ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

temp contract and strike

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

Mr Whizz wrote:I've worked hard during my 9 months at RM....I've learnt 18 different walks, 2 drive duties and afternoon collections and I'm pretty sure my job is safe....but If end up losing my job, then so be it...RM isn't and has never been my life, so I'll get over it and move on!
Yes I'm sure you're very versatile, flexible and biddable the very thing that regular staff find abhorrent and if you've never been through IA at RM before and you obviously haven't after 9 months :cuppa then it may well be an eye opener after the strikes have finished.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by cloherty1976 »

steven100 wrote:If you work in the mail centres you need to get out and try DELIVERIES, you will soon realise why posties in delivery are voting YES for strike up and down the country.
Mail centres offer any easy life, you want it tough GET TO DELIVERIES before you preach about not striking etc.

If not look forward to zero-contracts and staying part-time. RM don't do full-time contracts anymore(well maybe the odd few).
We have just employed at least 25 on full time contracts so I think that I not true and at least 200 have been employed lately around the country. The director of logistics wants to get away from agency and has made that public. I think he wants 85% full time
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by aiden01 »

steven100 wrote:If you work in the mail centres you need to get out and try DELIVERIES, you will soon realise why posties in delivery are voting YES for strike up and down the country.
Mail centres offer any easy life, you want it tough GET TO DELIVERIES before you preach about not striking etc.

If not look forward to zero-contracts and staying part-time. RM don't do full-time contracts anymore(well maybe the odd few).
mc,s offer an easy life you having a laugh. also think think there will be a big yes in mc,s why would we vote no after all we are all in the fight for better tc,s.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

cloherty1976 wrote:
steven100 wrote:If you work in the mail centres you need to get out and try DELIVERIES, you will soon realise why posties in delivery are voting YES for strike up and down the country.
Mail centres offer any easy life, you want it tough GET TO DELIVERIES before you preach about not striking etc.

If not look forward to zero-contracts and staying part-time. RM don't do full-time contracts anymore(well maybe the odd few).
We have just employed at least 25 on full time contracts so I think that I not true and at least 200 have been employed lately around the country. The director of logistics wants to get away from agency and has made that public. I think he wants 85% full time
If that's the sort of bullshine he's spouting I would imagine he'll be looking for another job sooner than you, maybe he'll be taken on by Stobarts as a yard lad and put in a good word for you. You see there are going to have to be concessions made and my guess is Logistics will be top of the shop. Still keep up with the knowledge it may well stand you in good stead sooner than you might think. :whistle
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by chrisj »

Harry_Perkins wrote:I struck on a temp contract last time. They did not get rid of me. I was made permanent. They can't give you detrimental treatment because you take Industrial Action.
That was 2009! Things are so much different now. There are zero-contracts all over the place. There are lots of Agency staff waiting in the wings to get a job.

IDS has change the benefit system so losing a job might not be worth the risk these days.

Some do not have a dicky if they think that they can compared the possible treatment of someone on a 3 months contract to a permanent contracted staff. They will not be discriminating against you - they simply will not renew your contract.

We are also a Private company now - so the leeway for managers to be nice (yes, contradiction for some) might less. If the big bosses tell the DOMs or WAMs not to renew temp contract - they will promptly do so.

Lastly, it is a risk! It is not definitely that a temp contract Striker will lose their job. This particular worker might be very valuable, the manager might be nice or whatever.

However, I doubt a worker on Temp contract in a Mail Centre or MDEC will not be expired.

* Thanks for the support from some of the part-timers that know where I am coming from.

Apart from a handful of temp contract staff who do not really care about the job or using RM as a stepping stone, majority should be advised not to Strike. Your fellow workers should be understanding. It will not make a big deal to the strike action anyway if the odd temp contract worker and non-members of the Union turn up at work.

Some people here will be disappointed soon because we are very much unlikely going to Strike.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by aiden01 »

AND what do you base we are not going to strike on.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by clashcityrocker »

chrisj wrote:
Some people here will be disappointed soon because we are very much unlikely going to Strike.
Nobody wants to go on strike.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by k979aaa »

Some of these managers on here little do they know they will be the first culled you could not make it up telling us all how we will all suffer fire and brimstone while they partake in option shares talk about rats leaving a sinking ship but they deign it they must think they are on the costa Concordia!
Mr Whizz
Posts: 33
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:52
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by Mr Whizz »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Mr Whizz wrote:I've worked hard during my 9 months at RM....I've learnt 18 different walks, 2 drive duties and afternoon collections and I'm pretty sure my job is safe....but If end up losing my job, then so be it...RM isn't and has never been my life, so I'll get over it and move on!
Yes I'm sure you're very versatile, flexible and biddable the very thing that regular staff find abhorrent and if you've never been through IA at RM before and you obviously haven't after 9 months :cuppa then it may well be an eye opener after the strikes have finished.
Dude, I'm just doing my RM job since the beginning of this year and I knew what to expect before I joined....you have 14,000 posts on here (probably all negative)....go find a better job and quit whining.
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by steven100 »

aiden01 wrote:
steven100 wrote:If you work in the mail centres you need to get out and try DELIVERIES, you will soon realise why posties in delivery are voting YES for strike up and down the country.
Mail centres offer any easy life, you want it tough GET TO DELIVERIES before you preach about not striking etc.

If not look forward to zero-contracts and staying part-time. RM don't do full-time contracts anymore(well maybe the odd few).
mc,s offer an easy life you having a laugh. also think think there will be a big yes in mc,s why would we vote no after all we are all in the fight for better tc,s.
I've worked in the mail centre and I know it's not great too. But deliveries is 10 times worse. But then again we don't have managers watching us for 5 - 8 hours a day. So deliveries do have 1 plus.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by fishtank »

chrisj wrote:Some do not have a dicky if they think that they can compared the possible treatment of someone on a 3 months contract to a permanent contracted staff. They will not be discriminating against you - they simply will not renew your contract.
Why are you still spouting this drivel chris?
The recruitment process in Royal Mail is very expensive,It takes 12 weeks from request to employment including CRB checks,then a new recruit has to be trained at additional cost to the business.
Any manager who brought that additional cost and disruption onto the business simply because a temporary employee took lawful industrial action would have some serious questions to answer to their DSM and probably higher.

The real truth is if you are capable and there is work there you will have your contract renewed,if you are not or there isn't you won't and industrial action won't play any part in that,in fact since industrial action is likely to cause disruption that will require a clean up operation you could argue that the need for trained staff will be even greater.

This is almost word for word what a senior manager from my area told me.
I don't really want anyone crossing the picket line,It causes far too much aggravation afterwards,affects the morale of the entire business unit and to be honest there is very little constructive work to do during a strike which means I am basically paying people for nothing.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

Mr Whizz wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Mr Whizz wrote:I've worked hard during my 9 months at RM....I've learnt 18 different walks, 2 drive duties and afternoon collections and I'm pretty sure my job is safe....but If end up losing my job, then so be it...RM isn't and has never been my life, so I'll get over it and move on!
Yes I'm sure you're very versatile, flexible and biddable the very thing that regular staff find abhorrent and if you've never been through IA at RM before and you obviously haven't after 9 months :cuppa then it may well be an eye opener after the strikes have finished.
Dude, I'm just doing my RM job since the beginning of this year and I knew what to expect before I joined....you have 14,000 posts on here (probably all negative)....go find a better job and quit whining.
Oh I'll be doing plenty of whining on the picket line about strike dodger jobsworths. You seem mighty touchy about your stance on striking, is that a tad of guilty conscience? You mean there are better jobs than RM on a revolving 3 month contract..............makes you wonder why people put up with it.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by cloherty1976 »

Mr Whizz wrote:
Oh I'll be doing plenty of whining on the picket line about strike dodger jobsworths. You seem mighty touchy about your stance on striking, is that a tad of guilty conscience?
I won't be striking this time unless as I have said before it's at least a week. It won't make a difference to me crossing the picket line and I won't hide. The blokes who I pass have there own views and I will respect that. I have striked many times before but just don't believe In this one especially if they strike like the last time one day here, that function out tomorrow, that's illegal strike oh your working today. Also the ones who strike will still talk to you the following day it's not like the 70s and 80s anymore. Still think deal of the century coming this week but maybe wrong!
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by Stella102 »

bring on the strikes let it last throughout x mas.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: temp contract and strike

Post by dvbuk55 »

cloherty1976 wrote:
Mr Whizz wrote:
Oh I'll be doing plenty of whining on the picket line about strike dodger jobsworths. You seem mighty touchy about your stance on striking, is that a tad of guilty conscience?
I won't be striking this time unless as I have said before it's at least a week. It won't make a difference to me crossing the picket line and I won't hide. The blokes who I pass have there own views and I will respect that. I have striked many times before but just don't believe In this one especially if they strike like the last time one day here, that function out tomorrow, that's illegal strike oh your working today. Also the ones who strike will still talk to you the following day it's not like the 70s and 80s anymore. Still think deal of the century coming this week but maybe wrong!
I can see you're a dab hand with the quotes cloey :chuckle :chuckle might want to check your last post for authenticity mr whizz will probably be whizzing himself.