ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/anger-aft ... -1-5922485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neighbours missed out on their mail for days - after a postman was attacked by a dog three doors away, and Royal Mail declared the whole stretch of street a health and safety risk.

One of the residents affected, Martin Richardson - a former postman himself - said it was ‘ludicrous’ that he could receive no post when the incident did not even happen at his address.

A letter to several homes on Greenhill Avenue, Meadowhead, Sheffield, said a risk assessment had found the threat associated with delivering to neighbouring properties was too high ‘due to the threat of further dog attacks’.

Martin, aged 57, said: “I know things have changed, but when I was a postman you were entitled to refuse to deliver to the house with a dog loose – but other houses on the same street weren’t affected.

“My house isn’t where it happened. My house is semi-detached. The postman doesn’t even have to use the same gate.

“It is ludicrous, but apparently they are quite entitled to suspend deliveries to an entire block of houses.

“It is overkill I think.

“I was a full time carer for my mum until she died in June and I am moving house soon, so I am expecting quite a lot of letters through, things I need to clear up her estate. I could miss out on important mail.”

Royal Mail confirmed it had suspended deliveries to several homes on Greenhill Avenue last week ‘following a dog attack on a delivery postman’ on July 29.

A statement said employees’ health and safety was ‘taken very seriously’ and staff were ‘seeking assurances’ the dog would be kept secured during deliveries in future.

Residents had to collect their mail from the Sheffield South Delivery Office instead.

Deliveries to affected homes resumed on Saturday after a solution was reached with the dog owner.

A Royal Mail spokesman said: “We have discussed the problem with the owner and have been assured the animal would be kept under control.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by DB1100 »

No need for him to miss out on his mail,just go and pick it up simples.
For we were soldiers once,and young
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Same as always.
If it was a friend or relative of one of the residents, it would be a totally different story.
If we deliver when instructed not to, we will be blamed, so I don't do it. We'd also get disciplined for it too.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by daveyeff »

dogs can easily jump normal sized gates anyways. in fact theres a german sheperd on my delivery that can almost get over a 6 foot fence to try and bite my arse.,,,,,,,his dog can almost do it as well. :Very Happy
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

:Very Happy
bryanlythgoe
Posts: 3
Joined: 28 Jul 2013, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by bryanlythgoe »

who delivered the letters saying thier post had been suspended?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Anger after post suspended on Sheffield street

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Managers - carrying nothing else but the suspension letters, usually.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.