http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/lat ... 96.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A FARMER fears Royal Mail cutbacks will see him and others in rural areas ‘abandoned’ by their postmen.
Richard Bingham, who runs a beef herd at Holbeck Farm in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, was told his postman would not deliver to his property in future unless he installed a post-box at the end of his track.
Mr Bingham said: “Royal Mail have been delivering to my address for the last 70 years without a problem.
“Now we are being told they will not deliver to us unless we put a box up where our road joins the public road.
“The road to our farm is about half a mile long and our neighbours’ is about a mile. The security aspect is what worries me.”
Mr Bingham said he thought Government plans to sell-off the Royal Mail would ‘undoubtedly’ lead to a disruption in the service.
“I think they want to cut the delivery times down to save money and coming down rural roads takes up too much time for them, compared to delivering in the urban areas,” added Mr Bingham.
“They might be cutting back but they can’t just cut us off. It is a concern deliveries to a lot of farmers might just stop altogether.”
The Government has said the planned privatisation of the Royal Mail is essential to enable it to compete – a statement rubbished by the Communication Workers Union.
Royal Mail spokesman Nick Martens said: “Deliveries to Holbeck Farm remain as before and the delivery manager has no plans to change the delivery process.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
Someone trying to shorten their duty, perhapsTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Richard Bingham, who runs a beef herd at Holbeck Farm in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, was told his postman would not deliver to his property in future unless he installed a post-box at the end of his track.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
Actually been advised the track is in a bad state of repair.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Someone trying to shorten their duty, perhapsTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Richard Bingham, who runs a beef herd at Holbeck Farm in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, was told his postman would not deliver to his property in future unless he installed a post-box at the end of his track.
![]()
![]()
I assumed something, and I was wrong so my apologies.
Its a good lesson though that we all have to be careful when we read more into something than is posted.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
“Now we are being told they will not deliver to us unless we put a box up where our road joins the public road. The road to our farm is about half a mile long and our neighbours’ is about a mile. The security aspect is what worries me.”
Mr Bingham should realise that mail boxes are sold complete with a lock to which he would keep the key, not that that's really necessary as most just have something like an old breadbin at the lane end of their farm track and I don't think I know of any farmhouses that are ever locked.
Farmers are always whingeing though and Mr Bingham will probably be complaining about the badgers next. 
Mr Bingham should realise that mail boxes are sold complete with a lock to which he would keep the key, not that that's really necessary as most just have something like an old breadbin at the lane end of their farm track and I don't think I know of any farmhouses that are ever locked.
-
houseoflords
- Posts: 352
- Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
Farmers are always whinging, they get plenty of government handouts too, I never seen one on a bicycle either. Most are Tories believing they own the countryside.
-
wally7
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 21 Nov 2008, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
So what happens when there is a track or sign for then the postman/woman has to go up the track.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
No form leave, if there is a H&S reason why you don't use the track you don't ignore it for a signature.wally7 wrote:So what happens when there is a track or sign for then the postman/woman has to go up the track.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
The signed fors are usually Special Delivery, a polystyrene box of semen for his AI.wally7 wrote:So what happens when there is a track or sign for then the postman/woman has to go up the track.
No 'cut off' till he's attended to that.
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
Know wot you meanTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Actually been advised the track is in a bad state of repair.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Someone trying to shorten their duty, perhapsTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Richard Bingham, who runs a beef herd at Holbeck Farm in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, was told his postman would not deliver to his property in future unless he installed a post-box at the end of his track.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
I assumed something, and I was wrong so my apologies.
Its a good lesson though that we all have to be careful when we read more into something than is posted.![]()
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
kasper
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 17:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail cutbacks could see farmers 'cut off'
I guess you do not know to many farmers the with a statement like that then !!!!houseoflords wrote:Farmers are always whinging, they get plenty of government handouts too, I never seen one on a bicycle either. Most are Tories believing they own the countryside.