ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Too late to strike!?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mr Bob
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 18:47
Gender: Male

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by Mr Bob »

CWU caught sleepwalking again :evil/mad

I can't help but think that had we been on strike already the Government might have been forced to back down.
The CWU would certainly have been in a stronger position to negotiate T&C at the very least.
Now that the business and Government have got their way they will just dig their heels in and it is going to be so much harder now to get any meaningful deal.
I remain hopeful though that the CWU can pull something out of the bag.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

There is an different way of looking at things though. Could it be that the Government are reacting to the CWU rather than the Union being behind the curve.

We have a Union gathering of 2,000 reps with Moya in attendance - the government react by announcing a timetable for privatisation.

The Union pass formal notification to RM of a ballot - the government react by commencing the sell off process,

The Union announce that the ballot result with be on 15 October - the government decide that the 15 Oct as the day when trading starts.



Whoever is being led round by a donkey I don't know but there are arguments for both sides. I am hoping its us who have them on the run not that the Union is being slow to react. I suppose it all depends on how its presented and what the agenda of the presenter is.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by BingBong »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:There is an different way of looking at things though. Could it be that the Government are reacting to the CWU rather than the Union being behind the curve.

We have a Union gathering of 2,000 reps with Moya in attendance - the government react by announcing a timetable for privatisation.

The Union pass formal notification to RM of a ballot - the government react by commencing the sell off process,

The Union announce that the ballot result with be on 15 October - the government decide that the 15 Oct as the day when trading starts.



Whoever is being led round by a donkey I don't know but there are arguments for both sides. I am hoping its us who have them on the run not that the Union is being slow to react. I suppose it all depends on how its presented and what the agenda of the presenter is.
I do agree with you on this.i do think that RM are worried. If it was a done deal then they wouldn't be sending us relentless junk in the post. I have a bit of faith. Let's hope it's justified.
Toon Army!
Dan2000
Posts: 18
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 19:14
Gender: Male

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by Dan2000 »

Lot's of people will use this has an excuse to vote NO in the ballot they are just looking to justify it Stand up for your terms and conditions don't let Royal mail scare you
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Dan2000 wrote:Lot's of people will use this has an excuse to vote NO in the ballot they are just looking to justify it Stand up for your terms and conditions don't let Royal mail scare you
Which is what RM wants.
Already voted YES
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by krussel »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
Dan2000 wrote:Lot's of people will use this has an excuse to vote NO in the ballot they are just looking to justify it Stand up for your terms and conditions don't let Royal mail scare you
Which is what RM wants.
Already voted YES
Ditto.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by BernardBresslaw »

I really can't understand why anyone would vote no, unless they have been smoking crack. Who would vote for a pay cut and loss of benefits?

Likewise if anyone crosses the picket line, when the inevitable happens, I think it could get messy.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by hampshireman »

BernardBresslaw wrote:I really can't understand why anyone would vote no, unless they have been smoking crack. Who would vote for a pay cut and loss of benefits?

Likewise if anyone crosses the picket line, when the inevitable happens, I think it could get messy.
In our office we get crack as a staff benefit. Helps us get round the walk :roll: :wink:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by k979aaa »

hampshireman wrote:
BernardBresslaw wrote:I really can't understand why anyone would vote no, unless they have been smoking crack. Who would vote for a pay cut and loss of benefits?

Likewise if anyone crosses the picket line, when the inevitable happens, I think it could get messy.
In our office we get crack as a staff benefit. Helps us get round the walk :roll: :wink:
It will be withdrawn forthwith with privatisation as would your terms and conditions and employment rights!. I say Crack on and vote YES or you will be f**ked before your time!
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by freelunch »

It's not a case of too late for staff to strike, rather it's too early for RM privatisation to go ahead.

An agreement should have been made earlier to enable the government to secure the best price for their sale.
This is very poor oversight by government, the bankers and very poor RM management.
Vote to strike and keep the pressure on to reach a deal.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 736
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
Gender: Female
Location: Tree house

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by Shambles »

freelunch wrote:It's not a case of too late for staff to strike, rather it's too early for RM privatisation to go ahead.

An agreement should have been made earlier to enable the government to secure the best price for their sale. :left: Muppets

This is very poor oversight by government, the bankers and very poor RM management. RM are notoriously incompetant so are our Goverments and Bankers so the 'Norm' then :chuckle

Vote YES to strike and keep the pressure on to reach a deal.
.

:Applause

That poor oversight is our blessing :thumbup
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
slave
Posts: 433
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 21:39
Location: North West

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by slave »

BernardBresslaw wrote:I really can't understand why anyone would vote no, unless they have been smoking crack. Who would vote for a pay cut and loss of benefits?
As it is we could get a pay rise, I have no idea what strings are attached to it though. So as it stands it would not be a pay cut, you sound like RM chiefs coming out with twisted words like that.

As has been said previously, the union will not get an everlasting deal, it will be short term. Once that short term is over (let's go with RM's vision, 3 years) then that is when the real fight will begin for your job/pay/benefits/rights - the only thing the union can hope to achieve now is perhaps 3 years of security. So many people have their heads in the clouds about this current strike they can't see the bigger picture: privatisation is real, it's not going away and will be with us for a long time to come (I don't even believe Labour will have the balls to renationalise RM, the cost and hassle will no doubt be far too much), jobs will be lost (and that includes managers - where are they?) profit will be king, it's a fact of life and something you'll all have to live with.

As it is RM will be glad of a yes vote and for industrial action to take place across the country, then they can withdraw whatever payment it was (no idea what amount it was, but it was payable only to offices not taking industrial action) - they'll save a fortune which will sit nicely in the likes of Moya and her cronies pockets.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by k979aaa »

So defeatist I bet you would not get off your backside?
slave
Posts: 433
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 21:39
Location: North West

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by slave »

I like defeatism, it brings a sense of chaotic realism to the proceedings.

Right now, my backside is in a comfy chair, it's warm and I'm not getting up, although I don't think my backside should be open for discussion on a public forum. :cuppa
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Too late to strike!?

Post by k979aaa »

slave wrote:I like defeatism, it brings a sense of chaotic realism to the proceedings.

Right now, my backside is in a comfy chair, it's warm and I'm not getting up, although I don't think my backside should be open for discussion on a public forum. :cuppa
Well get of that comfy chair and VOTE don't sit on the fence or not VOTE it is the same I want all to VOTE all it takes is a cross in a box and get off your comfy chair and walk to a post box you will walk for longer once it is privatised!