ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Staff who come in early

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hans solo
Posts: 3291
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by hans solo »

yes in west of scotland mgmt turn blind eye to chosen few who come in early to finish early
while rest work their hours cwu are aware of it but also choose to ignore :Boo hoo!
Pokermon
Posts: 106
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Pokermon »

union rep is one of the first in

says it all really
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by wiganpostie »

steven100 wrote:In our office we pay a few people to come in a couple of hours early to sort the mail up. This is done so we can lapse more. This should be stopped too.
A couple of the lino's favourites used to get paid to come in early and sort, but that's gone now. They didn't always get paid to do it, though, and one of them used to come in some days and sort, unpaid, before his time :crazy:
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Barbel »

I was asked if I wanted to start at 7, as opposed to my start time at 8(and claim OT) as I'm covering a round I've never done before and it's a bit of a nightmare, mainly house names, caravan parks in the middle of nowhere and a construction site where they're still building and no street name as yet. I chose not to start at 7 and came in at 8, my frame was only half prepped then I had to do D2D's so I didn't get out until 9.30. I didn't finish until 2.30 and ended up bringing a bundle of post back as I couldn't find some address' and that was on a light day! I'm tempted to go in early tomorrow as it's probably going to be really heavy and I don't fancy being out until gone 3. If I do get in at 8 no doubt my frame won't have been touched and I'll be getting out late again. Even a customer came out asked how I was getting on and that Steve had told them he was on holiday and that 'I'd have trouble' Decisions decisions! :nervous
Ossie From Preston
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Ossie From Preston »

Table 2 tells you that one first aider must be present. I would say most offices are Higher Hazard.


http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg214.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by fishtank »

Ossie From Preston wrote:Table 2 tells you that one first aider must be present.
Suggested numbers of first-aid personnel to be available at all times people are at work.

It's a legal compliance figure which gives guidance to employers on what would protect them from excessive damages but not a legal requirement that can be enforced by police or the HSE.

What can happen in situations like this is after an accident if an employer has either ignored guidance or failed to carry out a proper risk assessment then a civil action can be used to prosecute the employer and the costs awarded would be significantly higher but there is no legal obligation with respect to the numbers of first aiders.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Darren Bent »

It will be interesting to see the data over 3 months for a large delivery office to see how much work is done and how much is paid and how much Royal Mail saved or refused to pay overtime. Then we would see if we have work more than our pay or not.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Ossie From Preston wrote:Table 2 tells you that one first aider must be present. I would say most offices are Higher Hazard.


http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg214.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
well going by that page, if less than 25 no first aider suggested to be required in low hazard, and in high hazard no first aider required if less than 5, what do you think makes a delivery office a higher hazard risk?
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by spoodoo »

Question ,,,when you all started revision ,,did the come in earlies do the same on first day of revision and soon after? Please say noooo
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

spoodoo wrote:Question ,,,when you all started revision ,,did the come in earlies do the same on first day of revision and soon after? Please say noooo
Start times in our office have chopped and changed over the last few years including when delivery methods came in. Regardless of whether the start time is 6.00am, 6.30am, 7.00am, 7.30am or whatever other time it may be the early starters have still come in early. I don't understand why they do it and I don't think they understand the consequences of it.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by chrisj »

7.30 am start for Full Time staff on Tuesday but most are in by 6.15am or earlier. And a few part-timers are even there earlier...

Perhaps some are just so used to getting to work at 5.30 am and they find it hard to change but change they must.
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

Barbel wrote:I was asked if I wanted to start at 7, as opposed to my start time at 8(and claim OT) as I'm covering a round I've never done before and it's a bit of a nightmare, mainly house names, caravan parks in the middle of nowhere and a construction site where they're still building and no street name as yet. I chose not to start at 7 and came in at 8, my frame was only half prepped then I had to do D2D's so I didn't get out until 9.30. I didn't finish until 2.30 and ended up bringing a bundle of post back as I couldn't find some address' and that was on a light day! I'm tempted to go in early tomorrow as it's probably going to be really heavy and I don't fancy being out until gone 3. If I do get in at 8 no doubt my frame won't have been touched and I'll be getting out late again. Even a customer came out asked how I was getting on and that Steve had told them he was on holiday and that 'I'd have trouble' Decisions decisions! :nervous
You should come in at 8 with the expectation that the walk will be prepped and ready for you to take out. If that is not the case then you must tell your line manager immediately if you believe you will not be able to complete in the hours you are paid for. Take into consideration how much time it will take for you to finish prepping the walk and to tie up. If your line manager cannot ensure the walk is prepped in time for you coming in, then that is his/her problem and not yours. If you come in early you will not help yourself one bit.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by Barbel »

SierraOscarBravo wrote:
Barbel wrote:I was asked if I wanted to start at 7, as opposed to my start time at 8(and claim OT) as I'm covering a round I've never done before and it's a bit of a nightmare, mainly house names, caravan parks in the middle of nowhere and a construction site where they're still building and no street name as yet. I chose not to start at 7 and came in at 8, my frame was only half prepped then I had to do D2D's so I didn't get out until 9.30. I didn't finish until 2.30 and ended up bringing a bundle of post back as I couldn't find some address' and that was on a light day! I'm tempted to go in early tomorrow as it's probably going to be really heavy and I don't fancy being out until gone 3. If I do get in at 8 no doubt my frame won't have been touched and I'll be getting out late again. Even a customer came out asked how I was getting on and that Steve had told them he was on holiday and that 'I'd have trouble' Decisions decisions! :nervous
You should come in at 8 with the expectation that the walk will be prepped and ready for you to take out. If that is not the case then you must tell your line manager immediately if you believe you will not be able to complete in the hours you are paid for. Take into consideration how much time it will take for you to finish prepping the walk and to tie up. If your line manager cannot ensure the walk is prepped in time for you coming in, then that is his/her problem and not yours. If you come in early you will not help yourself one bit.
Yes you're right. I know I shouldn't feel guilty for bringing post back when I don't start until 8, have to prep a frame I don't know and don't get out until 9.30 or later, the deliver on a walk I don't know or haven't been shown.
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

Barbel wrote:
SierraOscarBravo wrote:
Barbel wrote:I was asked if I wanted to start at 7, as opposed to my start time at 8(and claim OT) as I'm covering a round I've never done before and it's a bit of a nightmare, mainly house names, caravan parks in the middle of nowhere and a construction site where they're still building and no street name as yet. I chose not to start at 7 and came in at 8, my frame was only half prepped then I had to do D2D's so I didn't get out until 9.30. I didn't finish until 2.30 and ended up bringing a bundle of post back as I couldn't find some address' and that was on a light day! I'm tempted to go in early tomorrow as it's probably going to be really heavy and I don't fancy being out until gone 3. If I do get in at 8 no doubt my frame won't have been touched and I'll be getting out late again. Even a customer came out asked how I was getting on and that Steve had told them he was on holiday and that 'I'd have trouble' Decisions decisions! :nervous
You should come in at 8 with the expectation that the walk will be prepped and ready for you to take out. If that is not the case then you must tell your line manager immediately if you believe you will not be able to complete in the hours you are paid for. Take into consideration how much time it will take for you to finish prepping the walk and to tie up. If your line manager cannot ensure the walk is prepped in time for you coming in, then that is his/her problem and not yours. If you come in early you will not help yourself one bit.
Yes you're right. I know I shouldn't feel guilty for bringing post back when I don't start until 8, have to prep a frame I don't know and don't get out until 9.30 or later, the deliver on a walk I don't know or haven't been shown.
Good stuff. Stick to your guns. Nobody should have to come in early. Have an extra hour in bed and remember if it is not ready by the time you get in see your line manager right away. Good luck!
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Staff who come in early

Post by DGP1 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
fishtank wrote:The only definitive legal requirements are a first aid box and an appointed person to maintain the first aid box.
Everything else is subject to a risk assessment and most delivery offices being short on dangerous machinery and relatively close to medical facilities will be low risk.

Mailcentres are usually a different scenario with the extra long breaks being a significant risk of self induced catatonia.
Don't forget they also get 10 minutes so that Grace can wake them all up, so that's covered. :speak to the hand :wink: :wink:
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle And you have a go at me when I bait them :nervous :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio