ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman back after gun attack

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman back after gun attack

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5989208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A postman who was shot while out making deliveries has said he will let bygones be bygones with the youths who targeted him.

Paul Shermer was shot at by two teenagers wielding a BB gun or air rifle while delivering post on Rossett Avenue, Mereside, on August 10.

The postman, from Poulton, was hit twice in the face, one shot narrowly missing his eyes and hitting his glasses.

The youths continued to shoot at him as he left the street.

The incident shocked residents with Royal Mail bosses deciding to suspend deliveries in the area until they knew the postman would be safe.

Mr Shermer, 54, has since met with one of the youths involved in the incident, who offered an apology to him.

Mr Shermer accepted and shook his hand.

He said: “I did feel a bit disappointed [after the incident] but since going back on it’s been pretty good.

​“One of the lads has apologised.

“He said he was sorry and I shook his hand and said I’ve wiped the slate clean.

“I don’t hold grudges.

“I think everyone has to learn lessons in life, he’ll regret it, I just hope he won’t do it again.”

Mr Shermer resumed his round on the street on August 13 after police reassured Royal Mail bosses they had spoken to the youths and their families.

He added: “It was frustrating in a way not being able to deliver.

“I’ve had very good feedback from residents, I’m being stopped about four or five times a day, it’s been very positive.

“People were very angry at what happened.”

Ann Allen, secretary of Mereside Resident’s Association, said she was pleased to hear community spirit had prevailed.

She said: “I’m very pleased the young fellow has gone and apologised.

“I’m glad there’s been a good outcome, those boys have got to realise how close they came to a criminal act.

“If the postman had lost his eye ... my goodness.

“A gun like that is not a good idea.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Postman back after gun attack

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:“A gun like that is not a good idea.”
It's not the gun that's the problem.
It's the idiot holding it.
And the idiot parent that gave it to them.
Not a good idea.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.