Royal Mail chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bosses
Ministers and the media criticised for the 'highly politicised' atmosphere around the issue of executive benefits
The Guardian, Monday 26 August 2013 http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... cutive-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pay-setting in government-backed companies is "hopelessly broken", according to Royal Mail's £1.5m-a-year chief executive, who in an unguarded email also criticised a "highly politicised" atmosphere surrounding corporate governance.
Moya Greene's candid communication was sent to a member of the public who had voiced concern about her being offered a £250,000 housing allowance, and who shared it with the Guardian.
The postal chief also complained about what she called the aggravating role of the media as she sought to explain why the lucrative perk had been offered to her, and why she had decided to hand it back.
In her email, which Royal Mail confirmed was genuine, Greene, a Canadian, said she was "deeply offended" by the criticism that had come her way over pay and benefits. She added that she was unimpressed with the amount of time it had taken ministers and civil servants to settle her remuneration.
"I took on a company in grave difficulty," she wrote. "I was here for a full 15 months before officials and/or ministers deigned to explain the exact basis upon which I would be paid. I had long resigned my previous position.
"The actual practise [sic] for setting and applying agreed compensation arrangements for [chief executive officers] in commercial companies involving government shareholding is hopelessly broken here," she wrote on 5 August.
Greene, a former civil servant and businesswoman in Canada who took over at Royal Mail in the summer of 2010, has been steering the formerly loss-making 497-year-old service towards an expected privatisation. The Communication Workers Union said in August her pay was "imitating private-sector excess" after a Royal Mail report showed she received a 33% rise last year to bring her pay, including pension contributions, to £1.47m.
The business secretary, Vince Cable, had also expressed his concern about the relocation payment, which Royal Mail's independent remuneration committee of non-executive directors approved. After Cable's comments, Greene offered to hand back the money, which, she wrote, had been offered "in good faith".
In her email, Greene added: "The climate for executives and their abilty [sic] to manage in the UK remains highly politicised, all aggravated by a press corp whose general traits have been well set out by Mr. Justice Levinson [sic]."
But she also robustly defended her track record. With her at the helm, Royal Mail moved from losing money in 2010-11 to generating £334m of cash in 2012-13. She wrote: "In Royal Mail as a commercial company with a public mission we have a long way to go … but it is certainly more stable now … able to offer thousands of people, 150,000 in fact, good jobs with salaries and benefits far superior to that available elsewhere in our intensely competitive industry."
Royal Mail declined to comment on "individual correspondence" but stressed that there was no breakdown in confidence with the government. It said Royal Mail "has enjoyed tremendous support from government on many issues", and the organisation was "very grateful to ministers and their colleagues for their past support and continued assistance".
Defending the original decision to provide a relocation allowance, Royal Mail said this had been provided in "exceptional circumstances" to take into account the difference in house prices between Britain and Canada. It added: "The chief executive was not involved in the decision and has voluntarily offered to return this assistance. The remuneration committee has accepted this offer."
Royal Mail added that under Greene's leadership, the company had been transformed and that it no longer had the "going-concern" financial issues that were a factor at the time of her appointment.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RM chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bosses
-
the deliverer
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 14 May 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
RM chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bosses
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 27 Aug 2013, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title to orginal articles
Reason: changed title to orginal articles
-
the deliverer
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 14 May 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: I took on a company in grave difficulty
No need to privatise then?Royal Mail added that under Greene's leadership, the company had been transformed and that it no longer had the "going-concern" financial issues that were a factor at the time of her appointment.
-
Cut Off King
- Posts: 1078
- Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 21:18
- Gender: Female
Re: I took on a company in grave difficulty
Might I suggest that if Moya doesn't like the way we reward here in the UK, she is welcome to leave and go back to Canada.
After all as she clearly thinks she is a talanted business woman, so she should be able to get herself a job elsewhere.
After all as she clearly thinks she is a talanted business woman, so she should be able to get herself a job elsewhere.
-
Shambles
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 736
- Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Female
- Location: Tree house
Re: I took on a company in grave difficulty
She should open a fish n chip shop and introduce 'Battered Posties' alongside the battered sausages, as part of her new menu, even incorporating a Canadian flavoured variety too.....Cut Off King wrote:Might I suggest that if Moya doesn't like the way we reward here in the UK, she is welcome to leave and go back to Canada.
After all as she clearly thinks she is a talanted business woman, so she should be able to get herself a job elsewhere.
After all don't they say that 'Variety is the Spice of Life!'
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
-
pants123
Re: RM chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bo
Moya Greene is complaining,,, really so you don't like it then... well she is bleeding to death all posties in delivery, crucifying them with impossible work loads...... Moya likes to dish out her evils on the work force, but doesn't like it when someone gives her an hard time...
she can give it out, but cannot take it... typical coward...
she can give it out, but cannot take it... typical coward...
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: RM chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bo
Is she trying to tell us that she did not know what her pay structure was before she actually started? Not only is she a money grabber, she is a lying money grabber. People like her do not jump from one exceptional salary to a job in a foreign country where the salary has not been negotiated for a period of 15 months. Who is she trying to kid.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: RM chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bo
I for one feel sorry for her.
And all those in similar positions in other companies.
Imagine the problems related to pay deals like hers.
What right do any of us have to complain about her remuneration? She ONLY gets approx. £1.5m a year.
I wouldn't have even bothered relocating for that, I'd have insisted on doing the job remotely, via the inter-web, if they weren't going to offer her a decent pay package.....
And all those in similar positions in other companies.
Imagine the problems related to pay deals like hers.
What right do any of us have to complain about her remuneration? She ONLY gets approx. £1.5m a year.
I wouldn't have even bothered relocating for that, I'd have insisted on doing the job remotely, via the inter-web, if they weren't going to offer her a decent pay package.....
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
Shambles
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 736
- Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Female
- Location: Tree house
Re: RM chief Moya Greene bemoans 'broken' pay-setting for bo
UnhappyGremlin wrote:I for one feel sorry for her.
And all those in similar positions in other companies.
Imagine the problems related to pay deals like hers.
What right do any of us have to complain about her remuneration? She ONLY gets approx. £1.5m a year.
I wouldn't have even bothered relocating for that, I'd have insisted on doing the job remotely, via the inter-web, if they weren't going to offer her a decent pay package.....
I'm with you on this UG, I've even started a collection for her at my office
I've been threatened with my head shaved if I don't stop
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.