Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u ... 062013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ANGRY villagers in Derrington wrote a strongly worded letter to Royal Mail but had nowhere to post it after workmen took away their post box for repair and never returned it.
John Dyche of Long Lane in Derrington started a petition calling for the reinstatement of the post box outside his home after it was removed in October last year for repair and never returned.
“Residents were told the box was removed because the wooden post was rotten and needed to be replaced,” Mr Dyche told the Newsletter. “The argument was that they have got to get a new post.
“Well I can give them a post if they want one.
“It’s about a three quarter of a mile walk away to the next nearest post box, which is quite a walk for some of the village’s elderly residents,” he said.
“The post box was used regularly by local people as well as those making their way along the lane en-route to and from Stafford and the surrounding villages.
“There’s passing traffic going both ways that stopped regularly to use it.”
Mr Dyche said he had grown so frustrated waiting for the post box to return he had drawn a sign to hang on the wall featuring popular Second World War graffiti character Mr Chad whose appearance satirised the shortages experienced during the war - to highlight the missing box.
In April Mr Dyche sent a petition, containing the signatures of more than 60 concerned residents calling for the reinstatement of the post box and asking for an update on the situation, to the Stafford Royal Mail delivery office asking that it be sent on to the relevant people, but he said he had heard nothing in response.
A Royal Mail spokesman said they were still investigating the issue.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
Ofcom as our regulator should be contacted about this.
There is a limit of distance from which residents should be from their nearest box, I think about 500 yards, either way, I'm pretty certain it's less than 3/4 of a mile.
If RM can avoid putting the box back in, they will.
There is a limit of distance from which residents should be from their nearest box, I think about 500 yards, either way, I'm pretty certain it's less than 3/4 of a mile.
If RM can avoid putting the box back in, they will.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
The new proposed standard requires that 98% of all UK addresses should be within a half-mile straight line distance of a post box.UnhappyGremlin wrote:Ofcom as our regulator should be contacted about this.
There is a limit of distance from which residents should be from their nearest box, I think about 500 yards, either way, I'm pretty certain it's less than 3/4 of a mile.
If RM can avoid putting the box back in, they will.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
Would that be 'as the crow flies'? From the house door?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:The new proposed standard requires that 98% of all UK addresses should be within a half-mile straight line distance of a post box.UnhappyGremlin wrote:Ofcom as our regulator should be contacted about this.
There is a limit of distance from which residents should be from their nearest box, I think about 500 yards, either way, I'm pretty certain it's less than 3/4 of a mile.
If RM can avoid putting the box back in, they will.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
yes
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
We've had a similar "up our way" (i.e. on my walk) - sent an e-mail to RoyalMail.Com three weeks ago after various customers had asked me about it ...
... still waiting for a reply ...
... still waiting for a reply ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u ... 062013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A DERRINGTON postbox which was removed for repair and still had not returned six months later will be reinstated after villagers petitioned Royal Mail to put it back.
John Dyche of Long Lane contacted the Newsletter and sent a petition with more than 60 names he had collected calling for the return of the post box at Ellans Lea.
Royal Mail spokesman Val Bodden said it would be reinstated in the next couple of weeks.
A DERRINGTON postbox which was removed for repair and still had not returned six months later will be reinstated after villagers petitioned Royal Mail to put it back.
John Dyche of Long Lane contacted the Newsletter and sent a petition with more than 60 names he had collected calling for the return of the post box at Ellans Lea.
Royal Mail spokesman Val Bodden said it would be reinstated in the next couple of weeks.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
That's all right then, replaced before privatisation.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u ... 062013.htm
A DERRINGTON postbox which was removed for repair and still had not returned six months later will be reinstated after villagers petitioned Royal Mail to put it back.
John Dyche of Long Lane contacted the Newsletter and sent a petition with more than 60 names he had collected calling for the return of the post box at Ellans Lea.
Royal Mail spokesman Val Bodden said it would be reinstated in the next couple of weeks.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Derrington villagers' anger over missing post box saga
Bet it takes longer.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u ... 062013.htm
A DERRINGTON postbox which was removed for repair and still had not returned six months later will be reinstated after villagers petitioned Royal Mail to put it back.
John Dyche of Long Lane contacted the Newsletter and sent a petition with more than 60 names he had collected calling for the return of the post box at Ellans Lea.
Royal Mail spokesman Val Bodden said it would be reinstated in the next couple of weeks.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.