Soldier stabbed as he tried to stop thieves is saved by Help for Heroes hoody slung over shoulder which deflected blade
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hoody.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lance Corporal Gareth Barton was stabbed after grabbing an alleged thief
He said his Help for Heroes hoody reduced the impact of the knife
He is on medical leave after two seven months spells in Afghanistan
A soldier who was stabbed when he tried to stop two thieves was saved by his Help For Heroes hoody which was slung over his shoulders.
Lance Corporal Gareth Barton survived after the knife became stuck in the garment’s thick material.
Lance Cpl Barton, 35, spotted a man attempting to break into a Royal Mail van in the early hours of the morning while he was out getting fresh air.
But as he grabbed the offender, another appeared and assaulted him, punching him and stabbing him in his side.
However, the soldier's hoody reduced the impact of the knife as it stopped the blade from penetrating too deep.
Lance Cpl Barton, is a combat medical technician based at the Field Hospital near Normandy Barracks in Aldershot, Hampshire.
Having served two seven month spells in Afghanistan, he is now on medical leave and is taking medication for a back injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.
His medication gives him trouble sleeping as a side effect causes him to heat up - so he decided to talk a walk for some fresh air and a cool down.
The father-of-one said: 'I was out getting some fresh air near a little duck pond - which is by the car park where I found the thieves.
Lance Corporal Barton is a combat medical technician based at the Field Hospital near Normandy Barracks in Aldershot, Hampshire
Treatment: Lance Cpl Barton, who has served in Afghanistan and Kenya, had the minor puncture wound near his rib-cage patched up at hospital, where he was kept overnight
'I was starting to sweat a little bit because of the medication I’m on so I took my hoody off and slung it over my shoulders with the arms tied at the front.
'When I confronted the attacker I had my headphones in my right ear listening to music so I didn’t notice the other attacker who was carrying a blade.
'Fortunately, the hoody is quite thick and heavy duty so it definitely prevented the blade going in further than it did.
'I’m always wearing it - it’s my favourite hoody.
'I didn’t even realise I had been stabbed until I ran back to the army base with my hand on my side.
'The stab wound was just short of an inch in depth but if it had gone any further it could have required surgery.
'I feel like I did the right thing though and if you asked me if I would do it again I would say yes.'
The soldier, who has also served in Kenya, had the minor puncture wound near his rib-cage patched up at hospital, where he was kept overnight.
He said: 'I can’t believe I survived two tours of Afghanistan and then someone tried to stab me in a British street.
'If it wasn’t for the hoody the injury would have been much worse - I might not be alive today.'
Hampshire police are appealing for information to help catch the suspects.
The first is described as a white man in his late teens to early 20s, of slim build, around 5ft 10in tall and wearing dark clothing and baseball cap.
The second is a white man of the same height, of average build and wearing dark clothing.
A police spokesman said: 'The victim was incredibly brave and this could have been much worse.'
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Soldier stabbed as he tried to stop thieves
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Soldier stabbed as he tried to stop thieves
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.