ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What makes a good Postie?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: What makes a good Postie?

Post by 2pints »

Only been doing the job 6 weeks so i am hardly an expert however i think i have the makings of a good postman.I believe it all comes down to your attitude.The way some postmen speak to customers is disgusting,if a customer has a valid issue and tries to raise it with you i think we should listen and be polite and sympathetic,unlike my "trainer" who simply carry's on walking and says "ring office love" :d'oh!

So good customer service is a massive part of it,the rest is simply learning the process's and concentrating when in the office in the AM,getting it right then so you can have a smooth walk.I can see why some people struggle to be sympathetic to customers when some of them really are damn rude,but i find that the best thing to do when a customer is being rude is to give them your best smile and say whatever you think they want to hear you say,even if you think they are full of crap.99% of the time it works wonders..you can walk away knowing you fooled them basically but at least they will not be as angry and are less likely to complain.

Other thing i do is keep my head down at the office and do not get too involved in any rumors etc.I come in on time,sometimes finish 20-30 mins early but never get asked to go back out,have said yes once to overtime and no once,i have 2 kids so i always have a good excuse should i feel i need one :nana

I love the job so far though,if you have the right approach it really is a great job,i have had alot over the years and this one is my favourite.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: What makes a good Postie?

Post by wiganpostie »

2pints wrote: I love the job so far though,if you have the right approach it really is a great job,i have had alot over the years and this one is my favourite.
You're six weeks in - wait a while. I also remember starting and thinking it was a great job, and wondering why everyone was complaining.
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: What makes a good Postie?

Post by jw1234 »

wiganpostie wrote:
2pints wrote: I love the job so far though,if you have the right approach it really is a great job,i have had alot over the years and this one is my favourite.
You're six weeks in - wait a while. I also remember starting and thinking it was a great job, and wondering why everyone was complaining.
Same here. Now its a weekly battle to get the overtime I do, harassment when you are off ill, being expected to come in early and run if your partner does it, changing rounds every day, going to different offices in areas I do not know.

It could be a good job, but at this present time for the majority its terrible. Us part-timers get shafted especially hard.