ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Strike Ballot coming up

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by spoodoo »

Why wud u change you're mind later ,you've made you're mind up,,,why not show a bit of strength and unity instead
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by aposter »

Judgee wrote:I just hope that if it comes to IA it's not that ridiculous one-day-a-week rubbish. That gets us nowhere. If we are going out we need to go out and stay out until we get what we want or it will all be for nothing yet again! :Sick
+1
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by Judgee »

human1 wrote:Strike is not the answer .... You just can't beat them ... even it YES vote ... I will cross the picket line. Privatisation will have to happened and thats it ... ist no good striking ... no good what so ever. So on the ballot paper I will put " NO ". #This is my the way I am thinking now .. I might change my mind later... who knows?
Moya Greene please stop posting on our boards thanks! :speak to the hand
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by halfull »

human1 wrote:Strike is not the answer .... You just can't beat them ... even it YES vote ... I will cross the picket line. Privatisation will have to happened and thats it ... ist no good striking ... no good what so ever. So on the ballot paper I will put " NO ". #This is my the way I am thinking now .. I might change my mind later... who knows?
typical british way of thinking! i we all stick together we are stronger than any manager!!
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by Lincox »

I will be out the door as soon as a strike is called. Unfortunately I will probably be the only one, as in 2009.
crookes
Posts: 21
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by crookes »

Johnny A wrote:While I wholeheartedly agree in principal with an all out stoppage, in practice many of us could not afford to go out indefinitely. I would also hazard a guess that in our office (150 people) a series of one dayers would be pretty well supported, but anything more would see a rapid return to work. Depressing, but true.

We've got a great opportunity here to show the government that we're a bit p*ssed off but its got to be done right.
The idea of industrial action is one of struggle not comfort. To bring employers to their senses then you may have to go forgo certain comforts or luxuries for a time if you really do want better long term conditions in your job. If you don't then you will cross a picket line with all the usual i can't afford it sob stories. Workers from previous generations would laugh at how weak we are in the face of struggle!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by OnAFlyer »

halfull wrote:
human1 wrote:Strike is not the answer .... You just can't beat them ... even it YES vote ... I will cross the picket line. Privatisation will have to happened and thats it ... ist no good striking ... no good what so ever. So on the ballot paper I will put " NO ". #This is my the way I am thinking now .. I might change my mind later... who knows?
typical british way of thinking! i we all stick together we are stronger than any manager!!
You think that was written by someone British? I hope not because he has a pretty poor grasp of his own language if so.
crookes wrote: The idea of industrial action is one of struggle not comfort. To bring employers to their senses then you may have to go forgo certain comforts or luxuries for a time if you really do want better long term conditions in your job. If you don't then you will cross a picket line with all the usual i can't afford it sob stories. Workers from previous generations would laugh at how weak we are in the face of struggle!
An all out strike would be the worst thing the CWU could do, many of the guys in my office struggle to pay the bills so zero wages would mean not paying rent or buying food - hardly luxuries. Half the workforce would be back within a week, three quarters after 2 week and by then it's broken.
barrowc
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 383
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 01:36
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by barrowc »

The rotating strikes were a disaster in our area. On the day when delivery were on strike, the Mail Centre drivers refused to cross their picket lines, got suspended and then everyone was out on unofficial action immediately
crookes
Posts: 21
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by crookes »

OnAFlyer wrote:
halfull wrote:
human1 wrote:Strike is not the answer .... You just can't beat them ... even it YES vote ... I will cross the picket line. Privatisation will have to happened and thats it ... ist no good striking ... no good what so ever. So on the ballot paper I will put " NO ". #This is my the way I am thinking now .. I might change my mind later... who knows?
typical british way of thinking! i we all stick together we are stronger than any manager!!
You think that was written by someone British? I hope not because he has a pretty poor grasp of his own language if so.
crookes wrote: The idea of industrial action is one of struggle not comfort. To bring employers to their senses then you may have to go forgo certain comforts or luxuries for a time if you really do want better long term conditions in your job. If you don't then you will cross a picket line with all the usual i can't afford it sob stories. Workers from previous generations would laugh at how weak we are in the face of struggle!
An all out strike would be the worst thing the CWU could do, many of the guys in my office struggle to pay the bills so zero wages would mean not paying rent or buying food - hardly luxuries. Half the workforce would be back within a week, three quarters after 2 week and by then it's broken.
You make it sound like they'll need to chopping up and burning their own furniture to keep warm hahaha. If they want to be one of Moya's minions they will whatever happens.
El-Bandito
Posts: 313
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by El-Bandito »

YOU Can do it!!!!!!!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by dvbuk55 »

human1 wrote:Strike is not the answer .... You just can't beat them ... even it YES vote ... I will cross the picket line. Privatisation will have to happened and thats it ... ist no good striking ... no good what so ever. So on the ballot paper I will put " NO ". #This is my the way I am thinking now .. I might change my mind later... who knows?
Someone who could understand this post!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by k979aaa »

dvbuk55 wrote:
human1 wrote:Strike is not the answer .... You just can't beat them ... even it YES vote ... I will cross the picket line. Privatisation will have to happened and thats it ... ist no good striking ... no good what so ever. So on the ballot paper I will put " NO ". #This is my the way I am thinking now .. I might change my mind later... who knows?
Someone who could understand this post!
Don't worry he is not a member of the CWU if he was he would have voted before if he/she put's NO on the ballot paper it is void just as most managers minds, If striking never got us any where you would not have a vote for our beloved parliament no say just like a royal mail management team brief. I fear for our lost generation to management no thought only rule!.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I don't think, especially to start with, an all out strike would be well supported.
Many people just couldn't afford it.
Think a series of rotating one day strikes would be better, more support, and does considerable harm to RM, and doesn't damage my pocket as much.
If we have each type of unit rotating ( Deliveries/MC's/Distribution/Collection Hubs) but on a continuous loop, so we would all be out 1 day in 4, with no stoppages, i.e. not strike in one week and then wait another 2 weeks before striking again, I think it would do a lot of damage in a short time span.
If, and I realise it's a BIG if, managers vote to strike too (unlikely - but their pensions are on the chopping block too, as would their jobs be after privatisation), then the 2 unions could co-ordinate with each other and have them strike on a 5th day in rotation, thus lessening the impact of lost pay on us all.

And, one major thing, however strikes are organised, if we have RM by the balls, like we did last time, don't clear the back log like we did last time prior to recommencing talks. The union should just insist that the back log can be cleared after the completion of talks, then they can't do what they did last time and use temporary staff to cover the strikes (pretty sure RM did something like this) and take away our main bargaining chip. If RM refuse to talk under those circumstances, just continue striking, they'll change their minds soon enough.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by feduppostie »

The idea of industrial action is one of struggle not comfort. To bring employers to their senses then you may have to go forgo certain comforts or luxuries for a time if you really do want better long term conditions in your job. If you don't then you will cross a picket line with all the usual i can't afford it sob stories. Workers from previous generations would laugh at how weak we are in the face of struggle!
That's very esy to say but not easy to do

What about people where both parents work at Royal Mail ( and we have many) they face losing not one wage but both wages, while your sentiments are admirable the reality of life today is very far removed from the times of previous generations

Families like this may have to be put in the position where they want to support the strike but are totally unable to survive with no money coming in - what do they do? If they choose the option of one going in and one out - we all know what the one going in is called!

But how many on the gate would walk out if it meant the loss of not just their wage but their whole household income
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: Strike Ballot coming up

Post by steven100 »

Personally 1 week in 1 week out would be more effective.