ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How is a van share suppose to work?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
goldy
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by goldy »

andy3665 wrote:Are you the rapper goldy? Or do you have gold teeth? :left:
:thumbup
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by aposter »

clashcityrocker wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I can drive so if the driver has a lot of attendence calls on his loop I can get a few oversize done if I am back first...
No you can't.
One van - one driver.
Since when?? If both can drive for PO then so long as times are logged then not a problem.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by clashcityrocker »

aposter wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I can drive so if the driver has a lot of attendence calls on his loop I can get a few oversize done if I am back first...
No you can't.
One van - one driver.
Since when?? If both can drive for PO then so long as times are logged then not a problem.
So you take the logbook out with you and carry out a vehicle check each time?
In case you missed it:

It's not really it's very black and white..

Under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 Royal Mail has a legal obligation to provide, when required, details on the identity of any driver using a vehicle at a particular time. In order to fulfil this obligation, the Vehicle Condition & Mileage Logbook (the logbook) will be used as the primary day-to-day control record.

For the purposes of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the driver whose name is last recorded in the logbook will be considered responsible for the roadworthiness and security of the vehicle until responsibility is transferred to the next driver by signature in the logbook. Only the driver whose name is recorded in the logbook may drive the vehicle until responsibility is transferred. Subsequent drivers must carry out at least a “duty” level (roadworthiness) vehicle check before driving and the vehicle logbook must be completed in line with the example used in the Overnight Retention of Vehicles Policy, located in the 6 phase intranet site).

Drivers must be able to provide a detailed and accurate record of vehicle transfer between themselves and another driver/s via the logbook.

It is a very serious offence to drive a vehicle without the appropriate driving licence and necessary permission. Any breach of this condition will be treated under the Royal Mail Conduct Code.

Failure to adhere to these principles may lead to disciplinary action being taken under the Conduct Code and could result in dismissal.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by DGP1 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
aposter wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I can drive so if the driver has a lot of attendence calls on his loop I can get a few oversize done if I am back first...
No you can't.
One van - one driver.
Since when?? If both can drive for PO then so long as times are logged then not a problem.
So you take the logbook out with you and carry out a vehicle check each time?
Yes :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:It was a very grey area.
It's not really it's very black and white..

Under Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 Royal Mail has a legal obligation to provide, when required, details on the identity of any driver using a vehicle at a particular time. In order to fulfil this obligation, the Vehicle Condition & Mileage Logbook (the logbook) will be used as the primary day-to-day control record.

For the purposes of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the driver whose name is last recorded in the logbook will be considered responsible for the roadworthiness and security of the vehicle until responsibility is transferred to the next driver by signature in the logbook. Only the driver whose name is recorded in the logbook may drive the vehicle until responsibility is transferred. Subsequent drivers must carry out at least a “duty” level (roadworthiness) vehicle check before driving and the vehicle logbook must be completed in line with the example used in the Overnight Retention of Vehicles Policy, located in the 6 phase intranet site).

Drivers must be able to provide a detailed and accurate record of vehicle transfer between themselves and another driver/s via the logbook.

It is a very serious offence to drive a vehicle without the appropriate driving licence and necessary permission. Any breach of this condition will be treated under the Royal Mail Conduct Code.


Failure to adhere to these principles may lead to disciplinary action being taken under the Conduct Code and could result in dismissal.

It's managers who are grey. :cuppa
:chuckle You've no idea how many times these guys go out without a log book or a log book that's been full for a week, despite being told how important it is.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by aposter »

clashcityrocker wrote:
aposter wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I can drive so if the driver has a lot of attendence calls on his loop I can get a few oversize done if I am back first...
No you can't.
One van - one driver.
Since when?? If both can drive for PO then so long as times are logged then not a problem.
So you take the logbook out with you and carry out a vehicle check each time?
You mean you don't take your log book out? :no no

Did you read the bit where I said time is logged (in the log book, without saying?)

As for a van check, if you have managed to scrub the tires during a duty :Applause and if the bumper was hanging off when I returned to a van I think I might notice.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by fishtank »

aposter wrote:Did you read the bit where I said time is logged (in the log book, without saying?)
There is no way you are signing the log book every time you change driver.
You would go through a new log book in a month that way.
You are certainly not performing a vehicle check each time.
All this is fine until something goes pear shaped.

The real question is why do it?
The only real answer would be because it saves time so why are you trying to save time?
Is your duty too big and you lack the courage to confront management over this or are you trying to finish early?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by OnAFlyer »

fishtank wrote:
aposter wrote:Did you read the bit where I said time is logged (in the log book, without saying?)
There is no way you are signing the log book every time you change driver.
You would go through a new log book in a month that way.
You are certainly not performing a vehicle check each time.
All this is fine until something goes pear shaped.

The real question is why do it?
The only real answer would be because it saves time so why are you trying to save time?
Is your duty too big and you lack the courage to confront management over this or are you trying to finish early?
The logbook tick sheet has daily/duty/special columns, so why would a second driver on the same duty on the same day need to redo the checks? What would the second driver tick exactly? Daily? Already been done that day. Duty? Already been done for the duty. Special? Nope, that's for when the van is used for something else other than a normal duty.

My partner and I are both RM drivers with up to date license checks etc, and both do packets, pick each other up etc depending on who finishes first. It has nothing to do with walks too big or saving time, it's called common sense and working together.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by aposter »

fishtank wrote:
aposter wrote:Did you read the bit where I said time is logged (in the log book, without saying?)
There is no way you are signing the log book every time you change driver.
You would go through a new log book in a month that way.
You are certainly not performing a vehicle check each time.
All this is fine until something goes pear shaped.

The real question is why do it?
The only real answer would be because it saves time so why are you trying to save time?
Is your duty too big and you lack the courage to confront management over this or are you trying to finish early?
Don't presume to tell me how I am doing my job, the fact that you seem to be incapable of following a few simple guidelines doesn't mean we all are.

The fact that you sound as if you are happy to sit in a van for 20 minutes tossing it off until your designated driver of the day comes back and does all the work says everything :so there

I guess if your partner collects all the specials from the locker, you make him deliver them all as well.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by fishtank »

OnAFlyer wrote:The logbook tick sheet has daily/duty/special columns, so why would a second driver on the same duty on the same day need to redo the checks? What would the second driver tick exactly? Daily? Already been done that day. Duty? Already been done for the duty. Special? Nope, that's for when the van is used for something else other than a normal duty.
That's kind of a silly point.
There shouldn't be a second driver on the same duty on the same day which is why there is no second tick box available.

Only the driver whose name is recorded in the logbook may drive the vehicle until responsibility is transferred. Subsequent drivers must carry out at least a “duty” level (roadworthiness) vehicle check before driving and the vehicle logbook must be completed in line with the example used in the Overnight Retention of Vehicles Policy, located in the 6 phase intranet site).

How difficult is it to understand the above paragraph.
Is it written in sanskrit or something?
These are Royal Mail's rules,not mine.
They might seem stupid but does that mean we get to ignore all of their stupid rules?

Failure to adhere to these principles may lead to disciplinary action being taken under the Conduct Code and could result in dismissal.

How difficult is that one to understand?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by clashcityrocker »

aposter wrote:
Don't presume to tell me how I am doing my job, the fact that you seem to be incapable of following a few simple guidelines doesn't mean we all are.

The fact that you sound as if you are happy to sit in a van for 20 minutes tossing it off until your designated driver of the day comes back and does all the work says everything :so there

I guess if your partner collects all the specials from the locker, you make him deliver them all as well.
I was going to compose a considered response to your abusive post, but I can't be arsed.
You're a twat.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by hampshireman »

bigcol wrote:
andy3665 wrote:Is he suppose to take parcels?

As many as possible. As a driver, I deliver less than 10 packets a week by van. My motto is 'That'll fit in your bag.' :nana
What a good motto. So, basically you will screw your partner (note the word) over.

Pathetic.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by hampshireman »

clashcityrocker wrote:
aposter wrote:
Don't presume to tell me how I am doing my job, the fact that you seem to be incapable of following a few simple guidelines doesn't mean we all are.

The fact that you sound as if you are happy to sit in a van for 20 minutes tossing it off until your designated driver of the day comes back and does all the work says everything :so there

I guess if your partner collects all the specials from the locker, you make him deliver them all as well.
I was going to compose a considered response to your abusive post, but I can't be arsed.
You're a twat.
I like your considered response.

I would have use a stronger term
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by aposter »

clashcityrocker wrote:
aposter wrote:
Don't presume to tell me how I am doing my job, the fact that you seem to be incapable of following a few simple guidelines doesn't mean we all are.

The fact that you sound as if you are happy to sit in a van for 20 minutes tossing it off until your designated driver of the day comes back and does all the work says everything :so there

I guess if your partner collects all the specials from the locker, you make him deliver them all as well.
I was going to compose a considered response to your abusive post, but I can't be arsed.
You're a twat.
My post abusive :left:
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: How is a van share suppose to work?

Post by chrisj »

I don't understand all these arguments about who is driving or not. Some people appear to want to be in control - like the old drivers-type. Or some are just being pedantic with rules which is not even black or white?

Yes, it is impractical to note every changeover in the logbook but this is supposed to be a partnership. There is nothing in the P&L agreement that states that one person has to be a dedicated 'driver' and the other a 'walker'.

So what is the worst that can happen? One of the partners commits an offence or damages the van and then denies it: I doubt that very much; and after an investigation, the truth will come out.

Its is not about trying to finish early - but doing the job the most efficient way. Ours loops are often fairly similar in size and we tend to return to the same base most of the time after going off; early returners can quickly do a packet or something else (tidy up etc).

For example, I was a walker today - complete walker using a trolley and bag drops from start to almost finish, But my partners who does a corresponding walk which is more rural used the van and packs the van for me at the end to return to the office.

Partner is a FT staff and helps with prepping and does bulky packets... He lives not very far (at a nearby round) from where I pick up the van; so he leaves the van for me to return to the office. I complete the logbook with final figures and sign van back in. What is the problem? During lapse, he can drop me at the start, he packs up at the other and I pick him up later - some of our lapse do not loop.

People are taking vans home, using other people's vans for collection and doing all sorts without any manager batting an eyelid.