong its not political ideology. One of the benefits of being in a Union is that if the business/bosses treat you unfairly then the Union will help you. One of the definitions of being unfair is if the managers don't stick to the processes and procedures agreed with the Union, or written into the contract. Even if the member of staff is incompetent, or lazy we need to defend them when managers go outside the agreements, if we don't then how can we defend someone who isn't lazy or incompetent.

Should lazy and incompetent staff be tackled or even sacked - yes of course they should but it has to be within a process, and the process and procedures are there. Should managers be intimidated into not using them - No. But then they also shouldn't be using those procedures except when it is appropriate. Its a complicated and volatile subject - but it isn't political.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
JaneM
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 91
Joined: 20 Jun 2010, 19:26
Gender: Female

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by JaneM »

North Cornwall has been Lib Dem since 1992,much as i detest them.......in this case,i will make an exception and hope they rout him.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by baldrick »

fishtank wrote:Drivel from start to finish. :cuppa
What else can you expect from a Conservative? :no no
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by redneck »

JaneM wrote:North Cornwall has been Lib Dem since 1992,much as i detest them.......in this case,i will make an exception and hope they rout him.
That's why a postman has been selected, it is a no hope constituency for them so the 'elite' are not required.

He talks the talk though, typically not recognising the union's fight is necessary because the injustice IS the political idealogy.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by scoobydo79 »

Who the Hell votes for this clown? :shock:
Unbelievable :shock:
pcb
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 392
Joined: 21 May 2007, 11:32

Re: Only the Royal Mail has the knowledge to make this work

Post by pcb »

Why read the post should have let the tumble weed blow past!
Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.
John Stuart Mill