ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Covert Surveillance Can Be Used As Evidence Against An Employee

http://www.morton-fraser.com/blog/emplo ... yee#page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I blogged previously on the decision in Vaughan v London Borough of Lewisham in which the EAT (the "Employment Appeal Tribunal") held that secret recordings can be used in evidence against employers during Employment Tribunal proceedings.

It is not just employees though that can use covert recordings. The EAT have confirmed that employers can using covert surveillance in appropriate circumstances. In City and County of Swansea v Gayle, Mr Gayle was dismissed after his employer covertly obtained video evidence of him at a sports centre when he should have been at work. The EAT took into account the fact that the surveillance was taken in a public place and held that a fraudster could have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Ultimately when an employee is being paid by their employer to work, they can have no reasonable expectation that they can keep private from their employer where they are or what they are doing.

In making this decision the EAT overturned the decision of the Employment Tribunal that Mr Gayle had been unfairly dismissed. The EAT also found that Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights (the right to respect of private and family life) and the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 had not been breached.

It should be noted though that this decision does not mean that covert surveillance as part of a disciplinary investigation will always be reasonable or appropriate. Any such surveillance will very much be the exception rather than the norm.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Thin end of wedge. :shock:
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by Sidley »

So can we film the twats, oops, sorry, I mean managers, being twats?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Sidley wrote:So can we film the twats, oops, sorry, I mean managers, being twats?
Technically. But it would probably be deemed inadmissible in relation to a case against a manager.....
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by Sidley »

Even at an ET?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Sidley wrote:Even at an ET?
Believe so yes. Secret recordings have been used in the past.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Covert Surveillance Can Be Used Against An Employee

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You shouldn't covertly record any meeting without permission, but if you do the recording can only be used at an ET if it provides new evidence that cannot be presented in any other way.

At least thats the way I read it, I may be wrong.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.