And how many "special cases" do you think there are? Do you think that by not striking his position as a temp is assured bearing in mind the MC is due to close shortly? How many days do you think we will be on strike and what do you think the financial penalty would be? IMO it will be less than 5 days over 3 weeks, for two reasons.........RM will undoubtedly up the offer and the CWU will undoubtedly accept it and put it to the vote regardless of its value to the members and the reason is.........the CWU know that protracted IA is not sustainable over a long period. My advice would be support your colleagues and they will support you.chrisj wrote:Anyone that cannot see that this is a special case must belong to the 'I'm alright, jack brigade - and we do have some many of them amongst the established staff at RM....
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
temp contract and strike
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
-
Harry_Perkins
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
Agreed. I went and made my position clear to one my reps. He reassured me and essentially said he'd back me all the way if they later tried to get rid of me.dvbuk55 wrote:And how many "special cases" do you think there are? Do you think that by not striking his position as a temp is assured bearing in mind the MC is due to close shortly? How many days do you think we will be on strike and what do you think the financial penalty would be? IMO it will be less than 5 days over 3 weeks, for two reasons.........RM will undoubtedly up the offer and the CWU will undoubtedly accept it and put it to the vote regardless of its value to the members and the reason is.........the CWU know that protracted IA is not sustainable over a long period. My advice would be support your colleagues and they will support you.chrisj wrote:Anyone that cannot see that this is a special case must belong to the 'I'm alright, jack brigade - and we do have some many of them amongst the established staff at RM....
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
I'm in the same boat. Joined RM 9 months ago and on 3 month rolling contracts. I haven't a clue what I'm going to do if they strike. 
-
llcoolh
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
chrisj wrote:Anyone that cannot see that this is a special case must belong to the 'I'm alright, jack brigade - and we do have some many of them amongst the established staff at RM.
This temp on probably a 3 months contract is barely better than an Agency (Angard*) worker:
- Does he have a pension? Definitely Not!
What are his current terms and conditions beyond the 3 months assigment. You cannot protect what you have not got
What about pay rise - will he even still be RM to enjoy a pay rise? An even if he is on a 6 months contract - any loss of earnings and bonus will wipe out his pay rise.
Has he been awarded any shares?
Is this worker ever going to be a FT staff - almost certainly not
Even if you took part in a Strike, you will see be on a different contract to the people on perm contract
So what is he going to be striking for? A job loss/the sack** and striking for others that already have a job and are protected from the sack if they went on strike?
Do me a favour, this is not about me and it is not about us (workers) and them (bosses). What is that about anyway?
* At least some of the Angard staff have secured some work and money for xmas - that boat is gone...
** Just be careful when you go to the job centre for your Universal Credit - do not tell me, you did yourself out of a job by foolishly going on strike.
If the CWU had said, we want RM to make all those on temporary contract permanent as a one-off; that I can understand (even I will strike for that). A moratorium for temp staff like those suggested by Lib Dem - as regards immigrants that have been in the country for a long time...
Well said mate!
-
Mr Whizz
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:52
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
Very well explained Chrisj. You take some crap on this forum, but I'm glad you're around to speak up for the P/timers.
I made a point of talking to most of the P/timers at my office this morning about a possible strike and all of them will choose to work. When you're on a 3 month short term contract, why would you bother worrying about T&C's 3 years down the line and risk losing your job?
I made a point of talking to most of the P/timers at my office this morning about a possible strike and all of them will choose to work. When you're on a 3 month short term contract, why would you bother worrying about T&C's 3 years down the line and risk losing your job?
-
motch
- Posts: 332
- Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
general question: Anyone think this is RM's plan over the last few years - employ as many P/T, 1 hour contract, agency workers, people kept on rolling contracts carrot for too long ? so if a strike was to happen it would divide the workforce and allow some of the service to resume whilst a longer strike was going on?Mr Whizz wrote:Very well explained Chrisj. You take some crap on this forum, but I'm glad you're around to speak up for the P/timers.
I made a point of talking to most of the P/timers at my office this morning about a possible strike and all of them will choose to work. When you're on a 3 month short term contract, why would you bother worrying about T&C's 3 years down the line and risk losing your job?
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
Our DO manager is the type to inform those on temporary contracts he is carefully monitoring the required staffing levels.
Absenteeism for any reason could mean him choosing a different employee for a permanent position.
Absenteeism for any reason could mean him choosing a different employee for a permanent position.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
-
cloherty1976
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: The south
Re: temp contract and strike
To line your full time posties pockets. I think not.Mr Whizz wrote:Very well explained Chrisj. You take some crap on this forum, but I'm glad you're around to speak up for the P/timers.
I made a point of talking to most of the P/timers at my office this morning about a possible strike and all of them will choose to work. When you're on a 3 month short term contract, why would you bother worrying about T&C's 3 years down the line and risk losing your job?
-
Mr Whizz
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:52
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
motch wrote:general question: Anyone think this is RM's plan over the last few years - employ as many P/T, 1 hour contract, agency workers, people kept on rolling contracts carrot for too long ? so if a strike was to happen it would divide the workforce and allow some of the service to resume whilst a longer strike was going on?Mr Whizz wrote:Very well explained Chrisj. You take some crap on this forum, but I'm glad you're around to speak up for the P/timers.
I made a point of talking to most of the P/timers at my office this morning about a possible strike and all of them will choose to work. When you're on a 3 month short term contract, why would you bother worrying about T&C's 3 years down the line and risk losing your job?
Most of the F/timers totally agree with our attitude, but I'm luckily enough to work in a smaller office and everyone generally gets along. I would hate to work in an office full of self righteous posters like Clashcityrocker. No thanks.
-
cloherty1976
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: The south
Re: temp contract and strike
Most people on here don't think there are offices that get on well and help each other..
-
Shambles
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 736
- Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Female
- Location: Tree house
Re: temp contract and strike
I believe it's more that offices have 'some'cloherty1976 wrote:Most people on here don't think there are offices that get on well and help each other..
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
So you think not striking will preserve your position? Don't be so naïve, when RM talk of losing staff just who do you think they are talking about? It won't matter a fig to RM whether on not you went on strike, to them you are expendable cannon fodder and rather than aggravate strikers by keeping you on and letting them go - well I think you know the answer. For my part I believe half of the strike dodgers just don't have the cojones to stand the line.Mr Whizz wrote:Very well explained Chrisj. You take some crap on this forum, but I'm glad you're around to speak up for the P/timers.
I made a point of talking to most of the P/timers at my office this morning about a possible strike and all of them will choose to work. When you're on a 3 month short term contract, why would you bother worrying about T&C's 3 years down the line and risk losing your job?
-
Mr Whizz
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:52
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
I've worked hard during my 9 months at RM....I've learnt 18 different walks, 2 drive duties and afternoon collections and I'm pretty sure my job is safe....but If end up losing my job, then so be it...RM isn't and has never been my life, so I'll get over it and move on!
-
cloherty1976
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1236
- Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: The south
Re: temp contract and strike
Fair play to you mate. I am sure your be here a lot longer but like your attitudeMr Whizz wrote:I've worked hard during my 9 months at RM....I've learnt 18 different walks, 2 drive duties and afternoon collections and I'm pretty sure my job is safe....but If end up losing my job, then so be it...RM isn't and has never been my life, so I'll get over it and move on!
-
steven100
- Posts: 1391
- Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
- Gender: Male
Re: temp contract and strike
If you work in the mail centres you need to get out and try DELIVERIES, you will soon realise why posties in delivery are voting YES for strike up and down the country.
Mail centres offer any easy life, you want it tough GET TO DELIVERIES before you preach about not striking etc.
If not look forward to zero-contracts and staying part-time. RM don't do full-time contracts anymore(well maybe the odd few).
Mail centres offer any easy life, you want it tough GET TO DELIVERIES before you preach about not striking etc.
If not look forward to zero-contracts and staying part-time. RM don't do full-time contracts anymore(well maybe the odd few).