ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Early starters

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mailman71
Posts: 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03

Re: Early starters

Post by mailman71 »

They are not insured for coming in early and by law your Dom should get on to them but he won't.
bigal383
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 492
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

Re: Early starters

Post by bigal383 »

have you ever thought these early starters need to start early to release the pressure off themselves to not knowing the frame as the full timers do, can see where your comming from but there not doing it for royalmail there doing it for themselves gives them a chance to learn the frame etc
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Early starters

Post by k979aaa »

bigal383 wrote:have you ever thought these early starters need to start early to release the pressure off themselves to not knowing the frame as the full timers do, can see where your comming from but there not doing it for royalmail there doing it for themselves gives them a chance to learn the frame etc
Bull I don't know how the tins bottles and packages get on the shelf's of Tesco's Sainsbury's Asda or Morrison's but I bet they do not come in before they get paid this behaviour must stop the only gainers are the Managers and Bosses of royal mail and their bonuses show it.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Early starters

Post by OnAFlyer »

eastie wrote:when I walf through the door at 6.15am out of 30 at my office I would say about 20 have started at least 20 to even 60 minutes early.
Harry Hill our area manager comes in about 12noon and sees all the early starter/runners coming back and then wants us to do lapsing .
They are cutting their own throats but telling them is a waste of time
Harry Hill....sounds like you've got the same area manager as us.

We merged with another office recently and when I walk in even their CWU rep has all his walk thrown in before his start time, ours would never do that.

Then unbelievably they moan about their walks being too long. :wink:

I do understand why some people come in early though, some in our office are slow on both prep and delivery and don't want the hassle of being walk tested.
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Early starters

Post by SF »

I found this in the archives in the career section of The Independent and it made me chuckle.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/ca ... 84272.html
What's your working schedule?

I start work at 5.30am, although officially work starts at 6am. I sort my mail first, according to the exact order in which the streets are arranged, so that later I won't have to search for a particular letter or parcel. I have my customary cup of coffee, and then at around 6.30am I do some general sorting. My delivery round starts when we've finished sorting, depending on how much mail there is – usually 9am to 10.30am. Most postmen finish by 2.30pm, but I often don't finish work until 4pm as I have a very heavy round, and want to make sure every last parcel has been delivered. Then I head home and doze off in front of the television.
:arrrghhh
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Early starters

Post by SF »

In fact the whole article is funny.
What's not so great about it?

Barking dogs can be very unpleasant, and there are certain buildings where I have to lock up my trolley. I've had it stolen three times. The third time the police caught the people who'd stolen it – but as they were being arrested there was a violent scuffle, and I had to intervene to help one of the officers. I was recommended for a bravery award after that, but I felt I was just doing my job. I feel responsible when people's property is stolen.
What skills do you need to be a great postman?

You need dedication, patience and social skills – it's all about public service. Sometimes I have to work beyond my actual finishing time, and my patience can wear thin when I'm out on my round and someone spots me and keeps asking whether I have a letter for him. Not every postman is that sociable – some just want to get on with the job and won't give anyone a whiff of a smile. We're trained in how to sort letters and parcels, and how to write delivery cards if someone is out.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Early starters

Post by k979aaa »

SF wrote:In fact the whole article is funny.
What's not so great about it?

Barking dogs can be very unpleasant, and there are certain buildings where I have to lock up my trolley. I've had it stolen three times. The third time the police caught the people who'd stolen it – but as they were being arrested there was a violent scuffle, and I had to intervene to help one of the officers. I was recommended for a bravery award after that, but I felt I was just doing my job. I feel responsible when people's property is stolen.
What skills do you need to be a great postman?

You need dedication, patience and social skills – it's all about public service. Sometimes I have to work beyond my actual finishing time, and my patience can wear thin when I'm out on my round and someone spots me and keeps asking whether I have a letter for him. Not every postman is that sociable – some just want to get on with the job and won't give anyone a whiff of a smile. We're trained in how to sort letters and parcels, and how to write delivery cards if someone is out.
I would suggest this is a journalist as such not having to do this for 20/30 or40 years is a god send too them (WORK) and a life sentence too us all in this institution (WORKHOUSE)!. It can only get worse for all with these Muppets in charge!.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Early starters

Post by dvbuk55 »

SF wrote:What skills do you need to be a great postman?

You need dedication, patience and social skills – it's all about public service. Sometimes I have to work beyond my actual finishing time, and my patience can wear thin when I'm out on my round and someone spots me and keeps asking whether I have a letter for him. Not every postman is that sociable – some just want to get on with the job and won't give anyone a whiff of a smile. We're trained in how to sort letters and parcels, and how to write delivery cards if someone is out.

:hmmmm You need all those skills to be a great postman? - well luckily I'm quite happy to be average merely because the pay is the same :chuckle
liamlayor
Posts: 82
Joined: 17 Mar 2010, 10:42
Gender: Male

Re: Early starters

Post by liamlayor »

Shouldn't this read
What PILLS do you need to be a great postman?

You need MEDICATION, PROZAC and SEROQUEL.. .– it's all about antidepressants!
??? :crazy:
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: Early starters

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

bigal383 wrote:have you ever thought these early starters need to start early to release the pressure off themselves to not knowing the frame as the full timers do, can see where your comming from but there not doing it for royalmail there doing it for themselves gives them a chance to learn the frame etc
There may be one or two people who fall into this category but even then they are cutting their own throats and letting management off the hook. If you are put onto a walk you do not know, it is NOT up to you to come in early and learn the fitting in your own time. You should be clear with your manager that you do not know the fitting/walk and it is up to them to find a solution whether it be prep assistance or have someone who knows the walk do that duty instead. You should always start work at the correct time and be clear that you will not be working in excess of the hours you are paid for.

In my office most of the early starters are actually ones who have been on the same walks for years so the argument they do it because they don't know the fitting is nonsense. They do it because all they care about is getting around their delivery as fast as possible so they can go home early. It is selfish. Pure and simple.
WHITEANT
Posts: 312
Joined: 17 May 2009, 23:02
Gender: Male

Re: Early starters

Post by WHITEANT »

I have been doing the same delivery for a long long time ,when im off or on holiday the other guys ,come in early,dont take a break we all know these guys .I claim overtime most days so when ive been on hols the DO will normally say the other guys don't claim overtime .So all I say is bring me,other guys,union rep into office and we will find out how these boys can get round so quick and I may possibly learn where im going wrong !!!!. But I said I would ask them do they wear there seatbelts at all time, have there break ,lock there van ,don't read mail while walking and driving, needless to say they never take me up on this .