ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by DGP1 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Coffin may be carried at waist level if there is a disparity in height, its more awkward though as the weight is all on one arm. The other solution is to have the 2 tallest at the rear, the next 2 tallest at the front, and the shortest pair in the middle. The height disparity unless its extreme is not so obvious.

On the suit - check with the Funeral Home, they may know a local tailor that rents suits, like Moss Bros.
Undertakers also have a wheeled trolley that can be used, ask them about the carry because they're the professionals and will know what to do.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by wiganpostie »

You should be ok, Jimmy, it tends to be the smallest guy who carries the brunt of the weight of the coffin, or at least that's how it felt to me when I was carrying my old man's casket, as I was the short arse of the bunch.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by Stormproof »

Sorry to hear your news Jimmy. Regarding suits I kitted one of my lads out for my dads funeral with a suit from TK Maxx it was £39 on there clearance rail. The other one got a nice suit from Asda for £50, but he looked smart and you'd never know it was a cheapie.

I had 3 days off paid for my dads funeral.

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if i'll get time off to attend Court and Coroners Court for my dad?
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by krussel »

Sorry to read this thread Jimmy as it sounds like your having one hell of a bad time at the Mo. :sad:

Hope your Kiddie is doing better.

Glad you have the 8 days leave to ease the stress and get things done. Your misses must be running on her nerves and is most likely sink like a stone when this is all over so be ready to catch her.

Cheap black suits are in Asda and the larger Tesco etc. Tbh no one really looks at the suits so cheaper the better.

Hope next week goes a bit better for you mate.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
cyberheater
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 274
Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 18:36
Gender: Male

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by cyberheater »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:And to prove how other places do things - the wifes headmaster just rang to say she can have 3 weeks paid leave, and if she needs longer, she needs a bereavement letter from her doc, but its totally fine if she does. And I get 1 day
Yet another reason to leave this shitty company. I'm going to be looking for a new job this year. RM sucks.
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

krussel wrote:Sorry to read this thread Jimmy as it sounds like your having one hell of a bad time at the Mo. :sad:

Hope your Kiddie is doing better.

Glad you have the 8 days leave to ease the stress and get things done. Your misses must be running on her nerves and is most likely sink like a stone when this is all over so be ready to catch her.

Cheap black suits are in Asda and the larger Tesco etc. Tbh no one really looks at the suits so cheaper the better.

Hope next week goes a bit better for you mate.
:thumbup

Good words there.

Peace
crammypostie1
Posts: 187
Joined: 31 Mar 2013, 21:45
Gender: Male
Location: Cumbria

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by crammypostie1 »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:Cheers guys - Had to order a suit out the catologue, yeah things are that bad at the minute. Kids home, needs 2 weeks of school though :roll:

Im on leave this week, and the funeral has landed next Monday, and I currently have no phone, im awaiting it to be fixed and ordered a sim card so I can use my daughters old iphone until its ready. So havent been intouch with work yet about the day off. I emailed the area rep who hasnt got back to me yet, but i`ll text him when I get my sim (hopefully today) - worst case i`ll ring work Friday, but I know what theyre like, they`ll have me owing days back, or swopping my day off and doing a different duty when I work that day or whatever - theyre very unsympathetic and unforgiving. The dom even came to work on the morning after his own dad had died at 1am!

Im hoping I can have the 2 days last week as "emergency childcare" with pay for exceptional cases, and then I can have the monday as my bereavement leave or whatever its called. But it`ll be better explained by my area rep than me - he`s close to the area manager, and what he says goes, so i`ll bide my time until approaching work myself.
You complained that when you go back work will be unsympathetic and put you on a different duty. Thats only fair. Floats etc should not be moved. I get sick of folk expecting to do something that they aint penciled in to do. Shouldnt it be that when u get asked to work your day off, your float should stay on his duty and the duty holder that comes in to work day off should be working overtime on whatever the office has to offer?

Anyway hope you get your funeral and bairn sorted
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by krussel »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:So, got an email from my area rep saying as far as he was concerned I classed as "urgent domestic distress" for the friday and saturday last week, and could have next monday as special leave, all 3 days with pay.

So I had to nip the bank, and decided to nip into work around midday to let them know I wouldnt be in work till Tuesday. I go in an all the managers have gone home already, so I told the locker woman to let them know tommorrow, and she says she will, but apparently I might not get paid - I asked why, and she said that when she was asked to send the hours off for the office on Saturday, my 2 days where down as special leave with no pay.

Jimmy try not to get too stressed out with this work situ. You need to be strong at home right now as your family needs a pillar to lean on. If you feel you need the same time off as your wife then make an apointment to see your GP and explain the situ. God knows you have it hitting from all sides at the moment. Explain how you feel and say your finding it hard to sleep due to the worry etc. You will be signed off with stress for at least a week so RM can stick it.

Your family comes first mate and the job can wait.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

What an absolute bunch of bastards
lobster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2
Joined: 16 May 2011, 17:06
Gender: Male

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by lobster »

krussel wrote:
Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:So, got an email from my area rep saying as far as he was concerned I classed as "urgent domestic distress" for the friday and saturday last week, and could have next monday as special leave, all 3 days with pay.

So I had to nip the bank, and decided to nip into work around midday to let them know I wouldnt be in work till Tuesday. I go in an all the managers have gone home already, so I told the locker woman to let them know tommorrow, and she says she will, but apparently I might not get paid - I asked why, and she said that when she was asked to send the hours off for the office on Saturday, my 2 days where down as special leave with no pay.

Jimmy try not to get too stressed out with this work situ. You need to be strong at home right now as your family needs a pillar to lean on. If you feel you need the same time off as your wife then make an apointment to see your GP and explain the situ. God knows you have it hitting from all sides at the moment. Explain how you feel and say your finding it hard to sleep due to the worry etc. You will be signed off with stress for at least a week so RM can stick it.

Your family comes first mate and the job can wait.
I would do this ^^^.
I'm not a regular here, more a lurker.
Sorry to hear of the hard time you are having right now.
As everyone else has said this firm can be absolutely beyond
in circumstances like these.

Another port of call might be the Roland Hill fund for financial assistance:
http://www.rowlandhillfund.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by hampshireman »

Jimmy Carr`s laugh wrote:I have childcare issues, and I start my duty earlier than everyone else, so if they make me do a PnL, im screwed for childcare. Plus my pre school days are booked a month in advance, so swopping my day off causes other issues too, and more debt. Anyways that wasnt the issue.

Area rep says he sorted my paid leave with the area manager on Friday night, the dom was told, yet still put me through as unpaid, so i`ll lose £120 out this weeks wage, meaning once my direct debits go out I cant feed my kids - I cant stop my direct debits as theyve already entered the system according to my bank, so ive got around £40 to feed 5 people for 7 days - its worse than big brother. No drinks at the wake for me - mind you, with no food in me, i`ll only need half a lager and i`ll wana sleep.

They never rang me to offer lieu days, or taking future leave off me, just stopped me 2 days pay, despite being told not too.

I have to get my local rep to find out what exactly has been stopped tommorrow and then the area guy is taking it up with the area manager.

I did say a few days ago how unsympathetic they are didnt I :cuppa
Appalling in the extreme.

Go back to the 'Management' and demand payment for the days lost.

E-mail Moya immediately. You will get a response.

Take care . I know how you are feeeling
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by General Mannerheim »

Great place to work for :roll: :roll: but nothing surprises me with this shite management.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by Himaggen »

This is perfect for Moya, provide the story laid out as you have here giving the Reps and Manager names.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by krussel »

Trouble is you try to do the right thing as your not really thinking straight due to the pressure your under and they dont give a damn and you end up out of pocket. I learned this many years ago.

Most other employers judge you on your previous working performance and if its a genuine one off situation they will support you to help you come out the other side in one piece. Not with RM however as you are treated the same as if you have tried this sort of thing week in week out.

My only advice is to simply go off sick with stress and sort it out when you get your feet back on the ground. At least you get paid. :neutral:

Hope things settle down once the funeral is out the way. I assume your daughter is doing ok now ?.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
shuffler3
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 27
Joined: 29 Jun 2009, 21:44
Gender: Male

Re: FATHER IN LAW DEAD

Post by shuffler3 »

Reading your posts you are stressed out through management issues!!!! You need to see your doctor!!!.............shocking to read this!!!

I dread to think of the day something happens my Aunt....Since my mothers death some years ago she took over reins!!!
Will be the end of my employment with Royal Mail if i get treated like that..........hard to believe what i read in those posts!!!