ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Antrim - Mayor hits out at 'cheap shot' by Post Office

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Antrim - Mayor hits out at 'cheap shot' by Post Office

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.antrimtimes.co.uk/news/local ... -1-1688625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE Mayor of Antrim, Councillor Adrian Watson, has accused the Post Office of taking a cheap shot at Antrim council by claiming they had prior knowledge of the proposed closure of Parkhall Post Office.

At last Monday's public meeting, Royal Mail's Barbara Roulston had said that all councils had been written to last summer as part of the consultation process.

"I don't believe Antrim responded," Ms Roulston informed those at the meeting.

DUP councillor Trevor Clarke hit back saying that with "Eight or nine councillors present" the thought it was "a cheap shot by saying that you've written to councils prior to this consultation".

"This is the first that I've heard of us having been previously consulted on this closure. I think it is a cheap shot saying that in front of people here tonight," Cllr. Clarke said.

Ms Roulston replied: "The Chief Executive was written to."

Cllr. Watson said that the following morning he would look into her claim and see what communication had been received.

"Last Thursday was the first time correspondance about this closure was brought to council," Cllr. Watson said.

He added: "If somebody has not bothered to pass that information on, I assure you that it will be taken further."

Speaking to the Antrim Times on Tuesday morning, Cllr. Watson admitted that Post Office had written to Antrim council but that there was no mention of Parkhall Post Office's closure as part of the consultation.

"It was stated to everyone there - the MP, MLAs and members of the public - that as a corporate body, Antrim Borough Council had not bothered replying," Cllr. Watson.

He added: "The consultation we received was very generic so this was a blatant lie and an attempt to mislead. It was a cheap shot.

"It is complete nonsense that we had prior knowedge and didn't do anything about it.

"I went through what we received with the chief executive of Antrim council and there is nothing mentioned about Parkhall.

"I will be demanding that the Post Office and Royal Mail clarify the statements they made."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: Antrim - Mayor hits out at 'cheap shot' by Post Office

Post by chooch »

"The consultation we received was very generic so this was a blatant lie and an attempt to mislead. ..

"I will be demanding that the Post Office and Royal Mail clarify the statements they made."


Best be prepared to wait; It's a long queue no-matter who you are ..