ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

why go o strike?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: why go o strike?

Post by krussel »

Revenant wrote:Seeing as I'm not a member of the union anyway
Fair enough.

Revenant wrote:It's not about not supporting your fellow workers

As a non Union member you would not understand this concept.
Revenant wrote: apart from the hardcore union militants really give a monkey what I do
That's prob the difference here. :hmmmm
The guys in my office are quite close and will stick together to support each over. We stopped work last year because someone was suspended and it was dropped within 2 hours. As you say no one gives a monkeys what you do.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by fishtank »

krussel wrote:As you say no one gives a monkeys what you do.
Straight to the point and bang on the money krussel. :Applause
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by aiden01 »

daisy duck wrote:Just ring in sick that way you are not crossing a picket line and you will not lose any pay.
imo that is even worse than a scab cowards way of doing it.
mailman71
Posts: 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03

Re: why go o strike?

Post by mailman71 »

We strike for better pay,conditions,pensions and more importantly our jobs but there will always be those who want these as well but don't want to fight for them and will give all the excuses in the world.
Nobody wants to go out nowadays but the present government and management at Royal Mail are forcing us on to the street with their tactics.
If we don't stand up to them this time then Royal Mail will put the boot into us big style.
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by flaminmoses »

glad i got out.

non union members are either.

1.dont wear the trousers at home.
2.not liked in their office
3.have management dung on their hooters.
ratchet
Posts: 210
Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
Gender: Male
Location: Buggered off to France

Re: why go o strike?

Post by ratchet »

flaminmoses wrote:glad i got out.

non union members are either.

1.dont wear the trousers at home.
2.not liked in their office
3.have management dung on their hooters.

Quick, where's my union rep, I must join immediately in order to try and disprove the above.

The only problem is my wife wont let me, the union rep doesn't like me (nor it appears does anyone else), and my right hand is too busy fisting the DOM to sign any paperwork.

Our CWU rep is the one with his hooter shoved up the Dom's jacksie (and is probably the most unpopular man in the office).
I am no longer a number :-)
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by fishtank »

ratchet wrote:Our CWU rep is the one with his hooter shoved up the Dom's jacksie (and is probably the most unpopular man in the office).
When I first joined the union my rep was an idiot,I actually had to go through to my branch to get a form(no joining online in those days).He barely spoke to me in the 3 years until he left.
It didn't bother me,I wasn't joining his little club,I was joining a union.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by hampshireman »

fishtank wrote:
mickeymacca wrote:What happens to those that are not in the union are they eligible to go on strike? if not are they held in disregard as a result of working?

The legal protection covering the right to withdraw labour over a trade dispute is not limited to union members.
The exact same protection covers non members.
True.

I am not in the CWU , but would uphold a strike and would not cross a picket line.

It would cost me money that I could ill afford ; but I am lucky in that my wife would support my action.
Even though we could not really afford it

I do however understand why some (espescially contract part time) would not. And would not make them whipping boys/girls

Why am i not in the Union? Have been asked , and said I would join (although never been a Union member in my life) but it has never been followed up by the Rep.

Is that apathy on my part or Reps part?
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: why go o strike?

Post by Tman »

It would cost me money that I could ill afford ; but I am lucky in that my wife would support my action.
Even though we could not really afford it
Never mind, the rest of us will pay your share through our subs. Personally I'd hate to think you might be going without something if you were to pay your couple of quid a week.
To the poster who boasts of phoning in sick on a strike day (you sad man) HR don't (or at least, didn't ) accept sickness on strike days unless you're absent for some days before or after to prevent just this happening.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Tman wrote:
It would cost me money that I could ill afford ; but I am lucky in that my wife would support my action.
Even though we could not really afford it
Never mind, the rest of us will pay your share through our subs. Personally I'd hate to think you might be going without something if you were to pay your couple of quid a week.
To the poster who boasts of phoning in sick on a strike day (you sad man) HR don't (or at least, didn't ) accept sickness on strike days unless you're absent for some days before or after to prevent just this happening.
Well perhaps it would be sneaky but can you imagine the DOMs dealing with 150,000 self certified certificates on the same day - who would be able to decide the bogus from the genuine.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: why go o strike?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Tman wrote:
It would cost me money that I could ill afford ; but I am lucky in that my wife would support my action.
Even though we could not really afford it
Never mind, the rest of us will pay your share through our subs. Personally I'd hate to think you might be going without something if you were to pay your couple of quid a week.
To the poster who boasts of phoning in sick on a strike day (you sad man) HR don't (or at least, didn't ) accept sickness on strike days unless you're absent for some days before or after to prevent just this happening.
Well perhaps it would be sneaky but can you imagine the DOMs dealing with 150,000 self certified certificates on the same day - who would be able to decide the bogus from the genuine.
Mass sickies has been used as a IA, but using it to avoid a strike is a doubly deceitful. Support the strike would be my suggestion, or be honest and cross the picket line, but don't pull a sickie as your lying to RM (possible dismissal) but worse your lying to colleagues.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: why go o strike?

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Tman wrote:
It would cost me money that I could ill afford ; but I am lucky in that my wife would support my action.
Even though we could not really afford it
Never mind, the rest of us will pay your share through our subs. Personally I'd hate to think you might be going without something if you were to pay your couple of quid a week.
To the poster who boasts of phoning in sick on a strike day (you sad man) HR don't (or at least, didn't ) accept sickness on strike days unless you're absent for some days before or after to prevent just this happening.
Well perhaps it would be sneaky but can you imagine the DOMs dealing with 150,000 self certified certificates on the same day - who would be able to decide the bogus from the genuine.
Mass sickies has been used as a IA, but using it to avoid a strike is a doubly deceitful. Support the strike would be my suggestion, or be honest and cross the picket line, but don't pull a sickie as your lying to RM (possible dismissal) but worse your lying to colleagues.
I'm not suggesting in isolation but en masse, hence 150,000 sick notes and I repeat who decides the bogus from the genuine - in fact it would be an interesting exercise in which ailment was used the most and how many times diarrhoea was spelt wrongly :chuckle You may be lying to RM but I suggest it would be a brave person to suggest YOU were the liar as opposed to your colleague who you wouldn't be lying to because he too would be "sick" wouldn't he, the lying sod :cuppa
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: why go o strike?

Post by Pinky 1 »

First you write this ......
Re: Why does everyone moan?
Postby crammypostie1 » 11 Jul 2013, 21:00

I will be on the picket line with my buddies if we strike, lets stick side by side
.......... and then give us this little gem,


Re: why go o strike?
Postby crammypostie1 » 12 Jul 2013, 15:20
crammypostie1 wrote:I think what also bugs people is that FT staff still seem to get all the overtime and work days off whilst PT seem to just get contracted hours.

I remember 07 when we striked, and all those on the picket line hammered the OT before strike to make up for lack of earnings, but there are folk that are just on 20 hrs.

I dont like FT staff on here picking holes in PT arguements about being on smaller hours.

iTS COMMON KNOWLEDE that a FT can afford to strike 2 days, thats minus 16 hours so walk away with 23 HRS whilst PT could be getting just 12.

I dont know if i would strike this time, wife is on maternity leave and have mouths to feed and morgage to pay. Thats my views, and if folk cant understand that my family is my main reason of working and i cant afford to strike then so be it. My family comes first, work collegues come second.

Always have to look after number 1.

Oh and terrier, im not winding folk up here, im giving my honest opinion on my circumstances :thumbup


Sounds like it was a rough 24 hours crammypostie1 :hmmmm
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: why go o strike?

Post by clashcityrocker »

It's a lady's prerogative........
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: why go o strike?

Post by krussel »

clashcityrocker wrote:It's a lady's prerogative........
No that's for 7 days when in that time they can legally kill you. :whistle
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........