ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Strike Ballot coming up

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crookes
Posts: 21
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by crookes »

aiden01 wrote:
feduppostie wrote:Nail right on the head

How many of the all out brigade come in early and run round making those of us who do the job properly look bad and subject to testing

It is these people that have created the problem yet they are the first ones on their high horse if people whose livelihoods depend on Royal Mail say they can't strike

Who among the strike brigade is honest enough to own up to coming in early for free and running round to make time??????????
don,t hold your breath cause there will be no takers to that/
Why do people who personally choose to take Royal Mail money and run on days of industrial action always try to deflect away from themselves and their real reasons for breaking strike???!!!! I actually think it is about time strike breakers were sent out to deliver on strike days to face the public instead of getting paid for drinking tea and peeking out of windows at picket lines. If workers want to break strike then fair enough but at least go out and provide the public service I'm sure you care about so so deeply.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by aiden01 »

crookes wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
feduppostie wrote:Nail right on the head

How many of the all out brigade come in early and run round making those of us who do the job properly look bad and subject to testing

It is these people that have created the problem yet they are the first ones on their high horse if people whose livelihoods depend on Royal Mail say they can't strike

Who among the strike brigade is honest enough to own up to coming in early for free and running round to make time??????????
don,t hold your breath cause there will be no takers to that/
Why do people who personally choose to take Royal Mail money and run on days of industrial action always try to deflect away from themselves and their real reasons for breaking strike???!!!! I actually think it is about time strike breakers were sent out to deliver on strike days to face the public instead of getting paid for drinking tea and peeking out of windows at picket lines. If workers want to break strike then fair enough but at least go out and provide the public service I'm sure you care about so so deeply.
strike breakers don,t like to show there faces :hmmmm
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by feduppostie »

why should people that have done this job the right way every day of their working lives and taken the flack from management ( including prep and walk tests not to mention intimidation)and s**t from their fellow workers for being slow and lazy be berated by people who every day give RM free work by coming in early and running round their rounds like headless chickens for no other reason than making a bit of time?????????

These are the people that have created the current situation

These are usually ( not gonna taint everyone) the first ones on the gate and the most vocal in the office when a strike occurs

It is these people that have created the problem why should the people that have not suffer??

I notice noone answered my previous post so I will ask again

Anyone wanting us to strike do you come in early for free and then run round to make time??

If you do all the strking in the world is not gonna fix the kind of stupid you are
jagger
Posts: 182
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by jagger »

I've always found it's the people who come in early, run around and don't take breaks are the ones who don't strike or moan about it the most. Things must be different where I live to you. As for people not being able to afford to strike, I'm afraid I don't buy that one. No one wants to go without wages,but I'm sure everyone can afford a few weeks(because that's all it would be). There are plenty of people getting by on a fraction of what we earn. Lose a fees weeks wages for job security and better t&c's and a secure pension. Surely it's a no brainer.
paulblues111
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Oct 2009, 19:09
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by paulblues111 »

On the delivery side NO OVERTIME at all RM are struggling now and most of us book extended to clear your own walks
We will still get paid for our contracted hours and within a fortnight every D O will be on there knees with the backlog of work
WORK TO YOUR TIME (and don't come in early !) :thumbup
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by Sidley »

A lot of generalisations being bandied about here, no I don't cut up the job, yeah I will strike and no I don't expect the runners and docket kings to be with us on the picket just like they weren't last time.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by dvbuk55 »

I think there are fewer members than 2009 and more part timers than there was in 2009 and there was quite a few who ignored the call last time. :cuppa
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I have a few comments on this subject and a few opinions.

1. Members who are talking down others opinions just because they asked a question need to have a hrad look at themselves. If we want as much support as possible we need to treat everyone with respect right up to the strict. If you piss potential supporters off for asking a perfectly sensible question then your are eroding your own support already.

2. I seriously doubt this will be an all out open ended strike, in fact I really don't think it will be a long strike at all. In essence although we will be using pay and conditions as the reason fro striking, we, the Union, Royal Mail, the public, the press and even Uncle Tom Cobley all know its a political strike against Privatisation. Therefore everyone expects us to do 1 day rolling strikes and thats what it will be, I think for 2 may be 3 weeks in total. Our point will have been made, the government will be able to call us dinosaurs and the press will do the same. We will have lost a 3 or 4 days pay and the market will be nervous.

3. Privatisation, can we stop it - Realistically the chances are small but if we don't strike then we won't have laid down a marker that we will fight against what we perceive is unfair, wrong or morally questionable and it will be noted. If we do strike then potential shareholders and potential owners will also know that we wont be pushed. If you think that the strings in the pay deal are wrong (I do), that privatisation is not in best interests of Royal Mail as a whole (I am against privatisation), that acceptance of a no strike deal and signing up to a nebulous "agenda for growth and industrial stability” is a step too far ( I think so), then you have a decision to make. The decision is easy, its the consequences of that decision that's difficult. I will vote for a strike and I will strike - however I won't condemn those who won't as long as they are honest about why they are doing it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by fishtank »

Money makes the world go around so they say,It also seems to confuse a great deal of people.
If you can't afford to take a 20% hit on your pay by taking a day's action to protect your terms and conditions I would start looking for another job.

Once we're sold it won't take them long to realise there's 2.5 million out there ready to do your job for 20% less.
We advertised 8 jobs lately and had to close the book after 48 hrs and 150 applicants.

We can make a stand now or we can wait and try it when we're already sold,that'll work. :roll:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Red Robbo
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 680
Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by Red Robbo »

worktotime wrote:totally agree its got to be s**t or bust now , 1 day strikes are no good.
I concur, when you use this one day tactics some members don't even lose anything because the day of action falls on their day off.
If we went for all out then everyone would be part of the action and would not feel left out, Royal Mail would capitulate after ten days.
We must remain an inclusive Union in our strike action and going for an all out strike together with POL should bring both employers to the negotiating table.
No pain, no gain !
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by wiganpostie »

fishtank wrote:We can make a stand now or we can wait and try it when we're already sold,that'll work. :roll:
If the Canadian beast bleeds, we can kill it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPMAB--ick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by spoodoo »

Cannot believe all the money moya greedy s raking in ,,,that's where our profits and shares went,,. We're fighting for a pittance of a payrise after 13 weeks still, and still not a penny of revision money ! Surely this will have strengthened people's resolve ???
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by k979aaa »

wiganpostie wrote:
fishtank wrote:We can make a stand now or we can wait and try it when we're already sold,that'll work. :roll:
If the Canadian beast bleeds, we can kill it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPMAB--ick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well she is not bleeding yet but is bleeding royal mail dry by the sound of things!
stevie247
Posts: 81
Joined: 24 May 2007, 19:21

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by stevie247 »

Someone in our office on hearing the pay deal included £300 extra at christmas said thats great and just at the time we need the extra.Gullible workers is what big business want people only thinking in the short term they will try to confuse by saying we're only trying to help you by improving pension scheme and pay,while at the same time the changes mean that you will be potentially thousands of pounds a year worse off in retirment.And after the "legally binding" 3 year deal is up they WILL be after other terms and conditions including holidays and pay rises.I will strike like the thousands before me who got the terms and conditions that i now enjoy.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by OnAFlyer »

jagger wrote:I've always found it's the people who come in early, run around and don't take breaks are the ones who don't strike or moan about it the most. Things must be different where I live to you. As for people not being able to afford to strike, I'm afraid I don't buy that one. No one wants to go without wages,but I'm sure everyone can afford a few weeks(because that's all it would be). There are plenty of people getting by on a fraction of what we earn. Lose a fees weeks wages for job security and better t&c's and a secure pension. Surely it's a no brainer.
What kind of planet are you living on when you think everyone can afford to live on zero wages for a few weeks?

It's a good job the CWU aren't as deluded as you because calling an all out strike would be a disaster and the end of the fight.