http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/nor ... ccrington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ROYAL Mail vans using an Accrington car park could be putting shoppers off, a councillor warned.
Postal workers started parking on the public car park in Infant Street after being warned by bosses following a health and safety review, a spokesman for Royal Mail said.
They had previously been parking on double yellow lines, or near the bus bay, while waiting to load their vans at the depot on Infant Street.
The workers empty the car park after they have loaded the vans, and are free to use it, but Conservative councillor and leader of the opposition at Hyndburn Council, Peter Britcliffe, said it could still put morning shoppers off.
He said: “It’s a busy car park and I would like to think it’s not stopping people who want to shop coming to Accrington.
“I counted 14 vans the other morning, at around 9.15am. I asked one of the people there what it was about and he said it was something to do with health and safety.
“I’m sure the staff don’t want to be running back and forth with parcels to the depot on Infant Street.
“They have to cross the main road, Abbey Road, which is probably more of a risk.
“If they need it there’s nothing that can be done because it’s a public car park but those spaces should be available for people to come into Accrington and shop. I would prefer those spaces to be open for shoppers.”
Leader of Hyndburn Council, Coun Miles Parkinson, said: “Coun Britcliffe has raised this issue and it’s certainly something we would want to monitor to see if it gives rise to any problems.
“To date we have not received any complaints from the public.
“But if people are finding that it is causing problems we would be grateful if they could get in touch on 01254 388111.”
Royal Mail spokeperson, Mike Norman, said: “Following the comments made by the local councillor we will review current practices at our Accrington delivery office.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail vans may put off shoppers in Accrington
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail vans may put off shoppers in Accrington
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.