ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

swpostie wrote:I've suffered from this and it's very painful.

I bought a pair of these:

http://www.aircast.com/index.asp/fuseac ... at/1/id/99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're not cheap but brought instant relief - money well spent when you consider how much you rely on your feet.

Also it's worth getting some decent insoles for your shoes - sorbothane or something like that.

http://www.specialistsocks.co.uk/m24/So ... _info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by DGP1 »

I had to go to the physio today and it turns out that I'm suffering from plantar fasciitis, I now have a list of exercises to do to help it :sad: with the damage those effing Magnums have caused.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by Thunderthighs »

I had fitted inserts, for PF and Metatarsalagia, via GP and hospital with specialist section. Almost instant relief, but they do squash down after a while.
It flares up occasionally then settles. Probably it will be in my foot forever, but I didn't have it before long deliveries/walk.
Two sets of inserts almost knackered, and "space foam" inserts are nowhere near as good, but £1 in Matalan.

Get your GP to refer you asap.
madelin4
Posts: 1220
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:56

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by madelin4 »

DGP1 wrote:I had to go to the physio today and it turns out that I'm suffering from plantar fasciitis, I now have a list of exercises to do to help it :sad: with the damage those effing Magnums have caused.
I left with PF Disgruntle :Very Happy
I
johnsouthwales
Posts: 833
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by johnsouthwales »

well, nearly 4 years since my foot injury came to light, i had an appointment with the specialist at hospital last week, and after pressing my foot with hand and letting out some pain yelp, he says he doesn't know what is causing it.

no injections, no pain killers.

funny how the physiotherapist mentioned plantar fascilitis to me about a year ago.. the physio does not get back to the consultant.

who says the nhs is the envy of the world.

they say never gho onto the internet to do self diagnosos. i had to because no sod was coming up with answers.
it looks like the spur on my achilles was caused by the plantar fascilitis (not the other way around as i thought).. according to medical site, this is what happens. but there is a flaw. no way was my foot that bad when i first discovered the spur.

anyway, plantar fascilitis is treated with injections which carry a big risk of rupturing the tendon. the plantar fascilitis has further induced sciatica in the same leg. unless the sciatica had already existed in 2006 causing the weakness that induced the spur.

nhs negligence?
and here comes avi cohen! oh i say! at the same end, he's got one back!!
Postbot
Posts: 31
Joined: 21 Oct 2009, 21:29
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by Postbot »

I had Metatarsalagia few years ago was off for 21 days, got sent to ATOS and they recognised the condition and it was classed as work related due to lots of turning with terrace hse walk, had no problems initially with the time off was discounted in relation to stage etc. Then I had 1 day off 11 months later as I fell up the stairs carrying pack of tiles squashing finger between pack and stairs and finger swelled right up, I was called in as usual to fill in sick form etc they revisited my 21 days off 11 months previous and counted it as 22 days off and I got a stage!!

I like others have found tighter laced shoes to aid greatly along with recognising the initial feeling earlier and slow down my walking speed as I feel it , also suffered from shin splints in this job too again recognising and adjusting as I feel it coming on again to nip it in the bud, takes it's bleeding toll on you this job despite what some think it aint easy :cfo
johnsouthwales
Posts: 833
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by johnsouthwales »

i was getting pain as soon as my ball joint was touching the floor. it has improved a bit since wearing the insoles, but mainly because having the bike to take walking pressure off. if it wasn't for the bike, i'd still be in the original position.

yes, i agree the strenuous walking of RM is a factor. doctors had the cheek to say to me they doubt if on feet all day and lots of walking is the cause of my foot
and here comes avi cohen! oh i say! at the same end, he's got one back!!
bandit650
Posts: 880
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:42
Gender: Female

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by bandit650 »

Just like to say thanks to all that have put info about this condition on here,we have a number of people suffering this condition in the office that i am based at so i can now pass on the 2 sites that have been hi-lighted so they can get some extra support for themselves,all the staff that are involved in this have been through GP and hospital so every little bit of extra info helps them to get through this painfall condition. :Applause
montriff
Posts: 243
Joined: 24 Feb 2009, 17:37
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by montriff »

DGP1 wrote:I had to go to the physio today and it turns out that I'm suffering from plantar fasciitis, I now have a list of exercises to do to help it :sad: with the damage those effing Magnums have caused.
i could be just a coincidence but i never had any problems with my feet until i started wearing those "effing Magnums " as well
johnsouthwales
Posts: 833
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 19:07
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by johnsouthwales »

any updates since? i know it's gone pretty quiet on the subject since, but has it gone away or just not talked about anymore or people nit suffering anymore.
are gp's mixing up flantar fash with tarsal tunnel syndrome? i was suprised when i discovered the similarities and wondered why i never heard of it before.
why are gp's so quick to diagnose PF and not look into TTS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsal_tunnel_syndrome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here comes avi cohen! oh i say! at the same end, he's got one back!!
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by Stormproof »

I'm sure the Cat Trainers are causing all my ankle/foot problems. There appears to be no support in them. My big toe joint and my ankle are agony most of the time.......but there again have a f****d knees probably don't help :cuppa Anyone elses ankle swell up like this?
Image
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by crazyshrew »

Interesting that some people are blaming the Magnums, i started out with the cats and every step was agony no matter what kind of fancy insole i stuck in there, switched to to the Magnum boots and have been pain free ever since
bandit650
Posts: 880
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:42
Gender: Female

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by bandit650 »

Stormproof wrote:I'm sure the Cat Trainers are causing all my ankle/foot problems. There appears to be no support in them. My big toe joint and my ankle are agony most of the time.......but there again have a f****d knees probably don't help :cuppa Anyone elses ankle swell up like this?
Image
The doc said that my foot problem was because the trainer has no support for the foot and said that they were totally unsuitable for the type of work we do on delivery,i have a knee problem,ankle problem and Planter Fasiitis in my left foot,i now have to have a support for the heel of my left foot £30 every 3 months i have to pay out for the supports for my footwear,this is just so i can do my job.
Jimbobb
Posts: 37
Joined: 18 Mar 2013, 16:56
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by Jimbobb »

Have had this in both feet about six months apart,had a cortisone injection after two weeks with first one pretty much cured straight away.With the second one didnt mess about just got the cortisone straight away cured it again,this is about four years ago now and I haven't had a problem since(touch wood) but I wouldn't hesitate to have it done again should it ever return,and I can honestly say the injection doesn't hurt that much.
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: just wondering about plantar fasiitis?

Post by Kings Norton »

I hear people on here calling Royal Mail footwear Doc Martins are one of the best shoes on the market, agree about the Cat trainers rubbish, wear the Docs they are good for your feet.