The point I was making was not about the higher income threshold but the fact that you can only apply your personal allowance to one job.
What that means is that if for example both jobs earn £15k with Job A you will pay 20% of approx £5k(pay minus allowance) but on Job B you will pay 20% of the whole £15k.
Ultimately you are only paying the same tax as someone earning £30k but It can be a bit of a shock to the system to see the majority disappear from one wage..
Pensioners who choose to continue working face a similar issue.
fishtank wrote:The point I was making was not about the higher income threshold but the fact that you can only apply your personal allowance to one job.
What that means is that if for example both jobs earn £15k with Job A you will pay 20% of approx £5k(pay minus allowance) but on Job B you will pay 20% of the whole £15k.
Ultimately you are only paying the same tax as someone earning £30k but It can be a bit of a shock to the system to see the majority disappear from one wage..
Pensioners who choose to continue working face a similar issue.
Yes it can be a shock, but its probably the fairest system
as for pensioners still working not got a great deal of sympathy with them I am afraid (obviously some exceptions)
These replies have all been really helpful and the reply to the 11am finish made me giggle....yeah I remember those days, leave the office at 6.45 to start delivering by 7, back for 0945, sorting for 30 mins, second delivery covering 2 deliveries and not delivering to anything new, which usually meant anything newer than Stonehenge!!
Anyway, I've started training to be a driving instructor, that's what made me ask about another job. It'll be working for myself, albeit with a driving school franchise called KISS IT. Keep It Simple Systems Instructor Training.
UnhappyGremlin wrote:Yes the tax bands have dropped so the working class can pay for this and previous Governments cock ups.
the 0- 32010 does not take into account any Personal Allowance you may be entitled to, which for most workers is currently £9440.
So therefore the tax bracket of 40% does not kick in until you earn over £41451. ( which is a very small drop from the previous tax year)
EG 0-9940 No tax
9940 -41450 20 % tax
41451 and above 40% tax
hope that is clear
It is clear. But they have dropped. Which was the point I was making. The 40% tax band is now lower on 2 years ago by about £3000.
Quite right Gremlin,
and I was n't being sarky with my post, I was doubting my own ability to explain clearly, rather than readers ability to understand.
Fair enough. I apologise if you thought I was having a go, was in a crap mood at the time and may have mistaken the meaning of your post.
Fishtank, am I right in thinking, even if you don't earn £9440 in your first job, then the remainder of your Personal Tax Allowance can't be applied to your second job?
Seems a bit harsh and punitive that.
UnhappyGremlin wrote:Yes the tax bands have dropped so the working class can pay for this and previous Governments cock ups.
the 0- 32010 does not take into account any Personal Allowance you may be entitled to, which for most workers is currently £9440.
So therefore the tax bracket of 40% does not kick in until you earn over £41451. ( which is a very small drop from the previous tax year)
EG 0-9940 No tax
9940 -41450 20 % tax
41451 and above 40% tax
hope that is clear
It is clear. But they have dropped. Which was the point I was making. The 40% tax band is now lower on 2 years ago by about £3000.
Quite right Gremlin,
and I was n't being sarky with my post, I was doubting my own ability to explain clearly, rather than readers ability to understand.
Fair enough. I apologise if you thought I was having a go, was in a crap mood at the time and may have mistaken the meaning of your post.
Fishtank, am I right in thinking, even if you don't earn £9440 in your first job, then the remainder of your Personal Tax Allowance can't be applied to your second job?
Seems a bit harsh and punitive that.
No worries,
and no you can still apply the remainder to your second job, although this will more likely result in a tax rebate after the tax year has ended rather than being applied at the time.
for income tax, it doesnt matter how many jobs you have. you are only entitled to 1 personal allowance in any tax year. you can ask hm revenue of taxes to split you're personal allowance between the jobs. but it would not alter youre overall tax bill. just means youre allowances would be distributed differently.
Kafinater wrote:Whats the ruling on having a second job, either full time or part time outside of RM?
I have 3... As foe telling RM it's fuckall to do with them
Yes it is something to do with them, like making sure they're paying the correct amount of tax on your behalf.
You should also take into account that, if, as they do every 6 months (or at least are supposed to) they ask you fill out a 'other work' declaration form, and you have said none, but they then discover that you do other work, you can and most likely will be disciplined, up to dismissal.
Kafinater wrote:Whats the ruling on having a second job, either full time or part time outside of RM?
I have 3... As foe telling RM it's fuckall to do with them
Yes it is something to do with them, like making sure they're paying the correct amount of tax on your behalf.
You should also take into account that, if, as they do every 6 months (or at least are supposed to) they ask you fill out a 'other work' declaration form, and you have said none, but they then discover that you do other work, you can and most likely will be disciplined, up to dismissal.
Il be overjoyed when RM start paying me a wage that covers all my needs....thus not needing another job,until then it has fuckall to do with them
Kafinater wrote:Whats the ruling on having a second job, either full time or part time outside of RM?
I have 3... As foe telling RM it's fuckall to do with them
Yes it is something to do with them, like making sure they're paying the correct amount of tax on your behalf.
You should also take into account that, if, as they do every 6 months (or at least are supposed to) they ask you fill out a 'other work' declaration form, and you have said none, but they then discover that you do other work, you can and most likely will be disciplined, up to dismissal.
Il be overjoyed when RM start paying me a wage that covers all my needs....thus not needing another job,until then it has fuckall to do with them
Kafinater wrote:Whats the ruling on having a second job, either full time or part time outside of RM?
I have 3... As foe telling RM it's fuckall to do with them
Yes it is something to do with them, like making sure they're paying the correct amount of tax on your behalf.
You should also take into account that, if, as they do every 6 months (or at least are supposed to) they ask you fill out a 'other work' declaration form, and you have said none, but they then discover that you do other work, you can and most likely will be disciplined, up to dismissal.
Il be overjoyed when RM start paying me a wage that covers all my needs....thus not needing another job,until then it has fuckall to do with them
If you had an accident while doing one of your other jobs and could not work would you expect RM to pay you sick pay even though you hadn't declared your other job?