ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Staff who come in early

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ossie From Preston
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Ossie From Preston »

zx135 wrote:
Ossie From Preston wrote:Table 2 tells you that one first aider must be present. I would say most offices are Higher Hazard.


http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg214.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Machines?

well going by that page, if less than 25 no first aider suggested to be required in low hazard, and in high hazard no first aider required if less than 5, what do you think makes a delivery office a higher hazard risk?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by fishtank »

Machines?
In some delivery offices but not many and those that come in early are not going to be operating any machines unless you mean the coffee machine.
I would imagine MPUs and mailcentres have a tighter first aid regime.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Ossie From Preston
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Ossie From Preston »

fishtank wrote:
Machines?
Sequence machines quite a lot of delivery office has them...



In some delivery offices but not many and those that come in early are not going to be operating any machines unless you mean the coffee machine.
I would imagine MPUs and mailcentres have a tighter first aid regime.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Postie45 »

Barbel wrote:I was asked if I wanted to start at 7, as opposed to my start time at 8(and claim OT) as I'm covering a round I've never done before and it's a bit of a nightmare, mainly house names, caravan parks in the middle of nowhere and a construction site where they're still building and no street name as yet. I chose not to start at 7 and came in at 8, my frame was only half prepped then I had to do D2D's so I didn't get out until 9.30. I didn't finish until 2.30 and ended up bringing a bundle of post back as I couldn't find some address' and that was on a light day! I'm tempted to go in early tomorrow as it's probably going to be really heavy and I don't fancy being out until gone 3. If I do get in at 8 no doubt my frame won't have been touched and I'll be getting out late again. Even a customer came out asked how I was getting on and that Steve had told them he was on holiday and that 'I'd have trouble' Decisions decisions! :nervous
they shouldnt have even put you on this duty if they knew the problems regarding you not knowing the walk. However, the fact is you are on this duty and the managers will have to expect that theres a high likelihood you wont be completing and should be taking measures to get this delivery complete.
Make sure you tell your manager before you leave the office if you dont think you`ll complete (or before that if its clear you wont complete)
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by DB1100 »

I'm the only first aider at our place and I am part time,most people are tying up by the time I get there,well over 50 people work there.
For we were soldiers once,and young
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by BingBong »

north london driver wrote:dont know why you put this on at this time most staff are now at work.
there had their tea and sorted there first lot of mech by now.
anyway i better go now or i will be late.
alot of people have the day off too...
Toon Army!
pokos27
Posts: 657
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by pokos27 »

its looking good for when it goes private, free labour costs
britwrit
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 968
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by britwrit »

fishtank wrote:
Machines?
In some delivery offices but not many and those that come in early are not going to be operating any machines unless you mean the coffee machine.
I would imagine MPUs and mailcentres have a tighter first aid regime.

At HWDC, no matter what time, there's always first aiders about. (Being a first-aider means you have a good shot at usually getting overtime but I wouldn't want the responsibility.)
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

Sherpas Rule wrote:Management in our office use lapsing as an incentive to the early starters with the promise that "as long as you take your lapsing and all your duty you can leave when you get back". So you have everyone rushing around to get back and leave a whopping 20 minutes early. Clowns.
Sometimes in our office the early starters will come in as usual well before their start times. They will then race around to do their own duty and their flex. Then they get back early only to find managers are holding everyone to time and they get sent on the IPS. Only a clown would come in early.
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by NWpostie »

Sherpas Rule wrote:Management in our office use lapsing as an incentive to the early starters with the promise that "as long as you take your lapsing and all your duty you can leave when you get back". So you have everyone rushing around to get back and leave a whopping 20 minutes early. Clowns.

Time and motion by stealth
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Cedar_Room »

Saturdays are best.

I start at 7,pull into the car park about 6.55 & there are cars everywhere,grass verges,the lot.

Not like that from Mon - Fri though. :cuppa
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

There are some in my office who work the night shift in the mail centre before going out on their deliveries. They spend all night prepping their walks in their breaks and come the official start of their duties they are all in and then spend the next two hours coming around to the IPS every 2 minutes to box off 4 or 5 letters. What is the point??

They then have tied up shortly after the IPS has finished while everyone who starts at the correct time is still prepping in their sequenced mail. They then bolt out of the door at 8.30am and miss a whole lot of missorts. If this is not wilful delay then what is?

The most depressing thing about all of this is that neither management nor the union does anything about stopping people coming in early.
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by spoodoo »

Our Dom says he can't stop ppl coming in Early ,,,erm lock the doors
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by clashcityrocker »

spoodoo wrote:Our Dom says he can't stop ppl coming in Early ,,,erm lock the doors
It would seem reasonable to request that people do not come in early.
Failure to comply with a reasonable request is a conduct code offence with possible dismissal.

If one of the early starters has to be sacrificed for the education of the masses - so be it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by NWpostie »

clashcityrocker wrote:
spoodoo wrote:Our Dom says he can't stop ppl coming in Early ,,,erm lock the doors
It would seem reasonable to request that people do not come in early.
Failure to comply with a reasonable request is a conduct code offence with possible dismissal.

If one of the early starters has to be sacrificed for the education of the masses - so be it.

[cynical mode ON] Not going to happen because in spite of best intentions from the head sheds on the ground it would be very different in application. [/cynical mode OFF]
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.