I had the same thing last week was told by the manager to scan it and post it so I would say you have done the right thingBarbel wrote:Not sure if I did the right thing today, I had a special, an international item, I knocked on the door and scanned it as delivered expecting the signature box to come up but it didn't so obviously didn't need a signature. No one answered so I delivered it as you would a tracked item that doesn't need a signature. Now I'm worrying thinking I should have taken it back to the office. Did I do the right thing?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lost Special?
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
Ok thanks.. No it looked liked it was from China..I've also had tracked items that say a signature is required then when I knock on the door and scan it delivered it goes through and the sig box doesn't come up.dvbuk55 wrote:Its an interesting point, was it from the US by any chance? We get loads just lately through the locker as specials that don't require a signature provided it's shown on the PDA there's no need to worry.Barbel wrote:Not sure if I did the right thing today, I had a special, an international item, I knocked on the door and scanned it as delivered expecting the signature box to come up but it didn't so obviously didn't need a signature. No one answered so I delivered it as you would a tracked item that doesn't need a signature. Now I'm worrying thinking I should have taken it back to the office. Did I do the right thing?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
Better than when it says "No Signature Required", you scan it, post it, then press the next button and a bloody signature box comes up!
See in Royal Mail even the bloody parcels lie to you! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
Yes I've had that too!Dorset Plodder wrote:Better than when it says "No Signature Required", you scan it, post it, then press the next button and a bloody signature box comes up!See in Royal Mail even the bloody parcels lie to you!
-
Cornishpostie44
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
Fifteen years and counting for me, I used to come in early, rush around like a tit AND sign for recordeds (never a Special though). My customers loved me for helping them out despite the obvious risk to myself. One day I brought back a DVD sized packet that I forgot to redirect and the s**t hit the fan for sure. The packet was 'test packet' from the damn IB, hoping to catch me stealing the damn thing, wtf!? Thankfully the first thing I did when I returned was attach a redirection sticker on it for the following day otherwise I dread to think.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, someone from a local council estate complained of missing packets (hence the IB) and yes, they were all signed by the idiot that was me back then. I vaguely knew the guy and had heard that he did this to any and everyone who delivered to him. A nice little scam for him and much trouble for me.
NEVER sign for anything, only ever leave packets in a safe place and only when discussed with the customer. It only takes a moment to fill out a P379 and in this current climate it's wise to do what should be done.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, someone from a local council estate complained of missing packets (hence the IB) and yes, they were all signed by the idiot that was me back then. I vaguely knew the guy and had heard that he did this to any and everyone who delivered to him. A nice little scam for him and much trouble for me.
NEVER sign for anything, only ever leave packets in a safe place and only when discussed with the customer. It only takes a moment to fill out a P379 and in this current climate it's wise to do what should be done.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Lost Special?
That to me is irrelevant. Had customers in my office deny giving any instructions, just so they can claim and get something free.Cornishpostie44 wrote:Fifteen years and counting for me, I used to come in early, rush around like a tit AND sign for recordeds (never a Special though). My customers loved me for helping them out despite the obvious risk to myself. One day I brought back a DVD sized packet that I forgot to redirect and the s**t hit the fan for sure. The packet was 'test packet' from the damn IB, hoping to catch me stealing the damn thing, wtf!? Thankfully the first thing I did when I returned was attach a redirection sticker on it for the following day otherwise I dread to think.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, someone from a local council estate complained of missing packets (hence the IB) and yes, they were all signed by the idiot that was me back then. I vaguely knew the guy and had heard that he did this to any and everyone who delivered to him. A nice little scam for him and much trouble for me.
NEVER sign for anything, only ever leave packets in a safe place and only when discussed with the customer. It only takes a moment to fill out a P379 and in this current climate it's wise to do what should be done.
If they ain't in, they're fetching it. Won't even leave with a neighbour, not just because I can't be bothered, but because they're just as likely to claim.
Unless, as they are entitled to do, they write a letter to RM/my manager with instructions to leave parcels elsewhere, it doesn't happen.
They're looking for any excuse to sack people, don't give it to them.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
I know of some offices where Posties get a letter giving written permission from their customers, and keep it in a file, with another copied to their DOM. this certainly covers their ass in the event of a lying customer.
I might be inclined to do that if I was in the habit of leaving parcels, as it is I just 739 them if they're not in. My view is if you order something make sure you're in or make appropriate arrangements. How many of these "E-Bay Babes" do you know that just seem to order endless amounts of crap BUT are never in when you knock. How exactly do they think the Mail Fairy is going to get their crap into their living rooms?
I know some Posties are loth to spend two minutes writing out a 739 (that's what I've timed it at) but if you've got 15 packets to 739 that's 30 mins overtime to book. It makes a lie of the RM statement that packets take no longer to deliver than letters, and therefore you shouldn't be taking any longer!
I might be inclined to do that if I was in the habit of leaving parcels, as it is I just 739 them if they're not in. My view is if you order something make sure you're in or make appropriate arrangements. How many of these "E-Bay Babes" do you know that just seem to order endless amounts of crap BUT are never in when you knock. How exactly do they think the Mail Fairy is going to get their crap into their living rooms?
I know some Posties are loth to spend two minutes writing out a 739 (that's what I've timed it at) but if you've got 15 packets to 739 that's 30 mins overtime to book. It makes a lie of the RM statement that packets take no longer to deliver than letters, and therefore you shouldn't be taking any longer!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: Lost Special?
When you scan it in to pda, have a look at the number. If there is a dot next to it, that signifies a signature is required. No dot, no sig required.Dorset Plodder wrote:Better than when it says "No Signature Required", you scan it, post it, then press the next button and a bloody signature box comes up!See in Royal Mail even the bloody parcels lie to you!
I had a special (international item) the other week thst didn't need a sig, much to my surprise. Handed it over to the lady scanned it as delivered. Said to the locker staff when I got back and she said, no problem they have had a few of those items not requiring a signature come through.
-
Rudolph_Hucker
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.
Re: Lost Special?
Quality tip, thanks!steve1873 wrote:Dorset Plodder wrote:Better than when it says "No Signature Required", you scan it, post it, then press the next button and a bloody signature box comes up!See in Royal Mail even the bloody parcels lie to you!
When you scan it in to pda, have a look at the number. If there is a dot next to it, that signifies a signature is required. No dot, no sig required.
I had a special (international item) the other week thst didn't need a sig, much to my surprise. Handed it over to the lady scanned it as delivered. Said to the locker staff when I got back and she said, no problem they have had a few of those items not requiring a signature come through.
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
Getting a bit stressed. Had 3 specials today which I shouldn't have taken as it was a trolley job with no PDA but I was told I had to take them. A bloke stops me in the street and asked me if I'm delivering to XXXXX street as he was expecting a special and I did indeed have his special. He confirmed the number of the house, name and showed me his ID. Because I didn't have a PDA I had to write his name, address and tracking number on a red slip so I could scan it as delivered when I got back to the office. Because he was stood right next to me I was rushing and forgot to ask him to sign the slip, so even though he's got it and told me that it was a necklace for his wife for her birthday I haven't got anything signed to say he's got it. So am I going to get a rollocking now even though I know it was given to the person it was addressed on the street? 
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Lost Special?
theyre bound to ask you why no signature and no item returned, just say you handed item over and forgot to get a signature but the customer does have the item. (dont say you handed it over in the street!) So long as the customer doesnt call up and complain about not receiving it (very unlikely seeing as you took his name and address, probably legit) then you should be fine, as it was just a mistake of forgetting to get it signed. RM dont care too much about no signatures (tho i wouldnt make a common practise of it!) providing a customer isnt complaining about not getting said item, then the buck stops with you.Barbel wrote:Getting a bit stressed. Had 3 specials today which I shouldn't have taken as it was a trolley job with no PDA but I was told I had to take them. A bloke stops me in the street and asked me if I'm delivering to XXXXX street as he was expecting a special and I did indeed have his special. He confirmed the number of the house, name and showed me his ID. Because I didn't have a PDA I had to write his name, address and tracking number on a red slip so I could scan it as delivered when I got back to the office. Because he was stood right next to me I was rushing and forgot to ask him to sign the slip, so even though he's got it and told me that it was a necklace for his wife for her birthday I haven't got anything signed to say he's got it. So am I going to get a rollocking now even though I know it was given to the person it was addressed on the street? :nervous
However, this is exactly the kind of roulette youre playing with your job when handing out things - especially specials in the street. Its one thing to forget when handing over item at his door, but now the guy MAY think he can get away with something because you did hand it over in street PLUS he knows he didnt sign for it. Again, MOST people are honest and just want their package early so wont be a problem, but you can never guarantee who is going to stitch you up.