ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The public have no idea!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Post by BELIAL »

Rich wrote:The points about job losses due to new machinery wont convince everyone. From the outside looking in, many will think it's a shame, but from a business point of view cuts have to be made where they can.

Also complaining about having to work over.... lots of people have to do that in their jobs and have to accept the shafting.
Afraid you are going to have to come up with some more compelling arguements to convince me to accept pension theft, working for nothing ,pay cut etc. Feel free to try ,but to be honest I'm not swayed yet.
meweavy
Posts: 473
Joined: 10 May 2007, 11:07

Post by meweavy »

heres the mind set of some of the public,it makes for interesting reading..

i swear how many posties do these people see in the mornings..do they think that tnt,uk mail dhl all have posties..

"I am still getting post by other companies and they are just as good. This is a no win situation and at the end of the day the real people who will loose out will be the customers who will have to pay more for a service which never seems to improve. This could be the beginning of the end for Royal Mail.

Nigel, Exeter.

makes youre teeth itch.this guy needs to go to specsavers he,s obviously seeing posties everywhere if he thinks that all the other firms deliver aswell.
meweavy
Posts: 473
Joined: 10 May 2007, 11:07

Post by meweavy »

heres another one
"The royal mail union have cut off their noses to spite their face with this one.

More business lost. My company has just today said enough is enough - we have switched to another postal service.

How can the unions be serving their members like this? When this is all over, royal mail are going to have to lay off hundreds of jobs.

Mail workers aren't thinking for themselves either - they seem to have been drummed up into voting for strikes like a troupe of monkeys in a blood fest. Crazy.

Bernard Eckham, Derby, UK

do you think they will notice that tnt havent delivered their mail today because royal mail are on strike...

doh i wonder why that is..
meweavy
Posts: 473
Joined: 10 May 2007, 11:07

Post by meweavy »

and this one..

what a cock..

Sack the lot of them. When they are at work, they're either losing or stealing my post anyway.

There's enough East European workers who can take their place.

Sir Jeebus, London
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72744
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Rich wrote:The points about job losses due to new machinery wont convince everyone. From the outside looking in, many will think it's a shame, but from a business point of view cuts have to be made where they can.

Also complaining about having to work over.... lots of people have to do that in their jobs and have to accept the shafting.
Yes but not to get paid for it under the annualised hours they want to bring in how many have that.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
frankie

Post by frankie »

Rich wrote:The points about job losses due to new machinery wont convince everyone. From the outside looking in, many will think it's a shame, but from a business point of view cuts have to be made where they can.

Also complaining about having to work over.... lots of people have to do that in their jobs and have to accept the shafting.
:silenced
Last edited by frankie on 19 Oct 2007, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
PiersKittel
Posts: 4
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 14:03

Post by PiersKittel »

Sometimes when I talk to people, they moan about the strike, like you all know. I try to explain, but I don't have all the answers, often forget the important points and I'm not good at explaining stuff... is there some single sided A4 sheet I can use to print out to give out to people when they complain to me? So I don't have to look like a numptie when I try to explain and fail to do a good job!

Cheers for any help!
kanuuuuuu
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 15:01

Post by kanuuuuuu »

"You try explaining to customers," sorry love," it's Royal Mail's modernisation programme, as you hand over their mail, 2hrs later!!!"



Then theyll complain that "the postmen are so lazy now because we get out mail later and later". - Its Royal Mails own policies that have made the later deliveries yet we get the blame !!!!
Rich
Posts: 10
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 18:19
Location: oop norf

Post by Rich »

I'm not stating my opinions. I'm just following the theme of lack of public support and some typical responses. People get shafted in work all the time and just bend over and take it.
Rich
Posts: 10
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 18:19
Location: oop norf

Post by Rich »

I'd not noticed the second page and the firther replies.

Let me make this clear (I thought it was)... the thread is about lack of public support/knowledge. I've seen a fair amount of it myself such as the comments I quoted earlier in my first post on this thread.

I'm in a similar situation to Piers where when asked I often struggle to get the point across. Door to door issues and having the pension plan tend to make an impact. Later deliveries which effect the customers also do.

But in general when you're complaining about flexibility and modernisation (machines) people wont be too sympathetic.
waffler
Posts: 149
Joined: 27 May 2007, 22:11
Location: South East

Post by waffler »

Had a lot of the customers asking about it all thursday morning, wasn't too hard to sway them particuarly as their local post office is for the chop. Don't rise to Rich ladies and gentlemen we are 'managed' by people like him. . . . . :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
YOU DON'T GET ME I'M PART OF THE UNION
The Strawbs 1973
IWW Fellow Worker
Posts: 3644
Joined: 30 May 2007, 14:27
Gender: Male

Post by IWW Fellow Worker »

waffler wrote:Had a lot of the customers asking about it all thursday morning, wasn't too hard to sway them particuarly as their local post office is for the chop. Don't rise to Rich ladies and gentlemen we are 'managed' by people like him. . . . . :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
I hate the rich:

Image
The Industrial Workers of the World. The union whose members never scab!

"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Post by dvbuk55 »

Rich wrote:I'm not stating my opinions. I'm just following the theme of lack of public support and some typical responses. People get shafted in work all the time and just bend over and take it.
Yes, I think they call them rent boys or managers!
Ex RM Manager
Posts: 107
Joined: 25 Sep 2007, 22:07

Post by Ex RM Manager »

I wouldn't say 99% of the public support the strike. A LOT of the General Public can only see the after effects of the strike : they don't get their post, and therefore it's the fault of the striking postie. Also there are very few national strikes these days, so public perception is that the strikers are very old fashioned.

That point of view is one I do not share so don't jump on me and don't shoot the messenger.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Post by baldrick »

Was on the picket line yesterday and most people driving or walking past seemed to support us, tooting horns, or stopping to wish us good luck. Actually seemed to be more than on the first round of strikes, so perhaps it is getting across that it is more than just about money. A lot of people are getting shafted at work and I think they are glad to see that some people are fighting back.
Only had one idiot who asked me what was going on and when I told him we were on strike and gave him a leaflet, threw it on the ground and said 'why weren't you on strike under Maggie'. He walked off before I could explain what it is about, and that we had been on strike during the Thatcher years.
I think he might have been a Tory (or New Labour), but to judge by the state of him I think he was a benefit recipient who was upset about having to go to the DSS office to collect his giro. Sad.