ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

heatwave!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: heatwave!

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

crazyshrew wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:Did anyone else have the hot weather brief in WTL today?

Apparently we should wear long sleeved tops, trousers not shorts, and walk in the shade. :hmmmm
long sleeve tops not too much of an issue as the issue shirts are a reasonably light weight, I wont be wearing the trousers they are far to warm for this weather (yet no where near warm enough for winter) but walk in the shade? in the middle of the day??? no problem i'll just put off starting my delivery until 7 pm :Very Happy
So in temperatures in excess of 25 degrees centigrade, we're advised to wear MORE clothes for H&S?
Yes it would protect your skin from UV rays, even after you pass out and collapse on the pavement from heat exhaustion. :crazy:
RM = Morons.
As long as you have plenty of fluids, maybe a hat, and stay out of the sun as much as is possible (though not always easy) there shouldn't be a problem.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
monkeymutha
Posts: 317
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
Gender: Female
Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit

Re: heatwave!

Post by monkeymutha »

Would it not be reasonable for RM to supply sun cream to it's workers?? I have to use my own and it isn't cheap.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: heatwave!

Post by Anonymouse »

We got sun cream and water provided. For one day :crazy:
mailmonkey
Posts: 431
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
Gender: Male

Re: heatwave!

Post by mailmonkey »

Darren Bent wrote:Shame RM didn't move start time from 7 to 5 in those heatwave period.
yep. Thats the one.
Gills_Postie
Posts: 61
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 10:14
Gender: Male

Re: heatwave!

Post by Gills_Postie »

Better uniform would help as well. I think the red polo shirts and blue shirts are a mix of cotton and polyester which is too much in this heat I roast in them. 100% cotton or a breathable material would be much better, but we all know that would cost more so we have no chance.
BettySwollocks
Posts: 346
Joined: 01 Oct 2007, 16:12

Re: heatwave!

Post by BettySwollocks »

OnAFlyer wrote:Did anyone else have the hot weather brief in WTL today?

Apparently we should wear long sleeved tops, trousers not shorts, and walk in the shade. :hmmmm
Yes....i wasn't there, but one of my colleagues mentioned it to me, unbelievable !
wheresourmoney
Posts: 170
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 14:50
Gender: Male

Re: heatwave!

Post by wheresourmoney »

Don't know if it is related to the heat but I had a nose bleed today and it seemed like I had lost about half a pint of claret going by the state of my shirt, up until then I had never had a bleeder in my life.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: heatwave!

Post by Barbel »

It's been hell this past week or so for me in this weather. Last week was a real killer pushing the trolley for over a mile before even delivering a single letter especially on heavy days. This week isn't so bad as I'm in the van but it's still too hot and I've burnt like hell even though I've put sun cream on.
Beaker54
Posts: 27
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 18:46
Gender: Female

Re: heatwave!

Post by Beaker54 »

We were told a couple of years ago during hot/heatwave weather to do the shaded part of your
round first this was a management directive from somewhere you couldnt make it up !!!! what sort
of morons make these stupid decisions