ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

on strike day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dave0876
Posts: 154
Joined: 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

Re: on strike day

Post by dave0876 »

Must have had sausage chips and beans for tea
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: on strike day

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

trevjim wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Ah the old others have it worse so your wrong to keep what you have got. How about bringing them up to our level.


In the least polite way possible, piss of with the tours crap. I recognise the sacrifice and the terms you used, why, because I had 3 active duty tours in 16 years and there is no way the Mob would treat their lowest and least capable squaddie the way this mob has. So in the vernacular of the forces "Wind your neck in" and get in with the grunts not the Rodneys.
Then you too saw changes in our forces over the 16 years you served. Some of them we didn't like, but did we strike? No.

Things change to keep up with the times. Have you guys ever thought that without the changes we dont like, the company could have gone down more then you believe it has now? You could be a lot worse of without these 'changes'

We didn't strike for 2 reasons.

1. There was no reason to.
2. It was illegal. I believe it would be called mutiny or desertion. 1 of which when I was in was still punishable by firing squad :shock:

If you really were in then you were supposedly there to protect democracy. One of the tenets of democracy is you are allowed, having followed the legal procedures, to withdraw your labour if you are in dispute with an employer. Are you now saying that this is a right we should no longer have.

Turning the question on its head, what would be your limit for going on strike. Minimum wage, zero hour contracts, completely casual employment, no union representation - I'd be interested to know.

Also what changes are you on about, there is no working agreement on the table, nor changes to existing working agreements being voted on. The vote was on a No Strike deal, below inflation pay rise, acceptance of pension changes (which they have moved on)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
egor110
Posts: 75
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 23:38
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by egor110 »

trevjim wrote:Wow it's like talking to kids having a tantrum.


The reason I won't strike is because I believe it to be greedy, set in your ways, and because the company owes you nothing so stop acting like it does.

You should all be lucky that you have a job, get paid, have a roof over your head etc. We have it so much better then millions in this country, we get a pay above minimum wage for unskilled work, we get pension, good hours with evenings and Sunday free.

The times are changing and lots of companies are changing, deal with it. It's life, royal mail is not your company, we do what's in the contract.

How did I get this view, I've served tours, seen the conditions some people in this world have it. I've had jobs doing 60-70 hours weeks, for minimum wage at horrible hours. When public sector strikes went on, I can assure you no one has sympothy for you. Your are greedy. Open your eyes to how good we have it, even if it gets worse, we still have it a lot better than others.
Answer me this, why is it we have pay above min wage , good pension? Possibly because others have gone on strike in the past?

You've served tours so what , your no longer in the services deal with it.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by wiganpostie »

fishtank wrote:You shouldn't have bothered explaining your reasons.
You had more credibility when thought you were just doing it for the money.
George Eliot wrote:It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..
:thumbup

So he's a runner, who complains about the job then refuses to consider striking as we've got it too good, apparently. This guy works in my office. Txx Pxxxxxxxxx, is that you?
martin the green
Posts: 157
Joined: 20 Jan 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by martin the green »

you are entitled to your own opinion but, by your own admission you are running around and still going over your time.
I do not know how old you are but for how long do you think you can carry on racing and tearing around for royal mails benefit.
believe me it gets a lot harder as you get older and the only benefits you will get will be arthritis, and more aches and pains and do you think that management will care!!!
if you do your job properly the overtime will still be there and you can still have a life outside of royal mail and not be too knackered to do anything with your family when you get home.
when everybody on delivery gets this into their heads then and only then will management have to take notice and we are a lot less likely to go on strike because we would all be a lot happier at work.
it is just the constant bickering amongst ourselves that makes management stronger and us weaker
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: on strike day

Post by Chelseablue »

Whys this job so fked up now
donein
Posts: 136
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 10:53
Location: north devon

Re: on strike day

Post by donein »

korky wrote:i just lost my dad, which i'm in debt for the funeral, just got married, due to move house in a few weeks, working all hours i can manage,
but would i feck cross a picket line.
there's always someone worse off than you & i
respect to you korky
walkertom
Posts: 52
Joined: 02 Mar 2011, 09:19
Gender: Male
Location: The Wild West

Re: on strike day

Post by walkertom »

TrevJim will be delighted when Voluntary Redundancy terms are gone and replaced with Compulsory Redundancies.

I just used the calculator on .gov website and would benefit from £6000 when the axe falls. I'd have got at least a year's pay on Voluntary Redundancy terms.

He's possibly suffering from cowardice. I'd be surprised if he'd done any tours. Can we have some service details?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: on strike day

Post by krussel »

donein wrote:
korky wrote:i just lost my dad, which i'm in debt for the funeral, just got married, due to move house in a few weeks, working all hours i can manage,
but would i feck cross a picket line.
there's always someone worse off than you & i
respect to you korky

I agree totally.

Korky's post is the golden nugget in this thread :Applause

Trev jims ramblings are , well, just butt nuggets.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Billy Ray
Posts: 58
Joined: 31 May 2012, 18:41
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by Billy Ray »

Postie45 wrote:
trevjim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Today was shambles, the amount of packets we had was crazy. didnt finish till 2 and a half hours over my normal time. packets in my opinion are becoming too much.

Royal mail states that packets are going up (and letters are going down (yeh right) ) , So how are we supposed to finish on time, Packets are most definatly increasing in quantity (and size it seems) and we all know packets are time consuming to deliver for multiple reasons. (waiting for them to answer door, filling out red card, not able to fit in pouches so having to drive etc).


I dont understand Royal mails logic, the thing that causes the most time to deliver is increasing, yet we still expect you to finish on time.
by trevjim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm
Today my van was full to the brim with parcels. I'm on my own on my route so I had to deliver each one, the mail was fairly heavy but ok, the amount of parcels however was simply extortionate. I ended up working two hours over my normal finish time, and considering I ran when delivering the last few bags of mail, it was down to the parcels which added the time on for me
nuff said bruv, you get no respect from me.
lol brillant well posted postie 45, trevjim no respect here either.
Harry_Perkins
Posts: 206
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by Harry_Perkins »

trevjim wrote:
How did I get this view, I've served tours, seen the conditions some people in this world have it. I've had jobs doing 60-70 hours weeks, for minimum wage at horrible hours. When public sector strikes went on, I can assure you no one has sympothy for you. Your are greedy. Open your eyes to how good we have it, even if it gets worse, we still have it a lot better than others.
Your lack of class consciousness is astounding. Or perhaps not after the efforts of the last 30-35 years. One of the reasons Britain doesn't look like some parts of the world is because of the prior strength of the labour movement in this country (and of course because the historical advantages of being the first industrialised country, the empire etc... advantages being eroded more and more). Do you think things like relatively good wages, 40 hour week, no child labour, paid holidays, health and safety etc etc were handed down by employers out of the goodness of their own hearts? Get real! You're shitting on your family and ancestors that fought for this stuff when you cross the picket line. Already now we are seeing all the traditional issues found in a third world country. Mass unemployment, poverty wages and unpaid labour just to get your foot in the door (for jobs that don't exist!). And slowly social security being eroded. I've lived in the third world too and it is sickening. Children unattended out begging in the road for money. Is that where you want Britain to end up? If it does it is because of idiots like you that let standards slip and helped employers in the race to the bottom. How does it benefit poorly paid workers in other industries if we end just like them? Your pay and terms and conditions are s**t, so mine should be too? Sorry but no. You can be measured up for a hairshirt if you want but I'll not oblige!

It says it all that you don't even know what to do in a strike. Let me tell you... there might be a picket line and you'll have to cross it to go into work. Your reps should be aware of who did and who didn't cross. It should all be spread about who crossed and who didn't. And as far as I'm concerned, you should then be blanked and ignored from then on. No support or nothing if you have issues with management. If you get sacked, so what? You live by the sword and die by the sword. The fact is, if the union wins a better deal, you'll take all the benefits, won't you? Yet you'll have made no effort in achieving that. That is where the name SCAB comes from. It isn't just some meaningless insult. People will go out and lose pay so you can get better pay and conditions yourself. In that outcome, you should be embarrassed for yourself.
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
GoingPostal86
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by GoingPostal86 »

What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
Harry_Perkins
Posts: 206
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by Harry_Perkins »

GoingPostal86 wrote:What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
You don't have to be in the union to take Industrial Action. Some offices are weaker than others and you may have to take the initiative to join yourself: http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
GoingPostal86
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by GoingPostal86 »

Harry_Perkins wrote:
GoingPostal86 wrote:What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
You don't have to be in the union to take Industrial Action. Some offices are weaker than others and you may have to take the initiative to join yourself: http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was told I couldnt strike because I wasnt in the union and I wouldnt have the same protection etc..
Harry_Perkins
Posts: 206
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: on strike day

Post by Harry_Perkins »

GoingPostal86 wrote:
Harry_Perkins wrote:
GoingPostal86 wrote:What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
You don't have to be in the union to take Industrial Action. Some offices are weaker than others and you may have to take the initiative to join yourself: http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was told I couldnt strike because I wasnt in the union and I wouldnt have the same protection etc..
Who told you this? You can't suffer detrimental treatment for taking IA, as I understand it. No matter if you're in the union or not.
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.