ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

temp contract and strike

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by cloherty1976 »

Thanks dvbuk55 . I like mr whizz he is hard working. Sorry as I said before don't research people just say it as I read it. Maybe I should go back to school. Apoliges to mr whizz :oops:
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 736
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
Gender: Female
Location: Tree house

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by Shambles »

:silenced :silenced :chuckle :chuckle I'm sorry but that WAS genuinely Hilarious, and I admit, tea came out of my nose :left:
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by cloherty1976 »

Shambles wrote::silenced :silenced :chuckle :chuckle I'm sorry but that WAS genuinely Hilarious, and I admit, tea came out of my nose :left:
Glad to be the entertainer
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

cloherty1976 wrote:
Shambles wrote::silenced :silenced :chuckle :chuckle I'm sorry but that WAS genuinely Hilarious, and I admit, tea came out of my nose :left:
Glad to be the entertainer
And to see the funny side............respect :thumbup
llcoolh
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by llcoolh »

Can someone give US p/t on rolling contract ONE reason why should we go on strike?? T&Cs does not apply to us, pension I dont think so.Why should I protect the future of ft in our office if they dont even recognise US p/ts!!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

llcoolh wrote:Can someone give US p/t on rolling contract ONE reason why should we go on strike?? T&Cs does not apply to us, pension I dont think so.Why should I protect the future of ft in our office if they dont even recognise US p/ts!!
Because the rolling will stop before an ft is let go and for the reason why - check one of fishtanks posts.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by fishtank »

llcoolh wrote:Can someone give US p/t on rolling contract ONE reason why should we go on strike?? T&Cs does not apply to us, pension I dont think so.Why should I protect the futur of ft in our office if they dont even recognise US pt in our office!!
What part of it do you have an issue with,the part-time or the rolling contract.
Part-timers have exactly the same terms and conditions as full-timers,anything else would be unlawful.
The rolling contract issue is separate from contracted hours but the CWU has fought for and gained more concessions over temporary contracts than most businesses out there.

http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... _and_m.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3.2 Royal Mail employees will be employed on permanent contracts,
except where there is a genuine short term need identified. CWU will
be consulted in advance where there is any such requirement.
Temporary contracts will not exceed two years unless it has been
jointly agreed that there are very exceptional circumstances. The
position of temporary contract employees will be kept under regular
review by the local parties, with a view to converting to permanent
contracts where and when possible. Additionally, where change
programmes have been completed and bedded in, the status of
temporary contract employees will be reviewed and converted to
permanent contracts unless there is no need for this additional
resourcing or where there is an identified and agreed need to continue
with a fixed term contract. Royal Mail confirms that as part of the
review of this agreement, it is the aspiration to reduce the length of
temporary contracts to no more than one year.

Now if this and other agreements are being ignored in your office then it's up to you to make the union aware of that,if you do all the way to the top and nothing gets done then you can moan about the union and i'll join in because I'm not afraid to criticise the union when it gets things wrong..

If you want to know why you should strike take a wander down to the jobcentre or have a flick through the recruitment papers and you'll see what non-unionised terms and conditions look like.
I think a lot of us are a bit spoiled in this job.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by redneck »

Referring to a previous post, you are making the mistake of backing up the reasons why the two tier contract set up deployed by the company deliberately to divide the workforce has been a success for them. What part timers do is interwoven with what full timers do, just because the contracts are different in a few ways doesn't mean that we have a joint interest in getting the best deal. The only way we'll get that is by withdrawing labour.

I am a part timer, I don't see any time son when I will get a f/t contract as it is a cheap option for the company, but we will all be significantly worse off if the company are seen to be holding a strong position due to a weak ballot result and following response to it (i.e scabbing).
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by chrisj »

Why is it so difficult for people to differentiate between a contracted part staff and a part-time (most often) rolling contracted staff.

There are part timers (by choice) that have been in the company for 20 years - their case is solid and they are protected if there is a strike. The is virtually no risk to the job - they only lose pay when they strike.

A contracted staff might not have the contract renewed by a vindictive manager or even employer (RM). It also depends on whether someone is on a 6 months or 3 months contract and most significantly when the contract is due to expire.If your contract is up for renewal so during or just after the strikes - things might be dicey...

And what if these folks lose their jobs just before Christmas - will that be fair collateral from the point of view of those with secure jobs (at least for the next 3 years and beyond).

Lastly, a ballot vote for a Yes to focus the mind of the employer and to strengthen the Union's hand is one thing and a strike is another.

I doubt some of the contributors here even know or have spoken to people on rolling contracts. I have been a temp, I have worked closely with folks on temp rolling contracts (including at MDEC and MC). I know their plight! And if we listen to some of them, some have expressed being blackmailed with contract renewals by some managers.

Words like 'aspiration' from the Union & RM sounds good but that is not the reality in the workplace. Some have been on almost 2 years rolling contracts and then let go before they can claim their rights, But this is blue shirt - it is perhaps not as common - within delivery there is a relatively good turnover amongst the contracted staff anyway. We had a lad some summers back - the manager was not best pleased when he was offered a contract but said he was going back to college.

It will be sad irony to lose one's job at Xmas and then see temps from Angard coming in - grief!

* This is not about me or part time v full time - I am not on a rolling contract.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by cloherty1976 »

chrisj wrote:Why is it so difficult for people to differentiate between a contracted part staff and a part-time (most often) rolling contracted staff.

There are part timers (by choice) that have been in the company for 20 years - their case is solid and they are protected if there is a strike. The is virtually no risk to the job - they only lose pay when they strike.

A contracted staff might not have the contract renewed by a vindictive manager or even employer (RM). It also depends on whether someone is on a 6 months or 3 months contract and most significantly when the contract is due to expire.If your contract is up for renewal so during or just after the strikes - things might be dicey...

And what if these folks lose their jobs just before Christmas - will that be fair collateral from the point of view of those with secure jobs (at least for the next 3 years and beyond).

Lastly, a ballot vote for a Yes to focus the mind of the employer and to strengthen the Union's hand is one thing and a strike is another.

I doubt some of the contributors here even know or have spoken to people on rolling contracts. I have been a temp, I have worked closely with folks on temp rolling contracts (including at MDEC and MC). I know their plight! And if we listen to some of them, some have expressed being blackmailed with contract renewals by some managers.

Words like 'aspiration' from the Union & RM sounds good but that is not the reality in the workplace. Some have been on almost 2 years rolling contracts and then let go before they can claim their rights, But this is blue shirt - it is perhaps not as common - within delivery there is a relatively good turnover amongst the contracted staff anyway. We had a lad some summers back - the manager was not best pleased when he was offered a contract but said he was going back to college.

It will be sad irony to lose one's job at Xmas and then see temps from Angard coming in - grief!

* This is not about me or part time v full time - I am not on a rolling contract.
Tried to send message but says disabled
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by chrisj »

cloherty1976 wrote: Tried to send message but says disabled

Sorry, cloherty. I have now changed by board preferences. I now await your message. Thanks
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by Lincox »

It is strange that when Royal Mail suspend colleagues unfairly that their is a walkout as at Orpington today. I have no idea whether this was a total walkout, but those that did are prepared to support and lose money at the same time, yet we are arguing about the future of our pensions, terms and conditions, pay, protection etc, something that will have a consequence for all of us and for a very long time, yet there are people not prepared to take to the gate. It,s a strange world.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by fishtank »

Lincox wrote: It,s a strange world.
It is Lincox but then I suspect those unwilling to fight to protect their terms and conditions would also be unlikely to support their colleagues,no doubt making up some excuse about temporary contracts or pro-rata this and that.
It's always been the case,some just stand up to be counted and some just run and hide. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
pumpkin2
Posts: 21
Joined: 10 Oct 2013, 17:04
Gender: Female

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by pumpkin2 »

Why should I suddenly risk my job for all them f/t guys that never even bother to even give me the time of day? I bet if it was only the part time temp contracts at risk of losing their jobs how many full timers would support them?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

pumpkin2 wrote:Why should I suddenly risk my job for all them f/t guys that never even bother to even give me the time of day? I bet if it was only the part time temp contracts at risk of losing their jobs how many full timers would support them?
What exactly do you think will happen to p/t temps when RM go postal with the workforce? Sack a permanent part timer or not renew your contract :hmmmm choices, choices - which one would you choose? :cuppa