ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ipswich_jail ... _1_2261868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation after stealing from Royal Mail


A postman who was jailed for stealing from Royal Mail has been ordered to pay a £50,000 court order.

Green, 54, of Prittlewell Close, Ipswich, had denied stealing £975 from Royal Mail and converting criminal property and was found guilty of both offences after a trial at Ipswich Crown Court in March.

The court heard that Green, who had worked for Royal Mail for more than 20 years, stole £975 which had been planted in a test package by suspicious Royal Mail staff in August 2010.

At a confiscation hearing under the Proceeds of Crime Act, Adrian Chaplin, prosecuting, said Green’s benefit from his offending was £43,449, which was a civil debt that could be recouped from Green’s Royal Mail pension.

He also asked the court for £6,550 costs.

Judge John Devaux made a confiscation order in the sum of £43,449 to be paid as compensation to Royal Mail and a costs order of £6,550.

During his trial Green told the court that it was not in his nature to be dishonest and that even if he had been tempted to steal mail he would not have done so under the nose of Royal Mail investigators.

Green denied that £500 worth of Mauritian rupees which had been exchanged in 2009, and paid into his father’s bank account over which he had power of attorney, had come from a special delivery package that was never received by a customer.

Green’s sister told the court she had sent the money over for her father after she was forced to cancel a holiday.

The court was told a test package, containing £975, had been taken to Ipswich sorting office where Green was working. Green took it to a walk-in safe and when he came out it appeared the envelope had been tampered with. When the envelope was examined the money had gone.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

That's what I call being punished. £50 grand :shock:
Wonder how they got that figure?
Still, should make others think again. And again.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by DGP1 »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:That's what I call being punished. £50 grand :shock:
Wonder how they got that figure?
Still, should make others think again. And again.
No it wont because the people who will steal don't think they'll get caught.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

DGP1 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:That's what I call being punished. £50 grand :shock:
Wonder how they got that figure?
Still, should make others think again. And again.
No it wont because the people who will steal don't think they'll get caught.
I was referring more to the opportunist rather than the hardened criminal types.
But, you're probably right. They'll be too stupid to think they'll get caught.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by DGP1 »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:That's what I call being punished. £50 grand :shock:
Wonder how they got that figure?
Still, should make others think again. And again.
No it wont because the people who will steal don't think they'll get caught.
I was referring more to the opportunist rather than the hardened criminal types.
But, you're probably right. They'll be too stupid to think they'll get caught.
And that's why most of them go into banking :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

DGP1 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:That's what I call being punished. £50 grand :shock:
Wonder how they got that figure?
Still, should make others think again. And again.
No it wont because the people who will steal don't think they'll get caught.
I was referring more to the opportunist rather than the hardened criminal types.
But, you're probably right. They'll be too stupid to think they'll get caught.
And that's why most of them go into banking :nervous
But the bankers don't get punished. We end up paying for their rather horrendous mistakes. :shock:
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by fishtank »

At a confiscation hearing under the Proceeds of Crime Act, Adrian Chaplin, prosecuting, said Green’s benefit from his offending was £43,449, which was a civil debt that could be recouped from Green’s Royal Mail pension.
Not sure if that'll stick if he's married.
Technically, as anybody who's been near the divorce courts will tell you :nervous ...half his pension belongs to his missus.
If he is married and she dumps him now her lawyers will freeze those pension assets before you can say grounds for divorce.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Ipswich: Jailed postman must pay compensation

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

fishtank wrote:
At a confiscation hearing under the Proceeds of Crime Act, Adrian Chaplin, prosecuting, said Green’s benefit from his offending was £43,449, which was a civil debt that could be recouped from Green’s Royal Mail pension.
Not sure if that'll stick if he's married.
Technically, as anybody who's been near the divorce courts will tell you :nervous ...half his pension belongs to his missus.
If he is married and she dumps him now her lawyers will freeze those pension assets before you can say grounds for divorce.
Might be a good time for his wife to 'leave him'..... :whistle
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.