ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

priority shares

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

wacko74 wrote:Can we try and keep the bitterness and resentment out of this and concentrate on the facts and Q & A's regarding the priority shares.

If you want to discuss the morals and principles of buying extra shares then start a new thread on it.

For the record I've applied to buy extra shares, I've also voted YES to strike action and will be walking out.

In answer to the earlier question Equiniti the RM nominee shareholder charge 1% when selling, which is quite steep compared to other options available, but I'm guessing buying through them is our only option if we want to get employee priority, so bit of a catch 22 situation.

Thanks to RobertT for the answers so far, seems to have bit more share knowledge than the average thick postie (me!)
Well said . I do have an account with equiniti and if you use them a lot it can go down to 0.5% and maximum of £50 per trade. I have bought through equiniti and barclays stockbrokers for these shares but it will be interesting to see if I get shares from both.
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by FinishOnTime »

Firmly against privatisation and have already voted yes for a strike. I have no problem whatsoever with postal workers buying extra shares though. If there's a few quid to be made, I would rather my colleagues made it than than some guy in Surrey just adding to his already vast "portfolio" of shares.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

wacko74 wrote:Thanks to RobertT for the answers so far, seems to have bit more share knowledge than the average thick postie (me!)
Thanks for that! I don't claim to be an expert but I have had the best part of 15 years experience in equity investment, mainly in pooled funds via pensions and unit trusts/ISA's, and believe me I have experienced the ups and downs of the stock market in that time!

I understand the principles of people who don't want to buy any shares, but as someone else has said, I don't really see the difference in RM employees buying them or the general public. If there's money to be made, why not make some yourself? And also consider that if you have a pension fund, endowment or other equity based product, you may well be buying and benefiting from RM shares without really knowing it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

cloherty1976 wrote:I have bought through equiniti and barclays stockbrokers for these shares but it will be interesting to see if I get shares from both.
You do know that you're not supposed to make more than one application don't you?
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: priority shares

Post by clashcityrocker »

OnAFlyer wrote:
It's happening like it or not, so you might as well try and make some money out of it.
So if they were going to gas the Jews anyway, what was wrong with taking their gold fillings?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
dt123
Posts: 29
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 13:00

Re: priority shares

Post by dt123 »

wacko74 wrote:Can we try and keep the bitterness and resentment out of this and concentrate on the facts and Q & A's regarding the priority shares.

If you want to discuss the morals and principles of buying extra shares then start a new thread on it.

For the record I've applied to buy extra shares, I've also voted YES to strike action and will be walking out.

In answer to the earlier question Equiniti the RM nominee shareholder charge 1% when selling, which is quite steep compared to other options available, but I'm guessing buying through them is our only option if we want to get employee priority, so bit of a catch 22 situation.

Thanks to RobertT for the answers so far, seems to have bit more share knowledge than the average thick postie (me!)

I think you'll find that this thread was started around the moral and principled stance of employees returning their shares. The people who are using this as a share clinic and the best way to make money out of their colleagues T&Cs are the ones that have hijacked the thread.So tuck your FT under your arm, and see if you can find a forum under the heading of 'double standards' or even 'I've got a bit of spare cash so I'll sell my soul for a quick buck'
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

dt123 wrote:I think you'll find that this thread was started around the moral and principled stance of employees returning their shares.
No it wasn't!

The first post reads:
shepherdess wrote:Has anyone taken up the offer if so how much ? Also in the press it says only 100 postmen have turned down the free shares
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by OnAFlyer »

clashcityrocker wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
It's happening like it or not, so you might as well try and make some money out of it.
So if they were going to gas the Jews anyway, what was wrong with taking their gold fillings?
So now you're comparing RM employees buying shares to the holocaust?

Nothing else to say but that's the most moronic post I've ever read on any forum, ever.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: priority shares

Post by clashcityrocker »

OnAFlyer wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
It's happening like it or not, so you might as well try and make some money out of it.
So if they were going to gas the Jews anyway, what was wrong with taking their gold fillings?
So now you're comparing RM employees buying shares to the holocaust?

Nothing else to say but that's the most moronic post I've ever read on any forum, ever.
I'm not comparing buying shares to the Holocaust.
Your post is devoid of any morality. My question was simply to ascertain where your morality begins and ends.
Taking gold fillings was unacceptable because..........
Supporting attacks on trade unions and the terms of their members is acceptable because..........
Either you can defend your position or you can call me a f***ing idiot. Which can you manage?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by hantsman »

clashcityrocker wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
It's happening like it or not, so you might as well try and make some money out of it.
So if they were going to gas the Jews anyway, what was wrong with taking their gold fillings?
So now you're comparing RM employees buying shares to the holocaust?

Nothing else to say but that's the most moronic post I've ever read on any forum, ever.
I'm not comparing buying shares to the Holocaust.
Your post is devoid of any morality. My question was simply to ascertain where your morality begins and ends.
Taking gold fillings was unacceptable because..........
Supporting attacks on trade unions and the terms of their members is acceptable because..........
Either you can defend your position or you can call me a f***ing idiot. Which can you manage?

Your post Clash was in very poor taste, and thats putting it mildly.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

RobertT wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:I have bought through equiniti and barclays stockbrokers for these shares but it will be interesting to see if I get shares from both.
You do know that you're not supposed to make more than one application don't you?
I have done the one through Royal Mail and one is in the wife's name through barclays. Just hoping she gets her quota of shares as they look a good thing to us.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

cloherty1976 wrote:
RobertT wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:I have bought through equiniti and barclays stockbrokers for these shares but it will be interesting to see if I get shares from both.
You do know that you're not supposed to make more than one application don't you?
I have done the one through Royal Mail and one is in the wife's name through barclays. Just hoping she gets her quota of shares as they look a good thing to us.
OK fair enough.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

RobertT wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:
RobertT wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:I have bought through equiniti and barclays stockbrokers for these shares but it will be interesting to see if I get shares from both.
You do know that you're not supposed to make more than one application don't you?
I have done the one through Royal Mail and one is in the wife's name through barclays. Just hoping she gets her quota of shares as they look a good thing to us.
OK fair enough.
You did give me a scare because I did not read this and I only put it in her name as reached my capital gains tax limit for this year. That's why I will be keeping mine but want a profit on hers.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

RobertT did you read all 447 pages as I just read the first 50 and that was it for me. Interesting reading all the same.
Godric
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 855
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
Gender: Male
Location: The Kingdom of Alba

Re: priority shares

Post by Godric »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:I opted out as I wont be here in 3 years. Ill be lucky to be in here in 1 year the way things are going with the bullying,harrassing,and set ups, plus im nearly crippled :Boo hoo! Im glad 99 bretheren stood with me :Applause

Regarding buying shares, its good for a quick buck, they`ll rise sharply at the start, then the decline will begin afer 3-4 weeks. The £2000 you have been promised, as with all privatised firms, will be worth peanuts by the time you can sell them. Once they start selling off buildings, cutting the post office counters out the equasion, staff will be demoralised, service will be bad, the price will plummet.

I have to admit I put my share offer where I put all correspondence from Royal Mail ...... in my blue wheelie bin :thumbup
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."