http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5947881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deliveries on a Blackpool street have been suspended after a postman was shot in the face by youths wielding a BB gun.
Paul Shermer was delivering post on Blackpool’s Mereside estate when he was hit by ball bearings fired by two teenagers.
He was struck twice in the face – one shot narrowly missing one of his eyes and cracking his glasses.
Mr Shermer said the youths continued to fire on him as he fled from Rossett Avenue into Castlerigg Place.
Today Royal Mail bosses have suspended postal deliveries on Rossett Avenue while an investigation into the incident is launched.
Today Mr Shermer, 54, from Poulton, questioned how the youngsters came to be in possession of the weapon.
He said: “As I was going to post up the right side of the street somebody shot at me, I felt it hit my chin.
“As I turned around they kept shooting at me. I thought they were playing around but they kept shooting.
“I carried on walking and as I went to turn the corner one of the young lads came round behind me and had another go. I thought, ‘What is this all about?’ It is completely out of order.”
The incident has been reported to Lancashire Police and bosses at the Blackpool Royal Mail offices on Edward Street have launched a probe.
Hannah Stott, delivery sector manager, said: “I’m very angry about it. It hit him near his glasses - he could have been blinded. This is what they’re having to contend with out on the streets.”
Mr Shermer, who has worked as a postman for more than 10 years, six of those in South Shore, said while postmen might encounter some problems on their rounds, he has never known of such an incident before.
He added: “I’ve worked that estate for 18 months, there have been a few incidents, kids trying to turn the trolley over once or twice, but I’ve never come across anything like that before.
“I was quite shocked but I’m not traumatised, my concern was I could have been more injured.
“If it had hit me any higher up it could have blinded me. I was really angry.
“Why have they got a pellet gun in the first place? What is going on?”
The incident happened at around 10.45am on Saturday.
Royal Mail bosses are now talking with police to ascertain if the area is safe enough for Mr Shermer and his colleagues to continue delivering on the road.
Mrs Stott confirmed deliveries in Rossett Avenue have been suspended until Royal Mail has “assurances” it is safe for their staff.
“We want to know he’s safe to go back, but he’s worried about his customers, he doesn’t want to let them down,” she added.
“It’s an important job for the community so they shouldn’t be put at risk.”
But the temporary block on post deliveries has upset residents on Rossett Avenue.
John Mallinson looks after his 19-year-old son who has Down’s Syndrome.
He said: “We get hospital and doctors appointments through the post all the time and my daughter has just left school and is getting post from colleges. Now we’re not going to miss those letters.
“To get them, I will have to go to the post office every day to collect my mail, costing me diesel and parking.
“There is absolute uproar on our street.”
It is not illegal to own BB guns in the UK, but those who own them must be over 18 and either a member of a soft air club (to own a realistic-looking BB gun) or have one which is manufactured in an obscure colour such as pink.
Those under 18 can only possess BB guns on private land. It is also illegal to carry realistic imitation firearms in public Most commercial BB firing guns can shoot at speeds beyond 200 feet per second, some of them considerably faster. Police confirmed they received a call at 11.25am on Saturday to say a postman had been hit with a ballbearing from a BB gun.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Deliveries suspended after postman is shot
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Deliveries suspended after postman is shot
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
daveallum
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 175
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 17:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Deliveries suspended after postman is shot
Just about sums this country up,couldn't give a toss about the postie who could have been blinded or worse,just as long as they get their mail.So glad I'm out of this job.
-
Nobodyshero
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 13:44
- Gender: Male
What next
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5947881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Deliveries suspended after postman is shot
Because that's what they should be in uproar about, not getting mail.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But the temporary block on post deliveries has upset residents on Rossett Avenue.
John Mallinson looks after his 19-year-old son who has Down’s Syndrome.
He said: “We get hospital and doctors appointments through the post all the time and my daughter has just left school and is getting post from colleges. Now we’re not going to miss those letters.
“To get them, I will have to go to the post office every day to collect my mail, costing me diesel and parking.
“There is absolute uproar on our street.”
A postie trying to do his job and earn a living has the right to do so without fear of being shot at.
The residents should find out who the culprits are and report them to the police, and their parents need to sort them out.
Given choice between a customer having to pay for diesel and parking, and the safety of a postie just trying to do their job without being severely injured to the point where they may no longer be able to work, it's a simple decision.
Can't believe the selfish attitude of some people.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
jw1234
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
- Gender: Male
Re: What next
Sounds like something that needs to be followed up on after work
If their jokes for parents wont teach them whats right and wrong, someones going to have to.
If their jokes for parents wont teach them whats right and wrong, someones going to have to.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: What next
and another moaning customer. What about poor postman who got shot at.