http://www.itv.com/news/2013-10-16/post ... ke-action/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'm at the CWU union HQ in Wimbledon, West London - where deputy leader Dave Ward is explaining the strike strategy.
Already the union has referred to "industrial warfare".
Read: Postal workers vote 4-1 in favour of strike action
He knows the public will find it hard to reconcile this strike vote with the fact that postal workers have just been given £589m in free shares.
Royal Mail says it is offering an 8.6% pay rise over three years.
The union members have a very deep suspicion about the long term impact of privatisation.
Individual posties I am talking to don't see how the old public service ethos can survive alongside private capital.
Many say changing practices already mean they are overworked.
From where I'm standing, it looks like battle lines are drawn for a very bitter battle.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postal workers draw battle lines with strike action
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postal workers draw battle lines with strike action
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: Postal workers draw battle lines with strike action
We should go straight for the jugular.
Sat/Mon, that should have been the opening broadside from us.
Sat/Mon, that should have been the opening broadside from us.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Postal workers draw battle lines with strike action
I think the November 4th date was given to prevent RM complaining in the media that the union is too quick off the mark. (
).
The CWU has given two and a half weeks notice, and invited the company to further discussions.
I expect RM will put forward another deal prior to the strike, but whether or not it will be a decent improvement in comparison to the previous one, is another matter.
If nothing happens as result of the strike day, then I'd expect the union to announce rolling strikes, every week, until further notice.
And the closer it gets to December/Christmas, the more RM will begin to feel the pressure.
The CWU has given two and a half weeks notice, and invited the company to further discussions.
I expect RM will put forward another deal prior to the strike, but whether or not it will be a decent improvement in comparison to the previous one, is another matter.
If nothing happens as result of the strike day, then I'd expect the union to announce rolling strikes, every week, until further notice.
And the closer it gets to December/Christmas, the more RM will begin to feel the pressure.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Postal workers draw battle lines with strike action
i agree. but i honestly cant see an improved offer being anything other than marginal. rm know that 43000 people didnt bother their arse to vote and 15000 voted no. so i really think they might take a chance on holding out for a couple of more weeks to see if there is a large contingency of strikebreakers willing to work. if THAT does happen then it really is going to be a very bitter strike indeed.UnhappyGremlin wrote:I think the November 4th date was given to prevent RM complaining in the media that the union is too quick off the mark. ().
The CWU has given two and a half weeks notice, and invited the company to further discussions.
I expect RM will put forward another deal prior to the strike, but whether or not it will be a decent improvement in comparison to the previous one, is another matter.
If nothing happens as result of the strike day, then I'd expect the union to announce rolling strikes, every week, until further notice.
And the closer it gets to December/Christmas, the more RM will begin to feel the pressure.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Postal workers draw battle lines with strike action
True.daveyeff wrote:i agree. but i honestly cant see an improved offer being anything other than marginal. rm know that 43000 people didnt bother their arse to vote and 15000 voted no. so i really think they might take a chance on holding out for a couple of more weeks to see if there is a large contingency of strikebreakers willing to work. if THAT does happen then it really is going to be a very bitter strike indeed.UnhappyGremlin wrote:I think the November 4th date was given to prevent RM complaining in the media that the union is too quick off the mark. ().
The CWU has given two and a half weeks notice, and invited the company to further discussions.
I expect RM will put forward another deal prior to the strike, but whether or not it will be a decent improvement in comparison to the previous one, is another matter.
If nothing happens as result of the strike day, then I'd expect the union to announce rolling strikes, every week, until further notice.
And the closer it gets to December/Christmas, the more RM will begin to feel the pressure.
But, if the strike is supported in very high numbers, then it would again pressure the company, and may make them think twice.
Much in line with your thinking, if the strike isn't very well supported, then RM may very well try to wait us out, and it has the opportunity to become extremely bitter.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.