http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... m_parcels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wallington Royal Mail worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing from parcels
A postal worker has admitted opening parcels and stealing more than £200 while at work.
Carshalton man Michael O'Connor admitted four counts relating to him stealing cards and packets while working as a postal operator at the Royal Mail delivery office in Wallington.
The 55-year-old pleaded guilty to one count of stealing £200, another of taking £10 and a third of stealing five greeting cards.
The fourth count relates to an abuse of his position.
The offences all happened between May 1 and May 3.
O'Connor admitted the crimes at Croydon Magistrates' Court today and was bailed for sentencing tomorrow.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Wallington RM worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Wallington RM worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
beria
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 30 Apr 2012, 05:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Wallington RM worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing
Take the case to the Crown Court ! 
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Wallington RM worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing
Wasn't worth losing his job over, was it?
How stupid can he be?
I'll have £1 on a suspended sentence.
How stupid can he be?
I'll have £1 on a suspended sentence.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Wallington RM worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing
You lost your £1 Gremlin - he didn't even get thatUnhappyGremlin wrote:I'll have £1 on a suspended sentence.
Wallington postman spared jail after taking £200 from birthday cards over two years
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... two_years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A pilfering postman who stole hundreds of pounds from people's birthday cards over a two year period has been spared jail.
Michael O'Connor confessed to stealing around £200 he took from greetings cards before going out on his rounds in and around Wallington.
The 55-year-old from Sherbourne Crescent had worked as a postman based at the Wallington Delivery Office for 24 years before he started stealing money from people's cards in 2011 after the death of his brother prompted him to start drinking.
His thefts continued until May this year when a Royal Mail investigation, launched after reports of unusual levels of missing mail connected to the Wallington depot, caught him taking coloured cards from the postmen's carts before they went out on rounds.
Investigators searched O'Connor and found several greetings cards, including one destined for someone in Heron Way, as well as a £10 note he had taken.
Speaking at Croydon Magistrates Court on Thursday, prosecutor Natalie MacNamee said: "Mr O'Connor was interviewed under caution and he admitted he had been opening mail for a period of a few years. he said it was about one to three cards per week and he thought he may have taken around £200 since May 2011."
John Pendlebury, defending, told the court it was "tragic circumstances" that led to O'Connor finding himself in court. He said: "Following the death of his brother he had been drinking too munch and hiding it from his wife.
"He has now lost his good name, lost his job as he resigned immediately, and now he finds himself on benefits trying to get his life back together.
"The magistrates said it was "very sad" that O'Connor found himself in court and opted against giving him a prison sentence. He will have to do 150 hours of unpaid work, something his solicitor said he O'Connor would be happy to do while he searches for employment, and will pay £260 in costs.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Wallington RM worker Michael O'Connor admits stealing
That's crazy.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You lost your £1 Gremlin - he didn't even get thatUnhappyGremlin wrote:I'll have £1 on a suspended sentence.![]()
The pathetic excuses trotted out by his lawyer are too.
There is no justification for stealing kids birthday money and tarring the rest of us as thieves.
I'll give the £1 to charity tomorrow.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.